ad: Radclub22-1

Highest SOTA in Oregon - Mt Hood Activation

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N7KOM, Apr 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N7KOM

N7KOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks! A sub on Youtube really helps a lot with the algorithm. 73!

2. N7KOM

Next time! I'm planning on doing Adams this summer.

3. K7LJ

K7LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I climbed California's Mt. Shasta (14, 179 feet) some years ago. I worked 2-Meter FM from the summit (pre-SOTA days, so it doesn't count.) My voice was lowered proabably about an octave, from climbing and breathing so deep, so hard, for so long, in that thin air, that it didn't sound like me on the radio. I had to tell people that it "really was me!"

N7KOM likes this.
  4. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Worthwhile video, thanks for posting. Sure beats the ones in a camper by the wayside.

N7KOM likes this.
  5. WA7KJ

WA7KJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Great job...I was surprised to hear your call from Mt Hood...thanks for the chaser contact!

N7KOM likes this.
  6. W4ATO

W4ATO Ham Member QRZ Page

Looked like a lot of fun and getting a workout to boot. Thanks for the great video
    W4ATO

N7KOM likes this.
  7. N7KOM

Thanks for chasing! Great to QSO with you. 73 N7KOM

8. CE8EYS

CE8EYS Ham Member QRZ Page

Great job man, I do lots of climbing here in Patagonia, Chile, I´m Bob CE-8-EYS. Wanted to ask you what´s the antenna you were using with the great FT 60 ? Cheers and regards from Chile. best 73´s.

9. N7KOM

Hey CE8EYS,
    Thanks and the antenna I'm using is the MFJ Longranger. It's a great antenna IMO. I've made a ~200mi VHF summit to summit contact at 5W with it before. 73 Tim N7KOM

10. WA5KM

WA5KM Ham Member QRZ Page

Shouldn't that be VOTA ??

N7KOM likes this.
  11. W7TY

W7TY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats on your SOTA Summit from Mt Hood. I did a similar trek to the summit of Mt Hood back in June of 1973.
    Back packed 2m equip included a lead acid motorcycle battery, Regency HR2-A 2m FM xcvr, and the first 4-elements w/coax
    of a CushCraft 11-el yagi strapped to an ice axe. Amazing 146.52 simplex pipeline signals into Seattle areas. Callsign was WA7ECY.. Perhaps one of the first activations, 48 years ago.

W0PV and N7KOM like this.
  12. N7KOM

Now that sounds like an activation! How many watts were you running with that battery?
    I thought about bringing my yagi, but high winds were forecast and I wasn't sure how long I would be on the summit. 1/2 whip was the tool of the day. The winds never materialized though.

13. W7TY

W7TY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

..probably about 6-8 watts to the antenna...I have a B&W photo that I'll post if I can locate. We stayed on the summit for about an hour. weather was clear and minimal winds.. Also signed the summit ledger in the metal box....

N7KOM likes this.