ad: elecraft

Amateur Radio Newsline headlines for Ham Nation. June 9, 2021.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Jun 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur Radio Newsline headlines for Ham Nation. June 9, 2021.

JF1IRQ, KE5OA, AA5BK and 1 other person like this.
  2. F16832

F16832 QRZ Member

3. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

What really does bug me, is that these astronaut amateurs usually drop their callsigns after the end of their astronaut careers. Another female I QSO'd with did just that. Of course these NASA elite types look upon 'ham' (amateur, please hi), must look upon the amateur as ... oh, here i go, ... as a piece of bacteria on NASA's 'stepping-stone to paradise'; - (ah, there's a song lyric in the making).

It continues to seem to be, to me, a publicity thing for garnering schools' interest in space-travel based on ST-legacy, and probably has absolute zero to do with promoting amateur-radio itself.

So, I'm taking things into my own. I oft-times have followed my instincts, an enigma.
    Eventually I will get my 4.5m dish and QRO amp up and I will re-enact 'Project-Diana'.
    I want it done on my terms, with my god's approval; not for the glorious agency & so-called 'elites'.

I may even call it 'Project Fred'. Dropping the Greeko-Roman God's handle.

So Who is Elon Musk?
    https://carter-heavy-industries.com/2021/06/06/who-is-elon-musk/

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    JF1IRQ, W4DRO, AA5BK and 1 other person like this.
  4. WD5ACR

WD5ACR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

NASA pays a lot of money to fly amateur radio on ISS. I'm sure they make it a requirement for astronauts to be licensed so that everyone on the crew can operate that particular station. I bet they all have to be checked out on the robotic arm and cleaning the space toilet too. Some of the first astronauts that kicked off the ham in space initiative were lifelong hams, but these later crews were licensed just to meet the requirement. I have no ill will towards them. Just the opposite, it's up to us as the community to make this a place they wish to remain.

N0TLD, KK4NA, JF1IRQ and 8 others like this.
  5. IW2ILQ

IW2ILQ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They are licensed for "sporting merits".
    Obviously no exams or something like that.
    They're scientists but probably they're unable to weld an SO-239.
    No ham spirit, only communication strategies.

HB9EPC likes this.
  6. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Any Scientific Project that involves the hobby in any way is to be welcomed :cool:
    G3SEA/KH6

N0TLD, K4FMH and AA5BK like this.
  7. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice scientific project around the half of the world. To see how the solar eclipse changes or influences the HF propagation.

8. AA5BK

AA5BK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

WOW... you completely forgot to mention my Jewish Space Laser.... Musk is an innovator, and from a certain perspective "hams" are still doing what they where doing 50 years ago, albeit retired and with more cash to spend.

JF1IRQ and KE5OA like this.
  9. KN4AUU

KN4AUU Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow it seems like IW2ILQ and GM4BRB are the "ELITES" who could not possibly want someone on the ISS who was not a member of the "Life Long HAM" elite group.
    That's so sad, I know when my son's middle school got a chance to talk to the astronauts on the ISS it was a HUGE deal for them.
    The kids did not know or care if the astronaut they were talking to was a life long ham or just a freshly licensed one.
    SAD state of affairs :-(

N0TLD, KK4NA and KZ4TN like this.
  10. IW2ILQ

IW2ILQ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"If you haven't nothing to tell is better if you shut up", grandma sayd: what a stupid comment you wrote.
    I have nothing against radio ham activities on ISS: educational proposals are always welcome.
    But how many students are interested in how to talk with the ISS compared to the simply fact to talk with astronauts?
    A zoom or google meet or skype connection for the students would be the same, probably. Or better perhaps because they'd can see their speaker.
    But at the end my comment was only about the fact of the "administrative matters" about the OM licence, not about the goodness of the radio ham operations from ISS.
    Enjoy!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    JF1IRQ and W7ASA like this.
  11. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

In my opinion, its equal if you talk to an astronaut at the ISS or reach the ISS crossband repeater. For me its the same. The goal is to communicate with the own equipment and without professional bridges, with an astronaut or to reach the repeater at the ISS, in a short timeframe. All in all its only 400 Km away.

W7ASA likes this.
  12. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I sure hope one of those kids slipped in something about how no-code licenses and FT8 are ruining ham radio! ;)

13. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Ft8 and no code has ruined ham radio.

IK2ODD, DO1FER and W7ASA like this.
  14. F16832

F16832 QRZ Member

bj je suis de france de clermont ferrand mon Email est f16832.michel@gmail.com pour voir ma page il faut aller sur le site de QRZCQ tu tape F16832 et tu verras ma page 73.51.88

15. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

AM, SSB, and other voice modes also ruined ham radio! And the elimination of spark gap transmitters didn't help!

K4KFW and N7XCZ like this.