ad: cq2k-1

14 Common Phone Mistakes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Mar 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never heard "personal" for name. I was out of ham radio since the 90s and didn't get back in until the last few years, mostly on CW.

If I ever do my head may explode.

K8EEI likes this.
  2. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, thanks for telling everyone else what you think they "should" do.

But I'm going to keep doing what I please.

K3XR likes this.
  3. K8EEI

K8EEI Ham Member QRZ Page

The worst part is they teach new guys this . And somebody taught them this . I have heard this since the late 90s .

73 IBTL de Tony

4. N4MXZ

N4MXZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That came directly from the Citizens Band. "the first personal here is...."
    To be fair, it is no different than the "the handle here is..." used in Amateur Radio since the dawn of phone.
    I will usually respond to the query "what is your personal?" with "I am not playing basketball so I have no personals" , and to the query "what is your handle?" with "I am not a teapot, I have no handle" :rolleyes:

WD4IGX likes this.
  5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

It is very different from "the handle here is" "The first personal here is" has no connection at all to ham radio.

It does seem to me in recent years that those familiar with the customs and traditions of the hobby are simply saying "the name is".

KA2FIR likes this.
  6. N4MXZ

Well, initially, "the handle here" had no connection to Ham Radio until it did. "The first personal here" has, as pointed out above, been been used in Ham Radio for around 25 years now. It would seem then that it indeed is part of, and thus has a "connection" to, Ham Radio now. ;)

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe in your part of the country. It's rare to hear it here and it's mostly from new ham radio operators. "The first personal here" has absolutely nothing to do with the ham radio that I have been active in for over 61 years. I prefer to help out the new operators with the customs and traditions of the hobby and advise them of that fact when the opportunity arises.

WD4IGX and KA2FIR like this.
  8. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

There are times where I sign, November Lima 7 What?

It's legal... and I like it if I'm that kind of a mood.

To each his own!

N4MXZ and K3XR like this.
  9. KI7PMQ

KI7PMQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You could easily do several shows on phonetics! But I like and use what works best. Esp. When working DX. My call letters are KI7PMQ and saying Quebec is a weak sounding phonetic or many hams just don't hear it correctly in QRM & QRN. As soon as I repeat QUEEN 3 x the dx station then gets it. So using what works helps too. :)

N4MXZ likes this.
  10. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in 1961 or so, the Ames Brothers must have had your call sign in mind, Dave.
    Can't get the link to stick, so just to mention the song: "You, you, you".

11. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

The most senior member of my local club often reminds me of that song... he's 104 and that song came along at a time that was a high point in his life :)

I've heard that reference many times :)

Dave
    W7UUU

12. AA5BK

AA5BK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Agree 100% on the phonetics. Standards keep everyone on the same page. Here is a good read... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_phonetic_alphabet . Thanks for posing. I am guilty of a few, but no confessions. lol

13. VE2MMH

VE2MMH Guest

im not telling you what you should do im saying WE all of us amateur radio operators can come to a gentleman's agreement type standard to make communication pleasant, but you keep on doing your own thing.

14. N4MXZ

Why?
    If DXers find (and they do and have for decades) that the ITU phonetics are less efficient, how does forcing them to change make things more pleasant for them or anyone else? If someone wants to describe their first name as a "personal" how does that make things less pleasant for you or anyone else? If someone adds "for ID" to their callsign announcement, how does that make things less pleasant for everyone else?
    Some of you certainly take yourselves and this hobby way too seriously, IMHO :rolleyes:

KI4POT likes this.
  15. KN4USA

KN4USA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Where did you get your License? The ARRL website even publishes it right HERE.