ad: M2Ant-1

HR2.0: Yaesu Lunchtime Livestream with John Kruk

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Jul 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Today I welcome John Kruk from Yaesu onto the Livestream to talk about the new FTdx-10 and new things upcoming at Yaesu.

NU4R, JF1IRQ, W4BTH and 3 others like this.
  2. VE3EEI

VE3EEI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Loved John when he was with the Phillies...

K0YQ, M1WML, N2RIC and 6 others like this.
  3. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope John Kruk reads these comments, as I have one comment.

I had a FT-891 in my 2018 Ford Explorer with the ATAS-102A... worked awesome! Quality DIY install, but the microphone was the cheapest piece of junk. I felt like I could crush it with the same amount of force as a peanut.

Wish the "Big Three" would work on designing a microphone as a good as a Motorola or Kenwood commercial microphone.

If you're an ISO-9000 company, please consider this Customer Feedback.

AJ6KZ, K4YNZ, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  4. KO2Q

KO2Q Lifetime Member 562 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Elecraft shipped a POS hand mic with my KX2 (stripped screws from new so I taped it to hold it shut), so it ain't just Yaesu.

In fact the Elecraft hand mic looks exactly like the mic I got when I bought my Icom 28A some 32 years ago, the name was of course different, and no UP/DN buttons, so there you go.

M1WML likes this.
  5. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Cheap handmikes are just an up-sell mechanism for more expensive desktop microphones.

M1WML likes this.
  6. N8LEK

N8LEK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting point about the Elecraft hand mic. I have an Icom IC-2000 from the 90s with the same mic. And I cannot believe Elecraft charges $69.95 for it.

KO2Q and M1WML like this.
  7. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m not sure which big three you’re talking about but the Kenwood mics on the amateur equipment are already beefy. The new MC-62 for the amateur side is just as nice or nicer than the previous, modeled after the commercial side.

Icom and for sure Yaesu could take some hints, though the new Yaesu SSM-85 is a step in the right direction for them.

M1WML likes this.
  8. K4DVW

K4DVW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The SSM-75 with FDTX10 seems very sturdy, and audio quality reports have been excellent.

M1WML and KD5BVX like this.
  9. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am talking about, KENWOOD, ICOM and YEASU. In ham parlance, often referred to as the The Big Three. I've seen a huge difference in quality and performance between hammy-ham gear microphones and commercial microphones.

M1WML likes this.
  10. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with you overall but I do think Kenwood's are pretty good. Solid, at least on their 2m/70cm radios. Yaesu has always seemed cheap and flimsy. Icom, eh kind of middle of the road. Commercial is always going to be beefier but I agree they could up their game a little on the hand mics overall and not hurt my feelings.

KQ1V and M1WML like this.
  11. K9ARM

K9ARM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have found the MH-31 that Yaesu supplies with various radios sound generally pretty poor, although I have heard some good SSB audio from FT-891's and FT-991A's using the MH-31. I have been running MH-25a8j Vertex mics for a long time on an FT-100d, FT-857d & FT-891. My recordings show that it sounds much better, big dynamic element and case similar to the Motorola hand mics. They are not made any more, but you can find them on ebay. The only mod I do to them is to open them and remove the ground wire to the hang up button used for hang up squelch on the commercial radios. Plenty of output, I keep the mic gain down to 15 on my FT-857 mobile and close talk about an inch with the mic sideways about 30 deg. The case gets discolored after a while, but I don't care. Works for me.

At home on an FT-891, I've been using a Behringer XM-8500 ($20 mic) on a boom. I opened up the transmit bandwidth to 2.6 and get great reports. There are alternatives....

KD5BVX and M1WML like this.
  12. N6NLX

N6NLX Ham Member QRZ Page

I was hoping to hear about new radios coming out this year. But I didn’t have the patience to watch the whole thing. I just scanned through it and all I saw was a new microphone. I was hoping for something similar to an ic-705.

13. KO2Q

KO2Q Lifetime Member 562 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I can believe it! Charge what you can I guess.

By the way, the POS Elecraft mic did have UP/DN buttons, the Icom mics came with or without a DTMF keypad on the back, so the only difference between it and the Icom mic of old is the name sticker thereon. Recycled junk.

14. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember that Yaesu stands for:YAESU = Yet Another Excuse Simply Useless.I have found many of them to be just that so I am a Die Hard ICOM MAN these days because of it.The FT-857D was Terrible as was the ATAS-120A & the FT-2800 so I quit torturing myself & now run the Best of the BEST & with ease that's ICOM.I do have a very dependable Yaesu G-800SDX Rotor which has been in service for about 20 years.

Clayton
    W4KVW

N0KEW likes this.
  15. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

YEASU is a Mythical Radio. {:>)

Clayton
    W4KVW