ad: portazero-1

The Not So Simple Dipole

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Apr 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. M1MRB

M1MRB Ham Member QRZ Page

ICQPodcast Episode 349 -

In this episode, Martin (M1MRB) is joined by Chris Howard M0TCH, Dan Romanchik KB6NU and Edmund Spicer M0MNG to discuss the latest Amateur / Ham Radio news. Colin (M6BOY) rounds up the news in brief and in this episode we feature The not so simple Dipole

ICQ AMATEUR/HAM RADIO PODCAST DONORS

We would like to thank Kevin Strishock (N3KA) and our monthly and annual subscription donors for keeping the ICQPodcast advert free. To donate, please visit - http://www.icqpodcast.com/donate

News stories include: -
    • Updated Radio Frequency Exposure Rules Become Effective on 3rd May 2021
    • New 122GHz DX Record
    • Amateur Radio has a New Census
    • Radio Amateur Helps Rescuers to Locate Lost Hiker
    • YOTA Summer Camp Croatia Postponed to 2022
    • GB5UTA Active in June for U3A Event
    • 60 Metres in New Zealand
    The ICQPodcast can be downloaded from http://www.icqpodcast.com

upload_2021-4-25_20-22-4.png

2. IU3EGK

IU3EGK Ham Member QRZ Page

3. W7EED

W7EED Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Did I hear the speaker say that a folded dipole is one half of the length of a conventional λ/2 dipole? Oops ...
    --
    Jim W7EED

KA2FIR, CE3AV, W1YW and 2 others like this.
  4. KD5PUR

KD5PUR Ham Member QRZ Page

You did, the overall length is the same but since it folded it's shorter than it's full length.

5. W7EED

W7EED Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually a half wave folded dipole is the same length as a conventional dipole; λ/2. The impedance is higher but the length is the same. From the ARRL Handbook 2017:
    Folded Dipole.JPG
    --
    Jim W7EED

KA4DPO, KA2FIR, AE7LP and 4 others like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Jim is correct.

A folded dipole is 1 wavelength in perimeter (as he showed). It has a higher drive impedance and a wider bandwidth than a 1/2 wave dipole.

W1LJ likes this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

If you closely bend back a 1/2 wavelength-length dipole to 1/4 wave, you will get phase cancellation and a funky impedance. IOW the performance goes kaput.

8. KB9SIR

KB9SIR Ham Member QRZ Page

I inherited one of these of something similar and would like to know more about it. It is about 18" separation speed with pic spreaders. What con you tell me about it? It tunes on about every HF band. I'm old but young in ham experience.
    KB9SIR. John

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That 'skinny loop' in the picture is a folded dipole, and has 1 wavelength perimeter. Its used because it has a moderate--not narrow--bandwidth.

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe this will help. The red arrows are the currents, which are in phase. The currents go to zero and then reverse phase , every 1/2 wave. That's why the arrows are in the same direction on top and bottom.

[​IMG]

KA4DPO, NF6E and NU4R like this.
  11. G0WXU

G0WXU Ham Member QRZ Page

Why Is fig.21.22 shown with the feedline has open wire feed line. Shurely it would be better to show 300 Ohm or open wire feed line.?

12. W0AZ

W0AZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Given that, “It tunes on about every HF band,” I’m wondering if it’s one of these:

upload_2021-5-4_20-9-59.png

If it is ...

The antenna was designed more for frequency agility (extremely broad banded) than efficiency. Some swear by them, others swear at them (wait for comments likely to follow).

The commercial version (sold by B&W) is quite expensive. But if you already have one and can support it with trees or masts, it would allow you to operate on bands your other antennas don’t cover.

13. VE9JPG

VE9JPG Ham Member QRZ Page

i have built and run one and so far its seems to suit my needs as a newbie,

14. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an Icom branded one that was given to me. It works pretty well but performance on 80 and 160 it's basically a cloud warmer. Some of that has to do with height but I can't do anything about it. From 160-10M the SWR never goes above 1.5:1. If a frequency and band agile dipole is what you want or need, then this would certainly be for you.

Last edited: May 13, 2021