ad: elecraft

Icom IC-7300 WSJT/FT8 Setup (Easy and Simple)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Jun 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Got a Icom IC-7300 you want to use on digital? I will show you exactly how to setup your Icom IC-7300 for use with WSJT-X and other digital modes such as FT8.
    These are my settings on my radio that work perfectly for WSJT-X.

G4IOA, KE8KES, WP4QWH and 24 others like this.
  2. W8IJC

W8IJC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video, I really need an IC-7300.

73 de W8IJC

M1WML and VK7HH like this.
  3. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

No dog in the fight but doesn't the new 1.4 firmware have a preset for FT8?

WD4ELG, M1WML, K0WJ and 4 others like this.
  4. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Wish I saw this video 3 years ago. It took me 2 days to work it all out back then but finally got it. LOL

Just a hint once you all get it running properly..I took screen shots of all my Win 10 settings and Screen Captures of the IC 7300; saved them AND printed them out.
    I don't want to go thru the hair pulling again.

KE8KES, M1WML, NU4R and 2 others like this.
  5. WA2SEA

WA2SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes the ic7300 1.4 firmware is current and does have the preset for ft8. Works just fine.

M1WML, W6FVO, K0UO and 2 others like this.
  6. VK7HH

Yes it does, I haven’t updated my firmware yet to the newest, and this applies to everyone running old firmware too.

M1WML likes this.
  7. VK7HH

very good tip about taking screenshots/backup

M1WML and VK3PCJ like this.
  8. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Also if you're not using the current firmware just save your configuration on the 7300 to the SD Card (that's in the manual) and then save the %LOCALAPPDATA%\WSJT-X\WSJT-X.ini file on your computer to save the settings of WSJT x. Less time consuming.

M1WML and 2E0TWD like this.
  9. DO9KW

DO9KW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video but you just forgot to mention some of the most important settings of the IC-7300 for properly operating digital modes.
    1. The filter settings of the IC-7300:
    Normally you have to set the radio to the broadest RX filter to receive as much as possible because everything else is controlled by the digimode programme.
    On the IC-7300 it is FIL1 with 3.60k BW and Sharp Filter.
    you can change the values by long pressing the FIL symbol on the "home screen" and then adjust the values.

Also the transmit BW should be set to the broadest bandwith possible.
    You can do this by clicking menu - set - Tone Control/TBW - TX
    Here you can choose SSB-D and set the TBW from 100-2900

Then it is very important that P.AMP, IP+, NB, NR, Notch Filter and the AGC gets deactivated because as mentioned before: It is all handled by the programme on your computer.
    You can disable the AGC by going to Function - hold AGC - click on FAST and turn the big dial knob to the left until it is OFF.

In addition when transmitting your AGC should not come up, you can control that by setting the meter menu when operating in digimodes (menu - Meter).
    The ALC (bar on the top) should not come up but that is described at the end of the video.

And another small "pro tip" that your microphone will not get deactivated after some time:
    Open the Audio Settings under windows and when you open the microphone (USB Audio Codec) on the second tab there is a setting like "disable while on battery" or "disable when not in use"
    - please change that setting to "use also in battery mode" or something like that.

This are also very important steps for much better performance

regards
    Stefan - DO9KW

WD4ELG, K7GRL, KE8KES and 6 others like this.
  10. BD4QDP

BD4QDP Ham Member QRZ Page

没看到视频啊

M1WML and W1SRR like this.
  11. W8RES

W8RES Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

TIP....How to make band and mode changes an easy process with all of your settings preset for you...

After you get your digital settings all set the way you want it then save these settings to the SD card and give the file you save a unique name with "Digital" in it.
    Then go back and set the 7300 to the specific settings you need for phone use and save your settings to the SD card with a unique name with "SSB" in it.
    Then go back and set the 7300 to the specific settings you need for CW use and save your settings to the SD card with a unique name with "CW" in it.
    The when you want to change from one mode to another you just need to load the appropriate file titled Digital, SSB, or CW from the SD card and you are ready to go.

Specific settings mentioned above includes filters, noise reduction, power out, frequency, waterfall settings, connectors and levels etc.
    Each of these files now contain all of your settings on the 7300.
    Since that includes the frequency and band setting when the file was saved then when I load the SSB file
    my 7300 is tuned to a favorite net frequency or for CW my favorite CW location on a specific band.

If later you find you are always tweaking one of these settings to a new preference then just simply re-save the file and that setting will be pre-tweaked for you each time you load it.

Hope you find this useful.
    Bob - W8RES

KC2YTD, M1WML, N2AMM and 3 others like this.
  12. KC2YTD

KC2YTD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What?

M1WML and KA2FIR like this.
  13. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here you go:
    [​IMG]

KC2YTD, M1WML and KB1GKN like this.
  14. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

True, but it won't save the settings of your computer (op system), which BTW is where most people struggle with proper settings. Sure, you can copy the ini file; and when the computer crashes?...If I believed in paper less only, I would be a fool.
    Ask your bank if they trust all financial info to computers only? LOL

ALC as just one example is not controlled by the rig in digital modes but rather the sound level settings in ones computer.
    RCV levels are another animal all together for proper decodes.

M1WML likes this.
  15. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

You're exactly right which is why I say to save your 7300 configuration and then the .ini file on your computer which is the computer settings. The manual which too many people over look show you several files you want to back up along with your 7300 configuration. If your computer crashes pretty simply to reinstall your software and then copy those saved files to their location and you're back instantly. OH and don't keep the ini files and such backed up on your computer.

M1WML, DO9KW, KB1GKN and 1 other person like this.