ad: chuckmartin

QSO Today with Tom Perera W1TP

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by 4Z1UG, Jul 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. 4Z1UG

4Z1UG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

upload_2021-7-4_21-6-25.png upload_2021-7-4_21-6-25.jpeg

Tom Perera, W1TP, has a collection of over 3000 Morse code keys and bugs going back to pre-American Civil War, perhaps the largest collection in the World. He displays these keys in his virtual, on-line museum. W1TP shares with me the history of his collection, some interesting stories, and his newest interest and collection of military cipher machines, including the WW2 German Enigma, in this QSO Today.

KC1HLU, AA5BK, W0IW and 5 others like this.
  2. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

ERIC,

THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS FB PODCAST REGARDING TOM W1TP.

OVER THE YEARS I HAVE MET HIM AT THE VARIOUS HAM RADIO HAM EVENTS
    HERE IN NEW ENGLAND.

TOM IS AN OUTSTANDING HUMANITARIAN.

HATS OFF.jpg

W0IW, KJ4BFH and M1WML like this.
  3. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not interested in an Enigma but if you have an extra KW-7 you'd like to part with, send me a note :)

AE0Q, M1WML and AJ6KZ like this.
  4. HB9EPC

HB9EPC Ham Member QRZ Page

Bonjour Tom, bravo pour ta magnifique collection et la patience que j'imagine aussi... Je te joint une image de mon MK2/ type 3. [​IMG]

W0IW, M1WML and K1LKP like this.
  5. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

HI ZEDDERS,

WITH PERMISSION FROM AI4FR - JOHN CFO # 1050
    I AM FORWARDING AN EMAIL THAT JOHN SHARED
    WITH THE CFO GROUP.

THIS ALL HAPPENED ABOUT 1 YEAR AGO.

John Whitt - ai4fr.john@gmail.com

to Chicken-Fat-Operators-Club@googlegroups.com

When I was researching a left hand Les Logan bug(see link) a year ago I ran into Tom. Below is the story.

https://ai4fr.com/main/page_ham_radio_cw_les_logan_515l.html

One of the best things that happened due to the les logan key is that I got in contact by email with W1TP who is the author of the telegraph collectors guide.

He verified the key was indeed a left handed model. Anyways, I asked if I could get an autograph copy of his book and CD.

I never got a reply except for a week later I received a package in the mail from him which was his book and CD with both being autographed.

So the very next day I sent him payment and a thank you letter for the items even though he did not ask for any funds.

John / AI4FR

JOHN EXPRESSED HOW HELPFUL TOM WAS.

THANK YOU JOHN

@AI4FR

AA5BK and W0IW like this.
  6. W1RC

W1RC Subscriber QRZ Page

Tom and I have been friends for over forty years...... nice to see see this historian and gentleman recognized

HB9EPC and W0IW like this.
  7. W0IW

W0IW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Being avid wwii fanatic see my qrz page ((( Wow just wow )))

8. WA8Y

WA8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I knew that was an enigma machine! Your key collection must be amazing. I'll have to listen to the podcast.

9. KZ4TN

KZ4TN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember his displays at Nearfest in NH. His booth was always a photo stop on our rounds and so fascinating.

KB1MM likes this.
  10. N2AWA

N2AWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom has always been interesting at the annual AWA Conference in Rochester. He brings good examples of (and fascinating data on) Enigma machines.

11. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HEY TOM!!!
    Your "Podcast" with ERIC was fascinating!!! Especially as concerned "TELEGRAPH KEYS" that you have!!! I mention that because I HAVE A "REPLICA" OF "ALFRED VAIL'S" HAND KEY SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR "SAMUEL FB MORSE" CREATED BACK IN 1844!!! But being a AVID CW OP we now have a "BEGALI SCULPTURE KEYING PADDLE!!! Even though the "BEGALIs" aren't CHEAP, THEIR EASE OF OPERATION ARE VERY, VERY SWEET!!!

Age here is 74 & our HAM RADIO CAREER SPANS 58yrs, and our mode LOVE IS "INTERNATIONAL MORSE CODE"!!! :)

Jim Davis-NN6EE

12. YC1LNE

YC1LNE Ham Member QRZ Page

YDILNE