ad: k1jek

14 Common Phone Mistakes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Mar 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KN4USA

KN4USA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Won't happen. Too many of "us" thinkk we are better then others and can do what we want. Or think we sound cool using some catchy word that goes along with where, who or what we are.

2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my license from the FCC not the ARRL. There's nothing wrong with using the phonetic alphabet you posted just as there is nothing wrong with using one you make up.

It's difficult to believe that anyone reading the different threads on the topic of phonetics has not read the applicable section of the FCC rules and regs which has been posted a number of times in these threads.
    "(2) By a phone emission in the English language. Use of a phonetic alphabet as an aid for correct station identification is encouraged;"

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/97.119

At the risk of being redundant "a phonetic alphabet" is not a specific phonetic alphabet. Where did you get your license?

WD4IGX and N4MXZ like this.
  3. N4MXZ

N4MXZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Beyond the proscriptions of Part 97, the Communications Act, and any applicable Federal, state or local law, we can indeed do what we want. :p
    I like sounding cool. :D

WD4IGX and K3XR like this.
  4. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

In my call, Hotel and Romeo really suck!
    Ham Radio, Home Run, Hot Rod, or Honolulu Radio ALWAYS works better!

WD4IGX, K3XR and N4MXZ like this.
  5. KN4USA

KN4USA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Post all of it. Come on... You can do it...

6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the purpose of the link. Go on ...you can click it!

N4MXZ likes this.
  7. N4MXZ

That seems rather rather patronizing, as did your "Post all of it. Come on... You can do it..."
    I guess when your argument is based on what you apparently feel, rather than any empirical fact, you have to resort to left handed personal attacks.

Just because the ARRL publishes a "suggestion" as to the use of phonetics, in no way does it make that obligatory. The ARRL does not make rules for Amateur Radio. Further, the ARRL does not even represent an appreciable number of US Amateurs.
    In 2018, there were 755,430 licensed Amateurs in the United States. According to their own annual report, ARRL membership totaled 156,899. That means that less 21% of licensees are members of the League.
    Therefore, trying to invoke the ARRL as authoritative support for your argument, including the possible inference that it represents the will of the majority, in this instance, is fallacy. ;)

WD4IGX and K3XR like this.
  8. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL is not a rule making body.

N4MXZ and K3XR like this.
  9. N4MXZ

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    It is always best to keep your preferred phonetics close at hand. :D

K3XR likes this.