ad: elecraft

New QRP Rig? Looks like a winner!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Jun 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm happy to see some new blood doing well in the hobby, check out this new Gem. Should be available around July. The feature set looks promising.

KM6SIK, W4FJE, M1WML and 11 others like this.
  2. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve, you look a lot younger without the goatee. But with it, you looked like a sage.

Thanks for the video!

This is starting to remind me of the "pocket device" wars back in 1999; does the consumer want a phone with some simple computing capabilities (small screen, limited functionality)...or does the customer want a pocket PC that has the capability to make phone calls (too big for the pocket, but can do the computing).

That debate never ended...today we have flip phones, smart phones that are small with limited functionality, iPhones with different sizes, Android devices with a wide range of capabilities.

Back to ham radio; do we want a mini-shack-in-the-box like a 705, or are we looking for something ultra-portable like a KX2 (without FT8), or do we want the capability to add a keyboard and mouse? Do we want built-in wireless? Everything is a trade-off, nothing fits all requirements. I think I will stay with my IC-705, but I am not selling my MTR-3B or my Yaesu FT-817.

With my QRP rigs, it's the same as with antennas....you need options.

M1WML, MW1CFN, G3SEA and 4 others like this.
  3. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks! I just want all the radios!

KF7PCL, M1WML, WA8FOZ and 5 others like this.
  4. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Specs- Is the 7- 7.2 MHz a typo?

M1WML likes this.
  5. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Could be, however that is the allocation in the U.K.

M1WML, MW1CFN and SA1CKE like this.
  6. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the preview. Personally I miss the full range in the HF section. So the long wave and especially the VLF, isnt fully to reach. Here for example the time signal of DCF 77 (0,75 kHz) in Germany and Grimeton (0,17 kHz) in Sweden isnt to hear.
    At next the automatic tuner isnt always the best choice. Here in cause of the RF exposure, which is sometimes to be controlled manually. So that the best settings of the antenna are not really wanted. But the rest of this new QRP transceiver could be nice and the BNC connnector for low power is ok.

M1WML and KM9G like this.
  7. SP9TKW

SP9TKW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It looks like rather power hungry unit, RX=550mA and TX=3A, I use mcHF QRP which also is SDR transiver and current consumption is much lower, RX=290mA and TX=2A @ 10W . Another noticable difference is RAM 512Mb in Xiegu and 1024 in mcHF, being SDR I would expect it will have impact on features and speed of processing.

73 de Marek

KA0USE, M1WML, WM6P and 3 others like this.
  8. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For something that small, I think you really need VHF/UHF. Hand portable HF is pretty pointless, so a pocket size transceiver without at least 2m and 70cm is of little use - may as well have a bit more size and some increased power or battery life.

Martin (G8FXC)

M1WML, N0YPD, KT5OT and 1 other person like this.
  9. AD0AR

AD0AR Ham Member QRZ Page

Still not a single pic of a functioning screen.... Vaporware until I see a functioning product.

M1WML, KA9P, WD4E and 2 others like this.
  10. KK1LL

KK1LL Ham Member QRZ Page

705 Killer?
    Ha.
    Ha Ha
    Harbor Freight.

W4JPL, M1WML, WA1ZMS and 10 others like this.
  11. KI4POT

KI4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

o_O

My SOTA/POTA activations (and chases) with my KX2, as well as those by people using the LNR Mountain Toppers and other tiny HF transceivers beg to differ.

Chris

M1WML, SA3BOW, KB2SMS and 10 others like this.
  12. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the European spec model, I'm sure the US model will have alignment with US freqs.

M1WML likes this.
  13. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, I'm waiting for it to materialize.

M1WML likes this.
  14. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you suggesting that you operate HF with the radio in your hand, transmitting into a whip antenna that is attached directly to the radio? If so, then I take my hat off to you - when the 817 first came out, I had a go at it and the results were soul destroying.

Martin (G8FXC)

M1WML, K4YNZ and AB9TX like this.
  15. KI4POT

KI4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't realize that was what you were referring to (assumed you meant any kind of antenna), but if so, yes, I do that too. I've even used it like a big HT via the internal mic and speaker to make contacts from Virginia into France and California and Oregon (the latter two being nearly as distant from Virginia as France), as well as a number of less distant (for the US, those contacts would be into Europe for you) contacts. I use an MFJ-1820T whip for such activities.

I used the same whip with my 817, but had little success with it attached directly on my radio. It worked fine mounted on a tripod though (that is in my QRZ profile pic). To be fair, I didn't spend much time trying to make it work directly on my 817 before getting the KX2.

Chris

M1WML, WD4IGX and US7IGN like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.