ad: Halibut-1

GMT offset is wrong

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by KF0FGD, Apr 20, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KF0FGD

KF0FGD Ham Member QRZ Page

On the detail tab of my page, it says that my GMT Offset is -6 hours. I'm in the central time zone in the US & I thought that was -5 hours. I can't figure out where to change this. Thanks!

Ryan, KF0FGD

2. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Currently -6 hours unless you are in an area that doesn't recognize Daylight Savings Time.

3. KF0FGD

I'm confused. If I google current UTC time and current GMT time, both show a time that is 5 hours ahead of my current time. So I guess I'm wondering if there is a DST checkbox somewhere in the options on here that needs to be checked/unchecked to reflect that?

4. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

First, UTC is the new flavor of GMT and means the same thing. Pull up the map below and note that you are six time zones away from the UTC reference time zone. Your location will always be six time zones away. Your state government has decided to implement DST and that changes your clocks by one hour twice a year. UTC does not change for DST. Got it?
    https://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/

5. K8VHL

You asked a question and we tried to answer it. Do you understand the answers or does the subject need additional clarification?

6. KF0FGD

Yes, I believe so.

7. K8VHL

Which, you understand or need more explanation? ;)

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It is +6 or -6, Depending if you are here or there. o_O

9. K8VHL

Wouldn't it be -6 if he is there where he is, or it would be -5 if he were here where I am, or also -6 if he were there were you are? It could be +6 if he were there in Norilsk, Russia, but he's probably not.

10. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

It's five o-clock somewhere!