ad: QuirkyQRP-1

Dr. Tamitha Skov to discuss cycle 25, space weather, and more

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5ATA, Jun 23, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K5ATA

K5ATA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Join us tonight (June 23) at 7pm central as Dr. Skov joins us to talk about space weather, cycle 25, and more. Bring your questions!

VU3IBY, N1VAU, ON3KEL and 15 others like this.
  2. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks everyone.. The explanation of N0NBH's space wx chart starts @ 38:00 and is fun.. MUF out of Boulder "No Rpt" = no report.. Regarding the 6/4/2m Band section- "Closed". As Dr. Skov mentioned, this is a broad generalization. It's a good idea to look up the current MUF (D/E/F prop), Hepburn tropo maps, and Sporadic E condx (roughly 24MHz+) for your region. Es- we're well into the Seasonal condx that affect 'most' continents.. On the flip side, there is year-round HSMS and EME available, regardless of solar condx.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    KE6AYK, K5SLO, KC7ZXY and 2 others like this.
  3. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

great thanks for posting.. ;)

4. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

N4FZ, M1WML, KO4ESA and 1 other person like this.
  5. M0YRX

M0YRX Ham Member QRZ Page

DO1FER , time will tell if you are correct but as SC25 is up on SC24 in pretty much every aspect and currently looking like having a maximum amplitude of 151 ( based on SSN so far in cycle ) the talk of another type of "Dalton" minimum seems highly unlikely.
    Should be good for a laugh watching " The SpaceWeather Women " if nothing else. In the Y/tube era a quote from Prof. Fenyman seems apt.
    p f.jpg
    The Sun does what it wants not what humans predict.

KB1MM, MM0TFU, N4FZ and 6 others like this.
  6. K5ATA

K5ATA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks folks, Dr. Skov was fantastic... we could have gone on for hours, however there were some hard time limits. She will be back on in the near future to take some deeper dives and answer more questions.

N4FZ, KO4ESA, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  7. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes it was great just explained how the sun affects us radio ham guys.. well done to all involved..

N4FZ and KO4ESA like this.
  8. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think you can talk radio in relation to the sun without the effects from our weakening magnetic field. I tend to think all bets are off and predictions are useless.

M1WML and HB9EPC like this.
  9. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

DR TAMITHA SKOV CONGRATOULATION WERRY ACTIW BEST REGARDESRS BEST WISHES vy73 DJOAJ ekrem

10. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HIYA RICK!!!
    Really it's ALL ABOUT "EXPERIENCE" (LONG-TERM) using HF on a daily basis, and USING THE SOLAR REPORTS as a TOOL will give you a slight indication of what you can really EXPECT!!!

KE6AYK likes this.
  11. M0TTQ

M0TTQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The explanation of how unimportant planetary K is and how irrelevant the A index is was very interesting. I think a lot of people who sit on Facebook complaining "The K index is high, I won't bother turning the rig on" should be forced to watch it repeatedly.

K0UO likes this.
  12. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

The Sun does what it wants not what humans predict.[/QUOTE]

M0YRX, I just said that there are tendencies. Not that it will become true. The Sun is surely chaotic. But a minimum is a minimum. Equal which name it will get this time.

N8ZI likes this.
  13. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Routinely those propagation forecasters report poor band conditions yet i can still work good DX from my mediocre station.
    That is the primary reason I stopped having faith in what they predict.
    Too many operators bow to the propaganda without even turning the rig on and that leads to inactive bands more than poor conditions.

The sun has been around for roughly 4.5 billion years while Homo sapiens, who are the modern form of humans evolved 300,000 years ago. Intelligent humans are much less than that yet some claim to be experts on celestial bodies, weather, climate etc.

Preposterous to claim one can predict with 100% certainty what has been occurring for billions of years. I wouldn't even give them 50/50 odds.
    Even today's meteorologists and all their high tech equipment are only 40% accurate.

How many thousands of years did these self proclaimed experts state Pluto was a planet in our system?
    Now they claim Pluto is not one of us and they kicked him to the curb.
    How long before other planets get added or subtracted?

Just get on the radio and be active. There are always people around the world calling CQ looking for contacts.

You could have made 5-10 new ones instead of being here on your computer.

W0SRB, N4FZ, M1WML and 4 others like this.
  14. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

To add what mainstream science is virtually ignoring and is impacting all of us.. https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/s...geons-mysteriously-go-missing-way-north-east/

We leave out out weakening magnetic field as we close on the reversal. This will have a much greater effect on radio as we descend into it. Again if you want to know more go here and get informed. https://www.youtube.com/user/Suspicious0bservers

M1WML likes this.
  15. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

273eto.jpg

M1WML likes this.