ad: elecraft

How Geeky charm turned a WWII maneuver into a competitive sport

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Apr 9, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Meh. It's not political at all and only offensive to hams who are ham-shaped.

I run or bike weekly, and now that I have my first covid jab, have gotten back in the gym on a limited basis (to go full retard once I get the 2nd shot). I frequently take a radio running or biking when the route involves a SOTA or POTA opportunity (I attempted to activate a local state forest under POTA Tuesday midway through my run) or when there's a contest going on and I can operate "pedestrian" or "bicycle" mobile (as I did in the recent VA QSO Party).

There is a pretty decent contingent of hams who are active and integrate radio into their sports. SOTA is a good example of that. Yes, there are drive-up summits, but there are plenty that aren't drive-up and involve fairly strenuous hikes. Not all hams live in their mobility scooters. :)

Chris

VK2WP likes this.
  2. K0AVN

K0AVN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Pretty much like most summits in the South Dakota Black Hills. Very few have trails to the top, lots of bushwhacking... Add in the biting flies from the Badlands and you'll have yourself a horrible time!! It'll weed out the weak ;);)

3. K0AVN

K0AVN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow...even has the typical European music!! I'm sure Will Ferrell could star in a movie about this! :):)

W0PV likes this.
  4. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the ARRL calling contesting "Radiosport" Is insulting to ones intelligence. I am sure there are outliers but contesting means the biggest station, antennas and amplifier's which it far out of reach for most. I happen to know a couple of big time contesters who each have over 100k or more invested. Really what skill is required? Its not Nascar where the best drivers get the best rides.
    At least this fox hunting requires skill and endurance, concentration and physical ability so it would fit as a sport. There are just too many hams fooling themselves with the contesting racket.

VK2WP likes this.
  5. R1BIG

R1BIG Subscriber QRZ Page

What is "somewhat dated" in this video? ;-) We did it with my friends in St.Petersburg in 2014. Thanks for adding of this link. This video exists in many other languages. (Russian, German etc). You can look at : https://ardf.club/#movie I like ARDF :) 73, Raisa R1BIG

AF6SA, OH73ELK and W0PV like this.
  6. VK2WP

VK2WP Ham Member QRZ Page

That would be a really interesting challange. Surely a activity to encourage younger participants to amateur radio.

7. NG1H

NG1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I bow down to you, Master.

8. AF6SA

AF6SA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the great article!
    This how I got interested in radio and electronics back in LZ land as 7th grader.
    Chasing these hidden transmitters and building radios to get them.

9. KN4EHX

KN4EHX Ham Member QRZ Page

Mostly good at running our mouths and pressing our luck (ptt). As a public health professional I whole heartedly agree with you about the state of our physical health. Proper diet and exercise can go a very long way in reducing medical costs and improving the quality of life. A simple walk each day can do wonders for an individuals health.

During my clinical days I was most surprised by how many people have a vitamin D deficiency; I found that very shocking considering most of the US gets a lot of warm weather and sunshine - it is a clear indication people don’t spend much time outside.

It isn’t at all offensive to state a public health problem especially when there can be a positive outcome from a very basic lifestyle change. Also considering the pandemic and the advise to socially distance - taking a walk can be both mentally and physically rewarding. Bring your radio along and have at it.

Again to circle back you made a good point about the state of global health. We hams should set a high bar as an example for others to follow.

10. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

But Chris, unless you were only being sardonic, apparently in your locale, there are both a well established and active ORIENTEERING club, the QOC, plus a similarly situated amateur radio club, the W4OVH group, which already participates in outdoor OTA events like Winter Field Day.

They would seem to be natural candidates for a cooperative relationship in ARDF. ;)

11. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I was speaking specifically about the more athletically-oriented ARDF events. I used to be a member in W4OVH (before life got too busy for clubs). At least at the time they didn't do the sort of thing shown in the OP and seldom did foxhunting at all (that may be different now). While summer Field Day was a big event for them, they were only just getting into Winter Field Day when I drifted away. I'm still on their email reflector and haven't seen anything to indicate a change.

The QOC is new to me and I'll be checking them out. I used to use topo maps and a compass to navigate backcountry mountain bike trips back before GPS was commonplace, so it would be neat to get back into that sort of thing.

Chris

W0PV likes this.
  12. KC9TNH

KC9TNH Ham Member QRZ Page

A delightful article; very much appreciated.

13. W0IW

W0IW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Vry nice..!!!
    De
    W0IW

14. WR7AY

WR7AY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Our club here in Ellis County, Texas, does a once a month foxhunt on the last Saturday of the month. I think we have had 6 or 7 now? I love them.
    I will use this video to get more folks out to play. We do not usually have to run but our last one was a drive to get the first signal then go find the fox.
    Lots of fun. The 144 signal bounce confused me so much I lost finding the fox by 10 seconds. Walked right past it as it showed to be "over there". Argh...
    So I am only 5 of the last winner. lol
    Thanks for the post!
    Ray.

15. R1BIG

R1BIG Subscriber QRZ Page

Ray, what video do you mean? I would like to inform you and everybody that this ARDF video: https://ardf.club/#movie is made by us here in 2014 aimed at ARDF promotion, there is no ads there and you can download the HD-file online and edit it yourself like you want. The whole film with the "joke" in the first minute could be to long for your goals. So you can reduce it and even add something from your own content.

W0PV likes this.