ad: AbAuRe-1

Icom IC-7300 WSJT/FT8 Setup (Easy and Simple)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Jun 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. TA2EE

TA2EE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for video.

M1WML and VK7HH like this.
  2. M0TNX

M0TNX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

CW and (very little) SSB though, I'm not fond of FT8.

M1WML likes this.
  3. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wish I knew why FT-8 is so popular. I guess the only way to find out is to try it . . . It just seems rather ridiculous to look at a list of one liner connections to various entities in DX land. Even a short voice exchange with a DX station is interesting, as you make a connection that might later develop into a nice friendship. But having your radio/computer making the connection and saying 73? Where's the joy in that? I connected last night with two stations in Russia and one in Belarus, and spoke about classical music and interests we had in common. Amateur radio can be the "glue" that brings us together as humans - but probably not with FT-8.

KK4NA, M1WML and SV2HZF like this.
  4. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

But you are fond of that 7300 :cool:
    G3SEA/KH6

M1WML and M0TNX like this.
  5. M7GRB

M7GRB Ham Member QRZ Page

The instructions for setting the RX level in Windows 10 is very poor. To set it exactly so you don't get clipping on strong signals while making use of the full resolution :-
    1) Go to sound settings.
    2) Select 'speakers (usb audio codec)' as the output.
    3) Click on 'device properties'.
    4) Click on 'additional device properties'.
    5) Select the levels tab.
    6) Right click on the level meter and choose 'decibels'.
    7) Set to 0.0dB
    8) Click OK and go back and reset your default output device to what it was originally.

M1WML likes this.
  6. N6DSC

N6DSC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I am using ICOM 7300 with iMac Big Sur operating system and it is working fine for me with the preset selection on the update firmware for the ICOM 7300

M1WML likes this.
  7. VU2RMT

VU2RMT Ham Member QRZ Page

so nice
    -VU2RMT

M1WML likes this.
  8. M0TNX

M0TNX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Only until the funds allow a 7610 0r its successor! How's the bedspring antenna?

M1WML likes this.
  9. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL :cool: It's gone :cool:
    G3SEA/KH6

M1WML likes this.
  10. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Way over my head!!! But fortunately we've got younger friends who who can "ELMER" we OLDER GUYS!!! :)

M1WML and N6SPP like this.
  11. VO1OM

VO1OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine stopped working after a Windows update, USB Audio Codec is missing from the dropdown menu on the audio setup page. How can I get it back as a selection?

M1WML likes this.
  12. KE0QQQ

KE0QQQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Rod, you may need to buy a newer cable or use Window 7. Same thing happened to me. Mr. Gates does not like older USB cables with his Win10 OS. Something about counterfeit chip sets within the cable

M1WML likes this.
  13. VO1OM

VO1OM Ham Member QRZ Page

I fixed it. Go to Control Panel, Device Manager, and scroll down to USB Devices, the USB Audio Codec is there. Delete it, and the drivers. Disconnect the USB cable from the radio. Reload the ICOM USB Audio driver, Plug the USB cable back in, then you should see the USB Audio Codec appear in the sound and audio devices where it belongs. Then in the FT8 software you can select the USB Audio Codec in audio dropdown box. Voila. Problem solved.

M1WML and KE0QQQ like this.
  14. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you explain that? The USB standard has no IC chips in the cable. USB-C cables might have an E-Marker chip.

I do not see how this is a Bill Gates or Win10 issue. When I need to run something on Win 10 I have not had any problems whether it is an older USB cable or USB C

BTW: I run Manjaro, Ubuntu, and Kali Linux on all my machines and only boot into Windows if needed for certain programs. I am not a Bill Gates fan at all, but I would like some support on your statement.

M1WML likes this.
  15. KE0QQQ

KE0QQQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Joseph,

I will try to explain. Thank you for the chance and understanding of my attempt at humor poking fun at Microsoft. I don't know what those other words are other than the word Linux

I have a 450D Yaesu radio. There is a serial port to accept Com commands to change bands and key the mike to transmit doing FT-8.
    My computer has no serial ports just a USB port to send the signals outward

I use an older cable like this to make the connection. There are many different ones out there. This is just to show an example of what I have> Tripp Lite USB to Serial Adapter Cable USB-A to DB9 RS-232 M/M 5ft 5' - U209-000-R - USB Cables & Adapters - CDW.com

When you look at the serial port end, it's sorta fat. There is something inside of it, assumingly of course.

When I plug the USB side of the cable into the PC , Device Manager wakes up and says there is a Prolific USB to Serial Comm port that shows up under Ports(Com & LPT)
    That can't come from just the wires , there is something in the Serial side of the cable making it fatter than a normal connector that I have to assume is the convertor of sorts, A chip maybe?

One day I took some updates on my Win10 machine and Device Manager said the chipset was outdated and the device manager had an error that looked just like this >> USB Device Error PL2303HXA – VK3TBS (home.blog) There is a picture of the error in the URL showing the error in all caps. The assumption is my older cable is clone since it came off of E-bay. Bill did not like that ;)

I spent X amount of time troubleshooting before I substituted a trusty and unused Win7 machine it is place and Plug and Play accepted the cable giving purpose to an old machine that is not connected to the Internet and just does FT-8 and RTTY stuff.

I did not want to introduce unknown files into my good Win10 machine and be play battling PnP either.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    M1WML likes this.