ad: elecraft

What to Do BEFORE Moving to an HOA

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Jun 28, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that I no longer have a job associated with FedGov and my current company is WFH-friendly, after Thing 2 is out of the house, we'll be looking to get out of here as well. My vote is for the WV or TN mountains, but SWMBO wants to be closer to the beach (she grew up in the mountains and has no love for them).

Chris

M1WML and KD8ZM like this.
  2. K4YNZ

K4YNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Most copy and paste. We found one HOA that required permits from the town next door. Cable company helped drive it. Ban antenna and we will wire subdivision. Power company pushes underground utility. The worst case is roads. If your roads are not up to code they do not get accepted. HOA is then on the hook for maintenance.
    We moved out as far as we could taking in consideration Doctors, hospital access and landing zone medical EVAC.

KF5KWO, M1WML and N0TZU like this.
  3. KF5KWO

KF5KWO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If your particular family/career needs mean you’ll be in an HOA or CCR-controlled QTH, then so be it. But accept that and take the severe antenna restrictions or the outright ban as a challenge, not an obstacle. When I did that, I enjoyed ham radio much more and didn’t grouse over it or play the “woe is me” song. Here’s some concrete things that I did, but after I moved to my current QTH.

1. Go to https://haminfo.tetranz.com/map, plug in the address of the property and see how many hams are in the vicinity, then check out their QRZ pages and see how active they are, what antennas they have, etc. You might find some hams with stealth antennas that you can partner with to give you a hand with your setup.

2. Take pics of the property you’re interested in from the street, from different places on the street. This will give you an idea of what other residents can see while they’re walking/driving by. Some streets provide an awful lot of eyeball time of your property, so consider how many seconds and from what vantage point a driver would be looking directly into your yard, or how long a walker can feast his/her eyes on your yard. The pics will help you identify places in your yard to avoid putting something, or at least put some vegetation in to help conceal anything you do or put up.

3. Scope out your trees and natural cover. Wire antennas can easily be hidden, and some verticals can be as well. See how well the the trees/cover conceal your house, provide thick areas for hidden antennas, etc.

4. Scope out what other people have in their yards. It won’t be antennas, of course, but the presence of yard art and other stuff means “stuff in the yard” won’t really stand out too much, which might be a good way to disguise, for instance, a magnetic loop antenna.

5. Remember the experimental nature of ham radio. Remember that most everything will work, but you have to accept your limitations. Are you used to 500 watts SSB and pointing your yagi toward Europe or Asia and working anyone you want? Well, you may end up with a dipole, EFHW, magnetic loop, or something else compromised and find yourself shut out of those cool openings. Maybe it’s time to work on your Morse skills or explore digital HF so you can use much less power but still get through. Consider the ham satellites. Consider working only mobile. Or find the local parks in your area and go all-POTA for a while. It can be done!

73 de Jeff, KF5KWO
    Helotes, TX
    stealth ham on HF since 2003

N5MJ, K3SZ, K2NCC and 4 others like this.
  4. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

M1WML and KF5KWO like this.
  5. NE1LL

NE1LL Ham Member QRZ Page

HOA's are inherently. Builders use them in municipal jurisdictions to gain cod waivers, delete sidewalks and get variances. Cities collect the same taxes on gated communities while sloughing off city service on the HOA. Roads, retention ponds and police services and hydrants are left to the community.

As an annuity stream gate house and community center/rec halls and fitness centers are leased to the community on a 99 year lease. My old community the gate house which was similar to a one car garage had a rent of about $4,600 per month on a "triple net lease." Add our cable service was on a community contract with no option to opt out.

Funny my community allowed basketball hoops, parking on sidewalks and signs galore. A simple two meter antenna on your car and the guard would block your entry!

M1WML and N0TZU like this.
  6. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I removed my post. I

M1WML likes this.
  7. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Instead of offering meaningful help, I see the usual “Anti-Everything” QRZ crowd is dominating this thread with their predictable rhetoric.

M1WML likes this.
  8. K3BR

K3BR Ham Member QRZ Page

The CCR's of our gated community stated no external antennas. We placed a contingency clause in the sales contract (new home, small lot) for a 43 foot monopole. Submitted the usual docs, location on plot plan, not visible from the street, copy of ticket, direct communication with local public safety, etc. The HOA granted permission straightaway; maybe the builder was leaning on them. However, we were willing to stand our ground and bail out. I reckon they knew that. Of course, it helps if there are enough trees around to shoot wires for the higher bands. Who is going to look up at a grove of trees in the backyard, especially on common property? And, the neighbors are great. So, there are some things one can do. You learn to be patient working DX and become a better op.
    73 de K3BR

M1WML, KF5KWO and N0TZU like this.
  9. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

The most precious advice about what to do before moving into an HOA restricted area is, "dude, you'd better think this through, because after the fact, you're pretty much stuck". And it's been repeated - some 10 pages worth - on this forum, at the time of this comment. Freedom is a wonderful thing, but only if one takes advantage of it. From my own point of view, the mandatory water retention pond and the fountain with the colored lights just isn't worth the trouble a single, self-important HOA-cop will cause ... and that neighborhood is gonna be FULL of them .... and it won't be just about ham antennas!

M1WML and K2EIR like this.
  10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What about the AM/FM whip antenna on many vehicles? Did the HOA/covenants get THAT specific?

M1WML likes this.
  11. KD7YVV

KD7YVV Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem is people, their attitudes, and wanting to get into business they have no business getting into.

When I sold my house in Ocean Shores, my wife and I had to move quickly and the only condo/apartment we could find
    was a building run by an HOA. Well, we moved in and the building dumpster was full and we couldn't fit some of
    the moving boxes. The condo owner forwarded me an email with the words "It has been reported that the new resident in your unit
    failed to place their moving boxes in the dumpster." Reported? OK. Not happy about that. Filed that in the brain for future reference.
    I replied directly to the HOA president myself explaining the dumpster was full. I was polite, even nice by Jersey standards.

I get a terse email back was told, well, you need to put your boxes in the dumpster.

I replied the dumpster was full and it was not possible. Well, let's say her attitude wasn't quite kind, threatening me with a fine etc.

My reply was, "What part of THE DUMPSTER WAS COMPLETELY FULL" did you fail to comprehend? Then I got the attitude
    that she was the HOA president etc. and a former police officer. Well, that got my Jersey attitude going, but I kept quiet.
    She said I could still be fined even as a renter. That clinched it. Jersey attitude kicked in.
    I told her where to take her attitude, and place it where the sun doesn't shine. We moved a month later.
    I didn't care if she was HOA president, a cop, or the Queen of England.

That being said, I never take kindly to someone lording a title or position over me like they're better than me or something.

I now live in a senior building where the gossip mongers look for any shred of information they can find about you.
    There was one maintenence man I hadn't met yet. A resident saw me walking down the hall and reported me to him.
    He comes blazing out of his office asking if I lived here, followiing me asking over and over. Now this is literally right
    after a phone call informing me my mother had passed away. I mean LITERALLY after that phone call.
    Lucky for him, the manager came out before I broke him in two. My attitude at the moment wasn't
    the best, and I did go to his office later and apologize and explained what happened. The timing at that moment was
    just totally wrong, so it does go both ways. I asked him, if in the future some resident wants to know anything about
    me, he reply "I don't know." Situation resolved.

The management here knows I'm a ham radio operator and have made no secret about it. I respect the no outside antennas rule.
    I can use something temporary with their blessing. I can go up to the roof garden late at night when most if not all the
    residents are in slumberland. I chose to move here for the conveniences, and since I am here, there are rules and they
    have to be followed. That was my choice. I can wheel the cart my radio is on to the elevator and go up to the roof garden.
    I have 100 feet of speaker wire I can lay behind the planters and roll it up when I'm done. I look at it as a challenge.

There is a problem or two with this idea however. You see, I can't drive an 8 ft ground rod through the roof. <GRIN>
    Also, there are no outside power outlets within the confines of the garden area. There is one I found that's outside the
    railing enclosing the garden area but it is being used by a set of lights and I can't reach it.
    There is an outlet in the vestebule leading to the elevator and I can probably use that, so that solves one problem.
    I figure late at night, no one will come up and trip on the 100 ft wire or the extension cord.

The only worry I have is setting off the fire alarm system with 100 watts, especially when there is no earth ground.
    There are silver conduits along the railing that I can reach and I found what looks like a ground (bare copper wire) but
    I'm not sure what the conduits are for, or what that bare copper wire is for. I'll look, but I won't touch.

There is also some sort of antenna up there like a
    microwave antenna that looks like a barbecue grille.
    Not sure what that's for either but it is defnitely directional.
    Any ideas on how to get back on HF would be truly appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    KD4MOJ and M1WML like this.
  12. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have any friends or relatives that you can set your gear and antenna up at? You could then run remotely. Just a thought.

M1WML likes this.
  13. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great post, Jeff. Thanks for contributing so widely and helpfully to the discussion.
    Quin, K8QS
    Subscribe to "Ham Radio Perspectives" YouTube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MJT8o8-XMxF8XROf7Q5GA/videos

M1WML and KF5KWO like this.
  14. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great idea. We should have addressed this topic in our video.
    Quin, K8QS
    Subscribe to "Ham Radio Perspectives" YouTube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MJT8o8-XMxF8XROf7Q5GA/videos

M1WML and KI5AAI like this.
  15. KN4SMF

KN4SMF Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a realtor in the Charlotte and surrounding area. I hate HOA areas. HOA's have always existed, but it's the "fair housing" laws that have cause the proliferation of HOAs. They are simply people's last line of defense in living in a stable neighborhood. But essentially it's a double tax. Just like private school is double tax. You pay the government their ransom to spend on their schools, and you pay again to send your child to a better school.
    A lot of people like HOA's, if they can afford it. But to a ham radio operator it's poison.

KB2SMS and M1WML like this.