ad: Radclub22-1

Why do Ham Fests start at 6:30 AM?

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports & Videos' started by W9FL, Jul 11, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

The South Milwaukee ARC Swapfest was this past Saturday. It started at 6;30 AM. It was supposed to go till 3:30 PM. I got there at 1 PM and everyone had either left, or was packing up.

What is the deal with fests starting at 6:30 in the morning. No one else does that. Craft Fairs, Gun Shows, you name it, NO ONE starts that early.

Which insomniac hams decide to start things this early? It is absolutely insane! And this is "normal" for any Ham related events in this area.

N0EE, KA2MWS, KM4MA and 4 others like this.
  2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Usually such an early time is for the sellers and vendors to setup their tables and displays, and the public attendance starts later, say 8 am.

Around here, the big prize drawings tend to be at noon or 1 pm, and once that's over people start leaving, except for classes and licensing exams that might go later.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    N9YB, N4FZ, K2HAT and 2 others like this.
  3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

It's the tyranny of the morning people, the same bozos that start high school at 7am, despite common sense about teenagers and sleep...

K7MAP, W0PMS, KA2MWS and 14 others like this.
  4. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

"The early worm gets the Bird..." :)

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

KI5DQ, KA2MWS, W4II and 7 others like this.
  5. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

If it was in Arizona, in the summer, I would say it would be due to the fact that it would only be 92 degrees then, compared to 110 at noon.

K7MAP, KA2MWS, N2EY and 10 others like this.
  6. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Laughs in U.S. military. 0400 comes early.

KA0USE, N2UHC, KC0KEK and 4 others like this.
  7. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Strange behavior indeed. The last time (years ago) that I bought a table at an hamfest, I was mobbed at the door by all the early birds. Mind you, this was on the Friday evening prior to the Saturday opening. Most of my "good stuff" was gone ten minutes after I went in the door. I spent most of the hamfest sitting at my table with my fellow ham watching the folks walk by our table. I did walk thru myself, but my aim in getting a table was to get rid of stuff, not pick up new stuff. Some of the stuff never did sell and it's all still in the basement collecting dust...

N8COO, KM4MA, KA0USE and 4 others like this.
  8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Would you like some cheese to go with that whine?
    Or Drake. Or Cygnet. Or Swan. Or Eagle.

WG8Z, N8AFT and N3RYB like this.
  9. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It gets hot early in the summer. Also it allows for getting both lunch and afternoon nap time in.

Afternoon naps are the best...

K7MAP, KL7KN, KR2C and 2 others like this.
  10. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

It doesn't get that hot here.

And if you sleep until a decent hour, you don't need a nap.

I am retired now, but for a while where I worked, if we volunteered for overtime on Saturdays, (extra money), the guys all liked to start 2 hours earlier than normal (5 AM instead of 7 AM) so they could get out 2 hours early and still have some time left for Saturday activities.

Well this meant I would have to get up at 4 AM to get there on time. Then when I got home I felt dragged out and tired. So I would take a nap. Which meant I was no further ahead, but I had to drag myself out of bed 2 hours early. It made no sense.

So I just worked the normal hours.

I still think it's crazy the way the swapfests start so early around here. The lady at the gate who collected the money, told me some guy showed up at 4:30 AM, and wanted to know if they were open yet.:eek:

KM4MA, N4FZ, N6HCM and 1 other person like this.
  11. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, but this is Wisconsin. The high yesterday was 73 degrees F.

12. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank God I am retired!

For years, I got up at 5:15 AM to get to work at 6:45, which was not fun, but I got used to it.

Now the cat wakes me up about 6:30 AM, and no way in heck am I going to get anywhere before 9 AM, a somewhat reasonable hour.

For a while years ago, I worked the second shift which was 2:45 PM until 10:45 PM. I always felt the best during those hours and was the most productive. A great shift, except you don't get to do much with family.

K5MUG, N6HCM and AD7SK like this.
  13. WN1MB

I'll grant you that 6am is a rather early start time for the general public. However, it is what it is. Perhaps jumping your coffee's octane up a level or two might help.

N6HCM, K0UO, WD4ELG and 2 others like this.
  14. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do Ham Fests start at 6:30 AM?

BECAUSE THE MANAGEMENT
    OWNS THE COFFEE CONCESSION.

coffee concession SMALL.jpg
    https://smallbusiness.chron.com/make-money-coffee-concessions-67047.html

radio_coffee_qrz (1).jpg
    COFFEE CUP FUEL FOR CONTESTING.jpg

KF5KWO, W5TTP, N1VAU and 8 others like this.
  15. WN1MB

Coffee: breakfast of champions!

W2JEL, KF5KWO, W5TTP and 5 others like this.