ad: elecraft

Cuban Government Jamming 40 meter US HAM BAND

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by K4KKC, Jul 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AE5DX

AE5DX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry for this dumb question folks; I've seen the question here, have scanned this thread, but I've yet to find an answer: Why only 40?

KO4ESA and AG5DB like this.
  2. N4ZAW

N4ZAW Ham Member QRZ Page

I totally agree with both of you because we can do both.. #1 Do whatever it takes within reason to carry on QSO's in the midst of Cuban government tyranny, but #2; we sure don't have to be happy about it, or even pretend to be.
    Question: As the "primary" users of the allocated portion of40M, can't we ask our local OO's to 'notify' the FCC of malicious interference? I don't know of any around here, but I sure would if I did.

K4ABX and KO4ESA like this.
  3. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Most used due to propagation and antenna restrictions.

KO4ESA and AE5DX like this.
  4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm quite sure the US government is well aware of the jamming, including on the marine frequencies which can cause navigational and life safety problems.

But yes, one could complain to the ARRL which then complains to the FCC but they have no jurisdiction outside the US. They in turn could (and perhaps already have) complained to the ITU. But in practice each member country can break the regulations in their own national interest, and some do it routinely.

KG4RRH and KO4ESA like this.
  5. KG5RKP

KG5RKP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm with you on all except this. "Use it Lose it" is very much in play, especially since there's so much pressure to appropriate our bands for commercial use, and since the FCC have shown they think cash flow is good and more cash flow is better. Working through and/or around the jamming is good - it's necessary! So is making noise when there's stuff there that shouldn't be. I've heard real anger on the bands when someone thinks "their" regular freq is being 'stolen' from then, yet this big chunk of 'denial of service' seems to get little more than 'ho hum'. It doesn't communicate a useful message to the ARRL, IARU, ITU, or FCC when we roll over and play dead.

K4ABX and KO4ESA like this.
  6. K4KKC

K4KKC Ham Member QRZ Page

We are concerned about that part of the band because it is where the USA Hams usually gather to communicate with the Cuban Hams. Cuban Hams are limited to using surplus QRP equipment and in some cases homebrew single band rigs on stealth antennas.

KO4ESA, AE5DX and KG5RKP like this.
  7. K4KKC

Andrew,
    Don't take our word for it please get on 40Meters and ask around. You'll be surprised what you can pick up if you just listen for a while.

KO4ESA likes this.
  8. K4KKC

Bob,
    The answer here might be to report it and gather as much data as possible in order to build sufficient supporting evidence against the
    SOSCuba 40M Jammers and just maybe we might get that part of the band back.

KO4ESA and KG5RKP like this.
  9. K4KKC

This is why we need to keep reporting the SOSCuba Jammers. The part of OUR 40 BAND is being infringed upon by an outside entity.

KO4ESA and KG5RKP like this.
  10. AE5DX

AE5DX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very good, thanks. That clears it up quite a bit.

KO4ESA and (deleted member) like this.
  11. KG5RKP

KG5RKP Ham Member QRZ Page

Please don't misunderstand - This isn't about taking anyone's word for it - it's clear we're being jammed. I just want more hams to report the jamming.

N4ZAW, KO4ESA, W4DRO and 1 other person like this.
  12. K4KKC

Andrew,
    Please talk about it to your local hams on the repeater nets or anywhere you can share the information and lets give this situation the attention it deserves.

KO4ESA likes this.
  13. KO4ESA

KO4ESA Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. Just as you keep a log of contacts. Keep a log of time and frequency that the jamming is occurring on. Then post it in a forum specifically for reporting jamming.
    Hfunderground has a spot where some are reporting the jamming.
    Much can be done. Just acknowledge that this is a frequency infringement. It has consequences for those that need to be able to communicate. What if you only had ham radio to communicate with your family. But you couldn’t contact them becaus a frequency was jammed.
    Each action is a step closer to it getting resolved more quickly.

N2EY, W7ASA and (deleted member) like this.
  14. KO4ESA

KO4ESA Ham Member QRZ Page

15. K4ABX

K4ABX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly this. Whenever someone calls CQ on a Net freq, the OMs get their jimmies rustled and will be quick to run you off the frequency and complain about it even after the fact. But when almost the entire Extra portion of the band is jammed, no one talks about it or were expected to "find an open freq" and carry on. If we dont make our voices heard with the ARRL and FCC, whos to say they wont incorporate "use it or lose it" sometime the future?" " Hey remember when the extra portion was jammed and they didnt care? Lets just appropriate part of it for commercial." All hypothetical. Just trying to make a point.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    KG5RKP, KO4ESA, W4DRO and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.