ad: portazero-1

QCX-Mini - How I'm winding those toroids

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, May 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Winding toroids is often "scary" for folks. Here I show how I do it. I'm no "pro toroid" winder, I do it by hand. Just like everybody else.

This is part 2 in the journey of building the QCX-Mini for 20m. This is a fantastic radio, with fantastic instructions. If I can do it, so can you!

N5SWE, US7IGN and W3AMT like this.
  2. W4US

W4US Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video. The winding process was oddly satisfying! Hope the project is coming along nicely. I like your background music because it reminds me of Tomorrow Land at Disney World.

3. SA3BOW

SA3BOW Ham Member QRZ Page

An alternative way to check the turn count on a small toroid is to take a photo.
    Look at it on a large monitor.... or print it.
    Then mark each turn on the paper with a pen.
    A blown up photo on a monitor is also great to check solderings.

N7KO, AJ6KZ, W3KW and 4 others like this.
  4. N8KRO

N8KRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video.You made it look easy tks

5. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been toying with the idea of building the larger QCX+---exact same circuit, I believe, but with a larger layout and enclosure. I'm investigating what kind of power output folks are getting and if they're really getting 5w out with around 13.8 volts I will probably pull the trigger.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

'Hose toroids' are ALWAYS tough to wind!

AJ6KZ and AK5B like this.
  7. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

It is easy! It just takes longer than you're planning ;-)

At least that's what I keep telling myself

8. AE0Q

AE0Q Ham Member QRZ Page

You might watch this video by Hans about tuning up the QCX+, 5w should be possible on 20m with 13.8v.
    I have to do all his tips to mine (20m), only 2w out as initially built.

Glenn AE0Q

KP4SX likes this.
  9. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just make sure all the water is out and if you warm the hose in the sun first it will be much easier. I also use the absolute biggest toroids I can find, I think they're like, uh, FT-2400s or thereabouts.:eek:

W1YW likes this.
  10. ON6GO

ON6GO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks to all for information ! ON6GO

11. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 20m QCX+ that does about 4.2w with around 12v. The 20m model is quite sensitive to minor variations in the coils. Its mandatory to do the 'alignment'. Hans has a video about that.
    My 40m version will readily exceed 6 watts but I keep it tuned back around 5w. Its tuning isn't at all critical.
    qcxpowe.jpg

AE0Q likes this.
  12. AE0Q

AE0Q Ham Member QRZ Page

"You might watch this video by Hans about tuning up the QCX+, 5w should be possible on 20m with 13.8v."

Oops, forgot to put in the link to the tuning video by Hans:

Glenn AE0Q

KP4SX likes this.
  13. W7EED

W7EED Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I find that winding the largest winding first and then installing T1 with just that winding. The smaller three windings are wound next. I detailed this method at https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/message/27864. For some the photos were dropped since I first posted this.
    --
    Jim W7EED

KM9G likes this.
  14. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great job, Steve. You have more patience than I, lol.

KM9G likes this.
  15. WB7QMR

WB7QMR Ham Member QRZ Page

Finished my QCXmini a few months ago - great rig! I'm getting 5.5watts out with 13.8v (I tweaked the coil windings the way Hans showed in his video...and that worked great!) --- I'm now going to build Han's 50watt amplifier next.... even though I've made some great QRP contacts it'll be nice to have that when needed. Have been building QRP rigs for 40 years and this is my favorite one! - alot of features!! -Dave