ad: M2Ant-1

Radio Wavz New RW705 Portable Antenna Kit

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5JDX, Jun 19, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5JDX

W5JDX Ham Member QRZ Page

In this AmateurLogic Short, Emmett Hohensee, W0QH from Radio Wavz discusses the new RW705 Portable Antenna Kit. A unique multiband antenna designed for the Icom IC-705/AH-705.

M1WML, KG6CGE, KC9RVL and 3 others like this.
  2. GW6CZE

GW6CZE Ham Member QRZ Page

About £100 in the UK rather a tad overpriced for some wire .I presume the wire has kevlar inside like the military stuff, but still rather pricey.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    M1WML, US7IGN and SA3BOW like this.
  3. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

It's silly what some will buy.

N7KO, M1WML, WA5VGO and 3 others like this.
  4. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And, only $130.00...

Wait...

What?

M1WML, G4HBY and KM6ZZZ like this.
  5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

129 (!) US$ @ HRO.

When you spend $1,300 for the IC-705 transceiver, $360 for the IC-AH-705 antenna tuner, $175 for the IC-LC-172 backpack, and $135 for the PV705TC tactical carry cage, you just can't hook up any old wire as an antenna for that SOTA/POTA/NPOTA/IOTA/LHOTA/BOTA activation. "Any old wire" would simply be uncouth.

KE4VYS, AB0R, M1WML and 20 others like this.
  6. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

IKR!
    My KX2 w/AT, wire antenna (that covers 40-10), Sony earbud/mic, and a capacitive touch key all fit in a Lowepro CS40 case that fits nicely in a daypack along with a backpacking chair, food, water, and other sundries. Even at full Elecraft prices (I bought mine used at well below full price), all that cost less than the 705 and the antenna (not even including the tuner or armor).

Granted, with the 705 you get VHF and DStar, but the antenna in question doesn't support that, so we're back to KX2 levels of functionality.

That said, I'm happy we have the option. When I got into radio 15 years ago, our only choices for portable QRP was the Icom 703 and Yaesu FT-817 (I think Elecraft was just getting to the market with their CW rig). Now we have choices from Yaesu, Icom, Elecraft, and a whole host of cottage industry options. Some cost more than others, but it gives us options we didn't have before. The market will deal with the less optimum choices.

Chris

M1WML likes this.
  7. WN1MB

Wes Hayward would strongly disagree.

M1WML, AE0Q and AD5HR like this.
  8. G6YIQ

G6YIQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Then you cannot afford another $130 for a length of wire.

AB0R, M1WML and KM6ZZZ like this.
  9. KI4POT

I was referring to commercially available radios, not homebrew rigs. But you knew that and chose to exercise your pedantry muscle instead. ;)

Besides, not everyone has the ability, free time, or patience to homebrew a radio from scratch. I know the closest I'm likely to get is building a kit like a Rockmite or QCX Mini.

Chris

M1WML likes this.
  10. W6KKO

W6KKO Ham Member QRZ Page

N U T S !

W2KS, M1WML and KM6ZZZ like this.
  11. WN1MB

You didn't specify commercially available radios. And I guess, as you again didn't specify, that kits don't qualify as "commercially available radios."

Pedantry muscle? pffft!

M1WML, 2E0TWD and AE0Q like this.
  12. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

M1WML likes this.
  13. KI4POT

I thought by specifically naming radios that were not user-assembled kits my point was clear. If we have to resort to articulating every possible permutation, we're going to be here a while. :)

Anyway, the original point being we're kind of in a golden age of portable QRP where a person can walk into their local HRO/DXE/Gigaparts (did I leave out any?) and have several options for portable radio. When I bought my 817 14 years ago, that was the only commonly available choice in a brick and mortar store (before you start, my local HRO doesn't sell enough components to homebrew anything beyond a wire antenna). Even the Icom 703, still in product at the time I think, wasn't on the shelf there. Now when I go, I can get an 818, 705, Xiegu G90, and theoretically a Lab599 Discovery (perpetually OOS at HRO). I can go to Elecraft and get a KX2 or KX3, or to LNR for a MountainTopper. There are others, but I think that covers the most commonly available choices.

So, while the subject of the OP is overpriced, it's nice to have options for people who may not want to fiddlefart around with stuff and just get on the air. That some people may overpay for something today doesn't impact my enjoyment of amateur radio and may present me with an opportunity to buy cool kit at discount prices when they sell their rig for the new hotness (which is how I got my KX2!).

Chris

M1WML and US7IGN like this.
  14. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Im not dragging all that crap on a 15 mile 4k foot elevation gain hike.

KX2 with internal battery and atu and a couple pieces of wire... done.

M1WML, US7IGN, K6MTS and 7 others like this.
  15. M7BLC

M7BLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Just bought a very nicely made 49:1 transformer for £30 new and add some wire and I am good to go. I guess each to their own when judging what is value but me I am a tightwad :). Just a shame that the eyesight and fingers are not up to winding toroid's !

M1WML and K4MID like this.