ad: CQMM-1

Does the MFJ-1984MP need a tuner? I put it to the test.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5QBF, May 26, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC4IGO

KC4IGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Which push up pole did you use? Kc4igo

M1WML likes this.
  2. WA1ZCN

WA1ZCN Ham Member QRZ Page

I recall reading about another field test with this antenna, and they made the point that the height of the transformer and end of the wire element can have a big effect on SWR. That might be what you were seeing when you switched from the inverted V with the transformer near the ground to the inverted L with both ends closer to the ground. Might be worth an experiment.

M1WML likes this.
  3. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member QRZ Page

End-fed half-wave … end-fed quarter-wave … end-fed eighth wave …

Aren't they all just "long wires"?

Creative marketing techniques don't change what they really are.

M1WML and K5QBF like this.
  4. K5QBF

K5QBF Ham Member QRZ Page

It’s the Spiderbeam 12m

M1WML likes this.
  5. K5QBF

Actually the length of the wire is what signifies the wave. So for a 40m end fed half wave the element is 65.5ft long.
    40m is 131ft. So a full wave element is 131ft, a half’s wave is 66.5, a quarter wave is 32.7ft. An end fed cut to be resonant on a specific frequency is what sets it apart from a random wire which is cut so that’s it’s not resonant any frequency or it’s harmonic.

M1WML likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

All long wires are resonant. Resonance here is irrelevant. Its the current distributions-- which determine the power patterns.

An arbitrary longwire will likely not have a preferred, desirable power pattern at any ham band of interest. It will likely have lobes that will prevent useful operation at low angles, and at some azimuths, at one or more ham bands.

End feeding is just a mechanical convenience for a feed connection, made practical in modern times by ferrite toroids. and ferrite chokes.

Any SWR at the feedpoint can be conjugate matched/transformed by a decent tuner--if needed.

M1WML likes this.
  7. K1CWB

K1CWB Ham Member QRZ Page

Nicely done on the test and video. Although I enjoy making my own antennas it is nice to know that some commercially made antennas seem to actually do what they claim. At the price of the low powered version it might be worth a try for me.

8. KQ4CD

KQ4CD Ham Member QRZ Page

not bad at all 73

9. KB2QQM

KB2QQM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How does this antenna work on 30M ?

M1WML likes this.
  10. AF2B

AF2B Ham Member QRZ Page

I have this antenna in HP (800w version) but otherwise same, 1984HP 40-10, and I do not have the high SWR you on 28MHz. My max SWR on all the bands was at or below 1.3:1, 40m was literally flat like yours, my needle doesn't even move. I went from a shorty 40 dual band 40/20 dipole to this one and really saw an improvement in range and SWR. I like this one a lot.

11. K5QBF

It is cut for 40M, so you get the harmonics. 40/20/15/10m.

M1WML likes this.
  12. AG4I

AG4I Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video. Who makes the support pole you used? Also mfj? I would recommend experimenting with counterpoise wire or wires for the vertical/sloper config. I would start with one cut for 1/4 wave at middle of 40m using the old 234/freq in MHZ to get wire length in feet. 14g stranded should do fine. When it comes to ground wires for verticals, you will probably get as many opinions as responses, so have fun experimenting.

M1WML likes this.
  13. K5SOP

K5SOP Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice presentation. MFJ owes you, I just ordered one for portable use.

M1WML likes this.
  14. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

15. KO6M

KO6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,
    This sounds like my scenario (going from 40/20 to this EFHW). What height was your old antenna at? How is the EFHW positioned now? I'm trying to see if going this route is really a good idea or not. I haven't decided the EFHW orientation yet though. Just looking for more info from those who have paved the way.

Thanks! 73.