ad: elecraft

Portable HF gear in a small footprint

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5QBF, Apr 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AJ2I

AJ2I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice video and good to see more hams getting out of the shack. I love SOTA myself. Keep it up!

K5QBF likes this.
  2. N1KDO

N1KDO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. K5QBF

K5QBF Ham Member QRZ Page

4. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think all the SOTA people reading this are probably thinking the same thing. :D

But it was a great video!

5. K5QBF

I
    I’m working on a sota setup that fits in a backpack. I’m sure the sota folks also know we don’t usually have to hike to activate a park lol.

K4MID and AJ6KZ like this.
  6. KM1NDY

KM1NDY Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video! As a proud gearhead, I love love love hearing about other's gear choices. I am surprised by how many have responded that they use a mast for portable. Trees are plentiful in New England, so I just use them. I really liked your mast set-up demo.

My favorite *complete* (as in everything you need to get on the air) SOTA/POTA kit is about 15 pounds. Not the lightest set-up, but 100W SSB capable, and a hecka lot of fun. Easily fits in the back compartment of a classic 2-compartment Jansport day pack; "Big Campus Backpack" model is my favorite.

-Yaesu FT891A
    -LDG Z100Plus Autotuner
    -Radiowavz 20M EFHW antenna
    -50' RG8X (with pl259 connectors) coax
    -Bioenno 15AH Lifepo
    -Yaesu OEM power cable fitted with powerpoles
    -Y-ACC cable (for tuner)
    -1 foot RG8X coax jumper with PL259 connectors (for tuner)
    -Yaesu stock microphone
    -Two 50' lengths of 550 paracord
    -Electrical tape
    -Cabela's multitool (the $6 one)
    -"Packit" brand "Freezable Classic Lunch Box" (for everything but transceiver, antenna, paracord, and coax)
    -"Packit" brand "Freezable Bento Box Set" (the 891 fits like a glove into the sleeve of this)

Happy Patriot's Day!
    Mindy

K5QBF, AJ6KZ and KG5TON like this.
  7. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

I like your calm style. A refreshing change from the macho crap we are fed so often.

As for 50W, well, get near some water - fresh or sea will do. Then 5W will do the same thing or better (typically 10-20dB enhancement). Also, go for LiFePO4 batteries. Unbelievably light, last much longer than any lead acid types.

K4MID and AJ6KZ like this.
  8. K5QBF

Thanks for the feedback, trying to put my own spin on the youtube things lol. Someone at the lake this past weekend recommended the same thing and I may give that a shot on my next activation for POTA. The Miady battery I use is a LiFePO4, just sold through Amazon for $59. It's 16ah and weighs about a half a pound.

https://www.amazon.com/LiFePO4-Battery-Miady-Rechargeable-Maintenance-Free/dp/B07X7MD2JK

K4MID and MW1CFN like this.
  9. KO4NYR

KO4NYR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the videos, I enjoyed watching them, very informative for a new operator.

K5QBF likes this.
  10. KA9FON

KA9FON Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's my portable setup for Field Day operating in my garage. 20210413_123625.jpg 20210413_123313.jpg

F8WBD, K5QBF, KC3PBI and 2 others like this.
  11. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My SOTA setup is extremely light and simple:

Cell phone or paper/pen for logging
    KX2 Transceiver with built-in mic, battery, and ATU
    KX2 CW paddle
    AX-1 whip with bipod stand
    BNC to binding post adapter
    Random wire for 40-10 meters
    Three counterpoise wires
    Zippered soft carry pouch with a new, ziploc freezer bag, for emergency protection

I think the whole bag of goodies weighs about 2 pounds.

I can make a dipole, random wire or vertical antenna in the field at deployment time to suit my operating conditions.

Caveat is my fully charged internal battery allows for about 70 QSOs. By the time I arrive at my trail and hike up, I've spent a big part of my day already, I won't be piling it up much.

For a weekend car-camping trip, a 9AH LiFePo and 50w folding solar panel will do the trick.

I find that 5-10w is fine business, even on phone. Let the hilltop provide some extra gain.

73 de KA1YBS

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    K5QBF, KM1NDY and AJ6KZ like this.
  12. K1GC

K1GC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For the hose clamp on the mast (aka Jubilee clip - first time hearing them called that), what are you using as either padding under or over the clamp? Maybe you talked about it an I missed it, but it looks like you have something there to protect the line from the sharp edges. Would be interested to know what solution you found for that. Thanks!

13. K5QBF

I used plastic tubing.

Attached Files:

AJ6KZ likes this.
  14. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

K5QBF likes this.
  15. K1GC

K1GC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah, that makes good sense and nice and simple. Thanks.

K5QBF likes this.