ad: M2Ant-1

QCX Mini Build Part 3 - Fixing Mistakes, Passives, and some Tools

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, May 19, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes you make mistakes... its all part of the thing, nothing to worry about. In this case I soldered a hole before putting a part in... it happens.

KB2QQM, N7KOM and N1RBD like this.
  2. N1RBD

N1RBD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I accidentally lifted the 12v pad on the main board header connector to the LCD. Had to run a jumper wire from a transformer to the header to get the 12v where it needed to be.

Also note the "pre-blown" Q5 circled in red. The first batch had really crappy QC. Had to order a few (just in case) from Mauser to replace it. Just glad it was sort of off by itself rather than crammed up against other SMD components. Made it much easier to (de)solder.

upload_2021-5-19_23-31-7.png

JF1IRQ likes this.
  3. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Great stuff, Steve.

4. NG9T

NG9T Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve, what are you getting for output? 5watts? I have 40m mini and am having trouble getting more than 500mw. Adjusting toroids had no effect so I ordered an LCR meter to measure inductance and I think that I will rewind them and see if I can get required inductance as measured by meter, then reinstall them. Not much else that I can think to do.....

5. VE1WW

VE1WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Kill the "music"

KP4SX likes this.
  6. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think that is the best approach. Toroids being off any any reasonable amount won't knock down the power like that on the 40m model. 20, maybe.
    Seems to me you have a bigger problem. Solder joint? The T1 toroid miswired?
    Good luck!

7. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Please don’t

8. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great job, Steve!

9. VE1WW

VE1WW Ham Member QRZ Page

I love those kind of videos. Very personal, real life. Not to offend anyone but it really distracts from that personal identity we all share. The music destroys that identity.
    Thanks

Cliff

10. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for information.
    It was helpful.

73 JF1IRQ

11. N1RBD

N1RBD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had the same issue. I didn't notice my "pre-blown" Q5 until after the smoke test. I was getting 400mw. After replacing it, I got 4.2w. Do you have a 1st gen or 2nd gen board? If first I would take a lupe and check every component.

12. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Pro level skills and patience!

13. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have a laboratory grade meter, so I went from "no power" to "more power" My guess is that I'm around 5w. I'd double check the finals also and make that I didn't get that odd one mixed up or I'm missing a connection somewhere? I'm just taking a guess though. Let me know what happens!

N1RBD likes this.
  14. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear you, no pun intended. It seems like awkward silence without the music... its one of those things where its just "off" either way.

15. KB2QQM

KB2QQM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm building the 40m version. I have a REV 1 board. I just finished removing the old voltage regulator and swapping in a 78M05 regulator IC. Everything was going great until C30. Somebody mistakenly supplied a 30pf instead of the required 56pf capacitor. It should be here by next wednesday. Annoying, but that is all part of kit building. I'm just glad that I'm done winding T1 Toroid. LOL.