ad: Alphaant-1

How to Choose Your Summits on the Air Day Pack

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NJ7V, May 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. NJ7V

NJ7V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looking for the right Summits On The Air day pack? I go over the packs I've used as well as my most recent purchase. In this video I also activate Two Rock Mountain W7A/YV-011 in the Prescott National Forest with my buddy Brian W7JET. This hike had quite a challenging bushwhack to it.

KO4ESA, KB1HQS, KC5HWB and 3 others like this.
  2. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing wrong with monetizing or having affiliate links. Nothing wrong with not monetizing and avoiding affiliate links. Either is fine. Getting the content out there and more promotion of ham radio and products that are available is what's important. All of the YouTubers Bunch and those on YouTube who aren't in that "group" are doing great stuff, you included. Keep it up! :)

KC5HWB and NJ7V like this.
  3. N9AMI

N9AMI Ham Member QRZ Page

I would never use an affiliate link. You shouldn't get paid for ham radio and or a show about it. Also if you really want good backpacks do not buy one on amazon go to a proper outfitter store and you must get fitted for one. That's right kids you want things to not rub and hurt the next day get fitted for a pack.

G7DAZ, W5CJA, KK9W and 3 others like this.
  4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, admittedly it can be a rough crowd here. "If you can't run with the big dogs...stay on the porch".

There will always be those who like what you have to say and those who will criticize. Don't take it too personally. Never, never, never allow what you have to say to be determined by the response of others.

G3SEA, KC5HWB, K6RWM and 1 other person like this.
  5. WM1N

WM1N XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Who makes the paddle? Homebrew?

NJ7V likes this.
  6. NJ7V

KC5HWB likes this.
  7. NJ7V

Yes - Agreeing with you, I would argue the most important thing you can do is get your pack fitted at an outfitter store before your purchase. . . and not be pre-committed to any certain brand. The fit should rule all.

G0CIQ and K6RWM like this.
  8. KM4KGN

KM4KGN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As someone who has logged 18,461 miles backpacking/hiking in 12 states and 3 contents...I can say unequivocally that this is 100% correct. An off-the-shelf back may feel comfortable when it is empty, but once you get loaded, it's characteristics can change drastically.

W1YW and NJ7V like this.
  9. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Concur, the importance of that factor also increases exponentially as you move into heavier loads, more miles.
    ......and as you age....

W1YW and NJ7V like this.
  10. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with this statement, but every time I call FlexRadio or Elecraft and tell them they can't get paid for making a Ham Radio and they should send me one for free, I am hung-up on. *shrug* Some people.

I guess we should stop paying for QRZ and CQ magazines also.

K9EZ, K1CWB, W0AQ and 8 others like this.
  11. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Monetizing/Shilling/whatever was not what I was left thinking about after viewing. I thought it was a pretty good vid, looked like a fun trip with lots of cw q's, and a guy sharing his takes on his exp with packs he picked up and used over last 7 years, thanks for posting/sharing. Oh, and I subscribed.

NJ7V likes this.
  12. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Let's face it, around 90% of SOTA activators will be doing a day hike, if a "hike" at all for some peaks. Any old backpack with proper supplies for the hike is fine, yeah, load it correctly. Your radio gear is more of a priority on a day hike, it becomes half of the purpose. Safety is always #1.

For the other 10% on a multi-day trek, (I have done it quite it a few times, only twice with SOTA in mind) that radio equipment in your backpack is the least of your worries... and you already know how to pack for a multi-day trip anyway.

I posted one of the oldest "SOTA" videos out there, before I even knew about SOTA. Before Google owned YouTube maybe. There are a million of such videos now, and more every day. Reminds me of my logbook. Always another QSO.

Thanks for the video. Now get up there and DO IT! Hope to work S2S with you all.

73 de KA1YBS

Last edited: May 19, 2021
    NJ7V likes this.
  13. WB2JIX

WB2JIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, CQ mag anyway. :eek:

KC5HWB likes this.
  14. NJ7V

Thank you!

15. NJ7V

Appreciate it. I always enjoy the s2s contacts. It makes it sweeter when you know the guy on the other end. Looking forward to that contact some day!