ad: elecraft

“Woodpecker” Facility Now a Protected Heritage Site

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5XS, Apr 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K5XS

K5XS Ham Member QRZ Page

N3RYB, NU4G, WD4ELG and 3 others like this.
  2. WI4MM

WI4MM Ham Member QRZ Page

Tourist allowed ?

3. AA5BK

AA5BK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

interesting, thanks for posting

4. KE0CAA

KE0CAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Its in the Chernobyl exclusion zone so its not like visiting mount rushmore but yes it is possible to be a tourist there with the right connections.

PY2NEA and NU4G like this.
  5. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Luckily it's long been shut down, and from the videos I've seen of it it's in no shape to ever transmit QRM again.

PY2NEA and K0UO like this.
  6. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

PY2NEA, WD0BCT and WI4MM like this.
  7. KD5OM

KD5OM Premium Subscriber

I would like to visit just to pee on it.

N3RYB, W2TB, N2UHC and 5 others like this.
  8. NN5AA

NN5AA Ham Member QRZ Page

The BANE of SWLs and Amateur Radio Operators everywhere !!

The_Russian_Woodepecker.jpg

And yet, with the proliferation of all the new sources of QRN in our modern society, maybe not so bad after all ?

73, Vince - NN5AA

PY2NEA and WI4MM like this.
  9. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, with "Pride of China" electronics proliferating everywhere, you'd likely be lucky to hear the woodpecker if it were still operating today.

PY2NEA, KR4EE, K0UO and 1 other person like this.
  10. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Making an irradiated exclusion zone a "heritage site" seems a convenient rebranding to me.

PY2NEA, N3RYB and K0UO like this.
  11. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I totally understand that!

12. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't plan on spending anytime in that Radiation Exclusion Zone!!

The conspiracy people say that the RF from the Woodpecker blew up the controls on the Chernobyl nuclear plant!!
    The woodpecker was off the air but still used some at that time.

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm"

PY2NEA likes this.
  13. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I wonder if they will put up a plaque by call sign for all the zillions of us hams who had ruined QSOs from the horrid QRM that beast spewed for years?

If anyone from their committee is reading this, please put my calls on a plaque: WN7AWK and WB7AWK ;)

Dave
    W7UUU

PY2NEA, N2UHC and K0UO like this.
  14. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Yes, certainly a tiny 2 ounce wall wart I can hold in my hand can wipe out bands with 20 over S9 noise in my own shack - just like a grow operation a half mile away for some hams and SWL folks. And collectively, they do ad up - I have personal experience fighting such noise.

But to think that the Woodpecker could wipe out entire NATION'S ability to listen - on demand and in perfect lock-sync - IMO is a whole different order of magnitude.

Not to mention the Woodpecker happened in an era when man-made impulse noise at that magnitude was not only unheard of, it was downright impossible to have created in a home - certainly not remotely approaching the power and effects of the Woodpecker. Hence the Duga machine that was imagined and constructed to do just that.

Dave
    W7UUU

KR4EE likes this.
  15. G0HBS

G0HBS Ham Member QRZ Page

The Woodpecker was the bane of many Radio Operators, I worked on a RAF/USAF base in England in the 1970's running the American AN/FPS-95 OTH radar system pointing the opposite direction . I often wondered how many amateurs and SWL's we creamed. with the vertical sounder we used we could see our output lift the ionosphere. Our o/p was in MWs
    Happy days.

Roger G0HBS

PY2NEA likes this.