ad: M2Ant-1

FCC fees for amateur radio - updates on implementation

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N2RJ, Jul 9, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to remember that this fee is only supposed to cover the costs of processing the application, nothing more.

N2EY, M1WML, KO4ESA and 2 others like this.
  2. NE2NE

NE2NE Ham Member QRZ Page

There should be a fee for complaining

N0CEL, N3IOE, M1WML and 2 others like this.
  3. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Which, if there was one, many here would be more than happy to pay. Multiple times.

Regards,
    -Bruce

K8PG, M1WML and KO4ESA like this.
  4. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

A "complaining fee" could generate a lot of revenue.

I recall that one of the now retired officials at our regulator in one of his darker moments
    suggested that complaints about amateur radio only should be received and discussed
    on a "900-number" having a minute charge not below SEK 100...

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

M1WML, KO4ESA and W7ASA like this.
  5. N9UTJ

N9UTJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here

M1WML and KO4ESA like this.
  6. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd happily pay for services rendered. I'll pay this, but do not expect any service at all.

OTOH - I had a German ham license which required commitment to aquire, cost more than what is being charged here. However, when a complaint was made about RFI, they VERY PROFESSIONALLY investigated my station, then located the actual problem elsewhere, notified the responsible party, informed the complaintant that my radio station was NOT to blame and there was never a repeat. They did all this within two hours of arrival.

K8PG, KC1ILH, KR3DX and 5 others like this.
  7. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If this doesn't send a dismal signal about Amateur Radio's today's presence and consideration of how we were once A FREE RESOURCE to the masses...

YES! We've been considered as nothing more than HOBBYISTS for a very long time...instead of the Amateur Radio Service. As a past ARES EC in Orange County , FL, I KNOW what the present state of volunteerism and emergency preparedness has degraded over 20 years. And NOT just in Orange County, FL! WHY IN WORLD would the entities who once relied on Amateur Radio require us now? AFTER ALL, these very same entities now own the latest and GREATEST of communication equipment, why would they needed that ole "winning hand" to be ready as the "last resort" when they have all they need? Who wants a bunch of >>unprepared<<ham radio boys and girls getting in the way of all their modernization?

To that end, please consider your rebuttals should you have any. I may no longer be in "THE ARES LOOP" but, suffice to say, I've stayed current on the nature of emergency preparedness, the status of available and trained volunteers in numerous regions...and why communities and their respective EOCs "suspect" why we're no longer needed.

In the end...

WHERE DO I TURN IN MY RECEIPTS FOR THE MONEY I'VE SPENT ON ARES/RED CROSS DEPLOYMENTS SINCE 1985?

8. N0NC

N0NC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Our local EOC thinks all they need are thier cell phones.

M1WML, KO4ESA and K5TUE like this.
  9. N8QWS

N8QWS Ham Member QRZ Page

So does this mean that the FCC will be paying the long time voluntary VE's who donate their time for free to administer the testing and file the applications for new Amateurs?? I also wonder if this is just for new licenses or if it will be for renewals or license class changes and if there would be different amounts of fees for these different processes..

10. N8QWS

They lost me in the volunteer aspect when they started requiring that you prove your worthiness by taking tests on conforming to the government system.. If there was an disaster you would not be allowed to hand out coffee and take out the trash without 3 certifications > REALLY?? Was told that if you were caught clearing downed trees in front of your own property the police would arrest you > REALLY?? If there was a disaster and you did not have certification you would be ordered to stay off the air during declared area emergencies, violating this would mean confiscation of equipment and a fine > REALLY?? This all started about 15 to 20 years ago when the bureaucrats saw something they wanted to control, these are the same people who took days to get food and water to disaster areas..

KC1ILH, M1WML and KO4ESA like this.
  11. N8QWS

If they have a thousand cell phones and chargers to hand out in an EMP proof Faraday cage along with a few mobile Cellular repeaters to stage in areas for total coverage maybe they don't.. Otherwise they will just kick in your door and confiscate any working gear you have which seems to be the plan now days..

12. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You want to complain! Look at these shoes. I've only had them three weeks and the heels are worn right through.

KO4ESA likes this.
  13. N2EY

No. VE means Volunteer Examiner.

Why not do some RESEARCH?

This isn't a new thing just being announced.

There will be fees for new licenses, renewals, upgrades and vanity calls. Address changes will be free.

KC1ILH, W7ASA, KD5BVX and 1 other person like this.
  14. N2EY

Thanks!

Parking at the doctor and amateur licenses have never really been free. They were just paid for differently.

In the case of our licenses, the taxpayers have been subsidizing us for decades.

If they took installment plans it would be more.

If a person can't afford the license, how can they afford the radio?

Pass the hat every 10 years.

The reality is that we've been getting a free ride from the taxpayers for 44 years. We get to use pretty nice slices of spectrum, a wide variety of modes, power up to 1500 watts, using almost any radio gear we want - isn't that worth less than a penny a day?

Is your income the same as it was 10 years ago?

8% of $35.00 is $2.80

It was your legislators in Congress who passed Ray Baum's act, which REQUIRED FCC to enact fees.

And....there is a way to get a FREE renewal, if you act fast.

----

What has really happened is that The Congress has decided that those who have the benefit of transmitting on the radio spectrum should pay for it, rather than being subsidized. And thus the license fees.

Part of your cell phone bill pays for the spectrum auctions.

KD5BVX and KO4ESA like this.
  15. W5DMA

W5DMA Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't mind to pay fee if the FCC stands behind the statement on every f...ing item's label that it shouldn't cause harmful interferences. Now with noise floor of S9 I have to forget about having DX QSOs even though my signals reach far far away. All I have is the Reverse Beacon Network reports that say I have been heard when I actually can't hear back any weak signal, so it's a NO NO for me for any license yearly fees. One time fee is OK though. Not to even mention permanent RTTY services exactly on the FT8 frequencies and other commercial services within the HAM bands.

KO4ESA likes this.