ad: elecraft

A Ham Radio Elmering Experience / Learning POTA

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W9FFF, Mar 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N8KRO

N8KRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Loved it thank you

KC7ZXY likes this.
  2. K9TDW

K9TDW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I payed attention in English and got mostly A’s. My problem is with auto correct on phones changing what I type, and not taking the time to proof read before posting. CW is full of spelling errors and grammar problems... So anyone who sends CW or gives credence to them is ignorant and poorly educated??

KC7ZXY likes this.
  3. AA4MB

AA4MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No. We use abbreviations - they aren't spelling errors. I remember my old Callbook from years ago had quite a few pages of abbreviations that I never used. But for the record, "TNX FER THE QSO" contains no spelling errors - 'TNX' uses 3 letters instead of 5 and the 'e' in 'FER' is a single dot instead of three dashes for the 'o' - no abuse of grammar or unintentional spelling errors. It was done that way conciously for a reason, at least quite a few decades before I was born.

I now officially forgot what this thread was about - but it probably didn't start out about spelling errors. :)

KR3DX and K8VHL like this.
  4. KA4TMT

KA4TMT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Back to the video. It was a fun to watch. I enjoyed it. Great content.

5. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it's the same story this side of the pond. Retired old men, making themselves 'important' with positions and committees. Not so much about age, as the fixity of mind that afflicts many of them. Trying to make the hobby attractive is almost universally perceived as 'dumbing down'. It amounts to protectionism: 'our hobby, our rules'. Great, until you realise the auditorium is empty...

6. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Spot on

This is my point, if ARRL / Ham Community desires to attract younger Hams, these video and the content plus the creators is the way to go..

Otherwise get used to smelling Bengay at the Ham clubs, or the last CQ call is either from the graves or last but not least nursing homes..Sorry to be dead honest...

My son at at 12 years old went to 2 Ham clubs the youngest Ham was his Dad, at 62.....(With one exception, N5TIP, he was 16 at the time, we hired him as a tutor for our son).

Please don't tell me this was always the case...

Leah, and her father, as stated should be the face of ARRL, and other like them...They will attract young Ham operators far faster, than conventional methods..

NN2X / Tom

Even DX Commander (Callum / CEO) has great videos (Funny, informative, and I even bought is vertical.

KC7ZXY and K9TDW like this.
  7. M0TTQ

M0TTQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think if you look at how RSGB has adapted since the onset of Covid, it deserves a bit of a break. I think it is learning a lesson from the enormous influx of new licencees (0ver 3000) from online exams and the removal of clubs as gatekeepers. A reason the senior voluntary staff of the RSGB has remained the same is because so few people actually put themselves forward to take over. RadCom has been full for years of appeals for people to take over as regional representatives, buro managers, etc. If there was a large pool of disaffected "talent" dissuaded by RSBG, why did UKRS flop?

8. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Spot on...If anyone argues that Hams are not getting older...Just do this, for me...Take the average age of Ham operators at any club, (And please don't tell me young kids don't come)

I point this problem out, and I did my best to fix it, by applying for the CEO position for ARRL (Not president, as someone pointed out) and change at least the time and effort marketing towards young children.

I have a proposed solution (Ham Clubs, and have a mission to Market to Private schools (I did this here in North Dallas, it was smashing success))

2nd. Have Leah / and Father be plastered on front page of ARRL (Or others like them), to be the new young face. They have enthusiasm, that is all you need, as this is contagious!

There is another point, not all kids are destined to become engineers, but those who choose to be, can go through Ham radio. Please don't sell me STEM, not all are the same, and there is a selling point, that is not inline with Ham radio, but I digress..

How many children are not exposed to ham radio, as we are not reaching out to them?

My son, was lucky enough to get an apprenticeship at LaMontAerospace / NASA designing satellite orbits that are being launched by the ISS, at age 13...He was the only native born American to hold this position the rest are from foreign countries. Adam (My son / KI5FJE), got noticed as he passed his Ham ticket at age 12...

I am willing to bet, this can work, after all, We all know how great Ham Radio is a hobby, don't we want others (Especially, Young kids), to enjoy what we did all our life's?

Maybe right here on this forum, we can make a difference, maybe we need another ARRL, if they still want to go the path,

I am willing to bet, we can get a fund, to start a new ARRL, and apply what we have been learning from the young Hams, youtubers, and some venders like DX Commander

Tom Wright / NN2X

MW1CFN, K5QBF, KC7ZXY and 1 other person like this.
  9. K0IP

K0IP Ham Member QRZ Page

Everyone's having fun,,, how good can it get 73

KC7ZXY likes this.
  10. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm generally not a big fan of the Youtubers. But I thoroughly enjoy watching Leah's videos. A lot of excitement, and just general infectious enthusiasm for the hobby. Reminds me a lot of the enthusiasm I had when I was her age.

Great job!

K5QBF and KG5TON like this.
  11. KN8DAP

KN8DAP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm going to watch the video, just because of all the drama queens and grammar nazis commenting on it!
    73 all.

KC5HWB, AA1BG and AC0GT like this.
  12. KJ7RDV

KJ7RDV Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I like this video. I think it’s great to share our hobby and the “radio arts” with others. I’m looking forward to more videos, technical articles, and other materials and events that invite others to explore amateur radio.

KC5HWB, K9TDW, KN8DAP and 1 other person like this.
  13. YD7KQO

YD7KQO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good Luck.

GBU

De YD7KQO Lazuardi From Indonesia

KJ7RDV likes this.
  14. KJ7MX

KJ7MX Ham Member QRZ Page

All you have to do is click on his callsign and hit "ignore". Then he becomes the invisible ogre - problem solved. I've got about a dozen of these curmudgeons on auto-ignore...

KC5HWB, K1BQY and KC3PBI like this.
  15. KE4TZI

KE4TZI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Best tip I heard.

KC5HWB likes this.