ad: Alphaant-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 262 - Field Day Q&A 2021

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Jun 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you have a last minute question about Field Day? Paul Bourque, N1SFE, the ARRL Contest Manager, will be here to take your questions LIVE on our annual Field Day Q&A show! Call in and get the answers straight from the man in charge!

Tune into Ham Talk Live! Thursday night at 9 pm EDT (Friday 0100Z) by going to hamtalklive.com. When the audio player indicates LIVE, just hit the play button!

If you miss the show live, you can listen on demand anytime also at hamtalklive.com; or a podcast version is on nearly all podcast sites a few minutes after the live show is over. Some sites include Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, SoundCloud, Stitcher, Spreaker, TuneIn, Vurbl, and iHeart Podcasts; and it's also available on YouTube.

A replay is also broadcast on WTWW 5085 AM shortwave near Nashville, TN on Saturday nights at approximately 3:30 pm Eastern.

Be sure to CALL in with your questions and comments by calling 859-982-7373 live during the call-in segment of the show. You can also tweet your questions before or during the show to @HamTalkLive.

2021_FieldDay_Logo_web.jpg

KI5FUY, KC0KEK, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  2. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That silly ARRL FD logo... looks to me like field day is on a saline drip and the EKG monitor....
    Hope that's not foreshadowing the hobby these days...

Jokes aside, we will miss your participation in FD21, Neil. You and "Mrs VPG" have fun !!

WB9VPG, KQ1V, WA6Q and 2 others like this.
  3. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Looks better than last years goofiness. [​IMG]

M1WML likes this.
  4. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

5. AK5CT

AK5CT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll have to disagree with K9GLS. I liked last year's logo better.
    In my youth I had a Volkswagen Minibus, and in more recent years I've had the IV drips and the EKG monitors.
    The minibus was MUCH more fun ! ;)

KJ7ZJW, KD5KKH and IW3ILM like this.
  6. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

I liked last year's logo better as well. At first glance, this years looks like a medical thing going on :)

7. KB6LEE

KB6LEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Everybody has their opinions, but maybe instead of complaining, you could submit your sketch for the 2022 FD Logo. I chose my own Cycle 25 shot for my QSL card...

K6PLR likes this.
  8. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

They are called opinions. I don't really see anyone complaining. I guess we should not comment at all which one we like better and just submit ideas LOL

AK5CT likes this.
  9. AK5CT

AK5CT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Complaints ? What complaints ? Liking one year's logo over another is not a complaint . Like KI5AAI said, it's an opinion.
    McDonalds and Burger King both make hamburgers. If I like one better than the other, that is my opinion. It doesn't mean I'm complaining about the other.
    Come to think of it, if I had stayed away from both of those places, perhaps I would not have had to have those IV drips and EKG monitors.
    (Personally I enjoy Humor more than complaints)

W5BT, N0CEL and KI5AAI like this.
  10. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I gave up on the ARRL long ago so could care less if they had flying monkeys in their logo.

KM4FDM likes this.
  11. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No Morse key/paddles, no keyboard/display, just a tin can and a string....looks like a CB add to me.

12. KD5KKH

KD5KKH Ham Member QRZ Page

maybe for a future logo try this;since field day means differant things to people a vw bus for fun,this yrs symols for activity and a emrgency type radio setup for prepardness.idk hard pleasing en mass

13. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought the best FD logo was the '09, truly cool; classy, well thought out, and dignified. The worst, for me, being the dopey VW van with the CB antenna.

arrl 2009.jpg

This year's logo was god awful too, IMHO. I wish the "league" would go a little old school once in a while; I think what the ARRL offers often backfires to mediocrity. What the League thinks is cool, in Newington, is cheesy, embarrassing or even classless across the ham community.

Let me expand on the backfires comment. As an ARRL member (and I don't know why I belong to the ARRL to begin with) I can't stand QST. QST is chockful of articles and reviews that really try to sound highly technical and intelligent, yet fail the average ham. Also I find the rating scale exceptionally obscure (hint: try the 5 stars, or Likert 1-10 scale). QST offers the exact same advertisements in the exact same locations - month after month. The ARRL does not give its readers enough Customer Feedback, ala the Letters to the Editor either; very select and never controversial or thought provoking, all just a bunch of guys agreeing... it was more interesting when the CW Elimination Proposal was going on in '06... there was passion at least. The ARRL pushes the big three: Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu often overlooking Motorola gear, Military gear, Boat Anchors - less the page on antique radio.

While I am railing on the ARRL, I'd love to see an ARRL Manual like the 2005 edition, with all the charts, for resistors, caps, tubes, light bulbs, etc. in it, and less 'build a logic probe' or other DIY plans for things I am never going to make; likewise, the HF Operation Manual is a step ahead of Now You're Talking. Alas there is a market, but I think the ARRL is stuck in their ways and misses the mark - often.

So in closing, I'd argue that the ARRL is out of touch with its customers. I always let the subscription slip by, yet I always renew it. I never really read the letters or articles anymore, but I do read the Silent Key section.

Meh, just my two zloty.

AK5CT likes this.