ad: TinyPaddle-1

Clear Frequencies Requested Following St. Vincent Volcanic Eruption

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5ARM, Apr 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5ARM

W5ARM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

Clear Frequencies Requested for Net Providing 24/7 Coverage of St Vincent Volcanic Eruption

Posted date: April 20, 2021
    The Caribbean Emergency and Weather Net (CEWN) has been providing round-the-clock coverage during the La Soufriere volcanic eruption on the island of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. Several neighboring islands are also being affected by the disaster. When responding to disasters and emergencies such as this, the CEWN utilizes 3.185 MHz LSB and 7.188 MHz LSB. CEWN is requesting that radio amateurs not involved in the volcano response to keep these frequencies clear. — Thanks to Ira Harris, VP2EIH

SOURCE: ARRL

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    KF8CE, W2NPR, W6SAE and 6 others like this.
  2. K4RGN

K4RGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That should be 3.815 MHz LSB!

W1NJC, W2NPR, PE1KWE and 6 others like this.
  3. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

CQ Contest......

M0MNE, N0AMY, KR3DX and 3 others like this.
  4. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Let us know and post a sound file of any actual H&W traffic from inside the affected area.
    Otherwise, it will again be a lot of "no traffic" call ups waiting for messages that never show up.

NT4G, K0IDT and (deleted member) like this.
  5. N1IPU

That's how it works. You could wait for days and never hear a thing but the one time your needed it sucks to hear some pud calling CQ over an over. Ask anyone who does the maritime net how it goes. I was party to an emergency with an offshore boat and during the event some idiot was going to get his contest points and basically told the operators to pack sand. Hated contesters ever since. It's our duty to keep frequencies clear during any emergency even if the frequency is not needed during it.

K7IWW, N5PNZ, NT4G and 13 others like this.
  6. VE3VXO

VE3VXO Guest

Won't happen as the seismic activity will take out the propagation. Just ask VE7DXW if you don't believe me. In fact the entire ham fisted radio community might as well forget about emergency relief comms for any earthquake or volcano type disaster as there will be no propagation anyways.

K0IDT, AB0R, PE1KWE and 5 others like this.
  7. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I believe there's a SW broadcast station on 3185.

8. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Once again there is no indication that cell service, government, or commercial communications systems have been disrupted...another, potential, "make work" exercise for ham radio? Just asking

KG4KZG, NT4G, W5AMG and 6 others like this.
  9. N1IPU

Another contester making excuses? Just asking.

KO6KL, K7IWW, W0FS and 4 others like this.
  10. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

USE 14.300 ! Only /MM on there as of late has been my XYL and I !

Any question why we're now being charged a fee for license renewal? Face it boys and girls. It's becoming painfully obvious why we're now being considered as nothing more than a collection of hobbyists.

As a once EC for Orange County ARES, I KNOW the state of volunteerism and the 21st century ham radio hobbyist's attitudes toward emergency preparedness

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    K7IWW, NT4G, KN4PHS and 3 others like this.
  11. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You're not asking. You're accusing OM.

With all the accolades you tout, we'd like to think you ESPECIALLY would understand and NOT have to be explained the bigger picture!

W6SAE and KR3DX like this.
  12. M7BLC

M7BLC Ham Member QRZ Page

With no one on voice much ( I mostly hear digital traffic) and propagation so poor it's no big deal to avoid a couple of frequencies - not that my 10 watts is going to cause a problem from the UK anyway :) . 73 and play nice.

2E0CIT, W6SAE, KR3DX and 2 others like this.
  13. N1IPU

We allowed the ARRL to turn this into a "Sport" for profit. Lost the big picture big time.

NT4G, W0FS, KK9W and 2 others like this.
  14. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Everyone, put on your Emergency Tinfoil Hats! The Ionosphere is falling!!!

W0FS, W6SAE and PY2NEA like this.
  15. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I haven't been receiving my ham radio checks recently. Are they being held up by the USPS?

W6KKO and W6SAE like this.