ad: elecraft

CQ DX from Casey Station, Antarctica - An Interview with Paul VK0PD

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Apr 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Ever wondered what it's like to run portable from Antarctica? Paul VK0PD has been operating a amateur radio station from Casey Station since March 2021. In this video I catch up with Paul and discuss what it's like to operate in such harsh environments, the DX contacts he's enjoyed so far and what his interests are in ham radio.

VKFF-0571 is also a qualifying WWFF park at Casey Station which has become a rarity for those chasing and Paul using VK0PD is activating this where he can.

Follow Paul's activations and sked information:
    https://vk2pad.com/
    https://vk2pad.com/operating-schedule/

KI7PMQ, WB5RYK, K4COV and 14 others like this.
  2. VK3VJP

VK3VJP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great interview with Paul - Also had a nice QSO the other day too. Poor bloke is getting hammered every-time he comes on the air so be kind.

KC1FUU, AJ6KZ and VK7HH like this.
  3. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

An update:

Disappointing news from Paul VK0PD today. Please note that ALL of Paul's skeds are available on his website below:

https://vk2pad.com/

via Facebook from Paul VK0PD
    "Apparently piracy is alive and well..

Well I can't believe it is actually happening. I have heard stories about it but never believed them.

I operate currently from Casey Station Antarctica as VK0PD. In the last 2 days I have had emails thanking me for contacts on FT8 or SSB voice yesterday. I have never operated digital modes from here and I definitely wasn't on air yesterday due to a blizzard.

Is this something that actually happens a lot? If you have a QSO with me try to get it validated through either eqsl or QRZ logs. If not assume it's a fake.
    Paul VK0PD/VK2PAD"

G1HYD likes this.
  4. CX3CP

CX3CP Ham Member QRZ Page

In the beginning, the radio frequency activity started as experimentation, then it became an exciting hobby, and finally it became something competitive, it was at that moment, when this type of absurd mentioned things began to happen.

KF4ZKU, MM0HLT, CX3ABD and 2 others like this.
  5. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

"There's no other radio than SOTA."

Indeed. :)

VK7HH likes this.
  6. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure about "a lot" Paul, but I worked VK0PB in January, 1993 and the card was returned marked "pirate." Kept it as a souvenir of somebody with a pointlessly nasty sense of humor.

7. WI4MM

WI4MM Ham Member QRZ Page

In February of 2014 on 20m phone as KK4CGG, ( my 1st call), I was calling CQ on a seemingly dead band, but it wasn't. Then a response. R1ANT, Mike answered. Maybe 90 watts on a Kenwood 430 S and a home brew 20m CFD. No schedules, no spoting, only shear chance.. with that more rewarding to me as a less than 3 year operator. We talked for 18 miniutes with no other stations observed on my outboard band scope...ahaa the magic. Nice QSL card too.

KF4ZKU and AJ6KZ like this.
  8. KL7WG

KL7WG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a QSO with Paul from my QTH in Alaska on 04/24/21. That makes a nice confirmed entry in my log book!

AJ6KZ likes this.
  9. AG4I

AG4I Ham Member QRZ Page

Kudos to Paul for serving the larger ham community in this way. Very much like a solo DXpedition!

AJ6KZ likes this.
  10. MM0HLT

MM0HLT Ham Member QRZ Page

I had similar when I was down on ZD8 in 2017/18 , please sign my logbook to confirm our QSO,even had a ZL asking for similar! I've NEVER worked ZL from anywhere. Found out that when your the DX or rare'ish ...it brings the best or worst out of our hobby! But it's just like anything in life now ," me ,me ,me and me " stuff everyone else! Best of luck Paul ... Andy, M0HLT... X-ZD8AC , X-VP8DOH

KF4ZKU and AJ6KZ like this.