ad: cq2k-1

Cuban Government Jamming 40 meter US HAM BAND

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by K4KKC, Jul 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

". . . BE SURE TO DRINK YOUR OVALTINE."

KO4ESA, NY4Q and WN1MB like this.
  2. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I could go for a tall cold glass of Ovaltine about now...

KO4ESA and KC7JNJ like this.
  3. K4KKC

K4KKC Ham Member QRZ Page

KO4ESA and W4DRO like this.
  4. KG5RKP

KG5RKP Ham Member QRZ Page

With respect, that's not what's happening here. The internet was firewalled, but the lines were not cut. Cubans using VPNs could still connect to the outside world through the outage. (Takeaway number 1: everyone should be using a VPN today, on home computers and on their phones - it keeps Google from knowing one's show size and gives practice for travel - even if all we want to do is use Netflix when out of the US...). Moving on...in the event that an authoritarian government is cracking down hard on their population (north korea, china, etc.) it can be very dangerous to exhale RF because it's so easy to track. In that sort of environment, one would best use OSS tactics from WWII to keep transmissions short and keep moving... or keep using their Starlink terminal...

KC1OCA and KO4ESA like this.
  5. NY4Q

NY4Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Or maybe..."BEWARE OF PARTS SWAPPERS"...

N3FAA, KO4ESA, WC8E and 2 others like this.
  6. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We know about the Jammers, the protests, where the TDoA have pointed the source of the jamming to be. On another thread that was alive before this one started, a very experienced person with a commercial TDoA has also posted they are jamming the 4mhz and 8mhz maritime freqs. Some of that is coming from a South America country of the same party as the Cuba Government.

And the sound in USB-Data sounds like a large group of frogs far away from you

KO4ESA, KI6NAZ, W4DRO and 1 other person like this.
  7. K4KKC

8. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Two Station Fix.png I worked with KiwiSDR doing some TDOA DF'ing early this afternoon. Propagation was not strong initially, but improved as I worked.

Geometry of stations is just as important as with it is with conventional DF technicques.

-I found the Kiwi algorithm apparently cannot solve for alternate positions outside the triangle of stations.

About 2000Z, on 15 July, I was able to get a strong hyperbolic Line Of Bearing, LOB on signal at 7140kc using two DF stations. I paid close attention to selecting a strong signal at both sites, with separation from adjacent jamming signals, and used a narrow bandwidth filter. I believe this is a credible resolution and confirming other DF reports of a source in NW Cuba.

KO4ESA likes this.
  9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I love that!

Venezuela's is ruled out because they're already jamming the maritime marine frequencies

KO4ESA and K8XG like this.
  10. K4KKC

Thanks Bill!

KO4ESA likes this.
  11. K4KKC

If you want to hear this live we are now on La Rueda #SOSCuba 7.150 LSB. Join us if you wish to participate.

KO4ESA, K8XG and KI6NAZ like this.
  12. VA7LBA

VA7LBA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As someone who has spent some time in Cuba and fell in love with the land and the people, I hope everyone is safe down there. I don't understand why the Cuban government would chose to block just one band when there are so many. Could this not be interference for another reason , ie radar?

K2XT, KO4ESA and W2VW like this.
  13. WB9LUR

WB9LUR Ham Member QRZ Page

Radar? Maybe it was radar that was jamming all the Radio Marti frequencies last night too...not.

KO4ESA likes this.
  14. N1SER

N1SER Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why is this thread not on the QRZ homepage?

KC1OCA, KO4ESA, W4DRO and 1 other person like this.
  15. K4VBB

K4VBB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Odd signals on 40m between about 7142 and 7159. These signals are relatively evenly spaced, are about 2K wide, and do not appear to contain any sort of data or meaningful information. I'm hearing them from central CO.

Anyone?

KO4ESA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.