ad: M2Ant-1

New Parks on the Air Program Updates

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5ATA, May 31, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know. We could turn this into something very useful. Was talking on the local vhf net about this and it was suggested to do something that has other useful purposes like exposure of issues. After a bit most of us agreed that something like Superfund sites on the air would have some real impact. Many of them out there that get no attention and are way down on the list. We could invite media to them to call attention to them. Maybe do ground conductivity testing or something. That way we could bring attention to issues while promoting the hobby to new audiences. After a while we had quite a list of them so it would be near most everyone. Soon enough all the parks will be visited so it would expand the places we visit.

M1WML likes this.
  2. KE5ES

KE5ES Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just completed the POTA for Fort McKavett, Texas. 19 contacts. 15 SSB on 20 meters using 10 watts and 4 CW contacts using 5 watts. Corner to corner of North America using a MFJ 20meter whip magnet mounted to the top of my truck. .-. .-. . .

M1WML, K5TER, WN1MB and 3 others like this.
  3. K5ATA

K5ATA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice! Congrats on the successful activation!

M1WML and KE5ES like this.
  4. M0TTQ

M0TTQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great presentation, as was Don's one with Matt Heere earlier in the weekend. The website and app are coming along well too. Once we have self-service upload things will be just about perfect (and the people who currently work so hard behind the scenes to do the uploading now can maybe get some more radio time themselves). I am just about to make a DXCC application based entirely on contacts made from my local park, and every time I activate there are clearly more people from more countries getting involved.

M1WML and K1CWB like this.
  5. K5ATA

I agree, Don's presentation with Matt was excellent as well. I am continually impressed with how POTA helps inspire and draw new people into the hobby! It is one of the things I use to inspire my Padawans at school when they are studying for their licenses.

M1WML and K4MID like this.
  6. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

Just put him on your "ignore" list. The more people reply to his garbage the more he will post. I do not see his stuff anymore. Like they say "do not feed the troll". Which he most certainly is. He is worse than a 15-year-old with a Facebook or Instagram account.

On topic: I actually like the change. I am mostly a hunter but I will do some activations this summer.

M1WML, K4MID, K5ATA and 1 other person like this.
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have nothing against folks that want to participate in POTA if that's what they enjoy. I go out 4-5 weeks each year camping mostly in Pa state parks. I most always set up and operate on different bands mainly CW and digital modes. I may jot down some basic information on a small notepad when I'm operating but do not maintain any sort of formal log. Record keeping is not one of my interest in the hobby and certainly not while vacationing. If you do work me and want a QSL card I answer all QSL/SWL cards and have done so for over 61 years. Have fun with your portable operations...I do.

M1WML likes this.
  8. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I have nothing against POTA, and have called a few who were about to go to sleep while endlessly calling "CQ POTA". When I lived in Nashville, TN, for cancer treatment, I was regularly asked to activate such and such park. When I'd politely mention how I knew nothing about it, the other station would quickly QRT. Now I see a station, here on the Zed, lambasting someone for possibly having eaten "salty cheerios", because somebody else apparently does not much care for POTA. Even recommending said person should just "buy a horse, and move to the mountains", to get away from society. Query: What's wrong with owning a horse? I've made my 50 + year career off the back of one. And I sure don't think the mountains are a dismal place, suitable for sending any of us presumed "lepers", who do not care for POTA.

Synopsis: To all the POTA folks out there, by all means go for it! If it brings you joy, and contentment, GREAT. But it would probably be a good idea to NOT go all squinty eyed, and pooch mouthed, toward those of us who prefer a different type of amateur radio experience. Guess what? There is plenty of room for us all, on one band or another.

M1WML and K3XR like this.
  9. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

WN1MB makes a comment that the crowd dosen't like, and he gets bullied... way to be all-inclusive everyone. For real.

He was politely (or sarcastically) referring to NPOTA, National Parks On The Air, which is the very reason POTA was spawned. You all may have forgotten the ARRL program that put POTA "on the map".

Forgive me, I don't know the op or his past history.

I am a SOTA guy, however, I activated a POTA park last summer and have to tell you that I really enjoyed the 90 minute pileup that ensued...

My biggest gripe was getting the POTA log just right. I had to transfer paper to Log4OM2 (stunning software work, BTW) and never got it right.

Hope the POTA folks made import more friendly...

...like the rest of us...

;)

73 de KA1YBS

M1WML and N1IPU like this.
  10. N9AMI

N9AMI Ham Member QRZ Page

I am activating all the Cat Houses in Nevada this summer.

M1WML, N1IPU, K4MID and 1 other person like this.
  11. K5ATA

And that is the point... there are enough options in this hobby that we all ought to be able to enjoy whatever parts we wish. POTA is a way for myself and my daughter to have radio time together, so it will always be one of my favorites.

M1WML, K4MID, K3XR and 2 others like this.
  12. K4MID

K4MID Ham Member QRZ Page

Syphilis On The Air lol

M1WML and N1IPU like this.
  13. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

That should make for an interesting certificate. :D

M1WML, N1IPU and K4MID like this.
  14. KE5ES

With a Vertical or Horizonally polarized antenna??? LOL!!

M1WML and K3XR like this.
  15. KE5ES

Oh please! I made an ADIF (file) and sent it in as I have since it all started. I got a reject notice stating that the file wasn't named correctly and he included the "FAQ" on how to name the file. Ok, thank you very much. Maybe I am just over reacting. At least he didn't ignore it until I queried about it like our HR at work does. I submitted that W4 last year and nothing changed and I had to pay. "Oh you were serious about that paperwork? Sorry. How much did you have to pay?" Anyway I followed a rabbit down a hole. My biggest complaint about POTA is when I think I have ten contacts and thank the park staff and leave only to realize when I am logging it I only got NINE. It won't let me log the Satellite contact with my wife since the Iridium Extreme transmits and receives at 1616 Mhz which is outside the Amateur Bands.

M1WML likes this.