ad: elecraft

Recharge an aerosol can?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5JDX, Apr 12, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W5JDX

W5JDX Ham Member QRZ Page

George attempts to re-pressurize a flat can of contact cleaner. Will it work?
    Find out in AmateurLogic.TV Shorts 3.

AF8RH, KU1V, KO4CFE and 8 others like this.
  2. KJ6SVA

KJ6SVA Ham Member QRZ Page

Only problem I see is if you don't refill it from a dry source of air you end up with a can full of compressed moisture.
    Do you really want to be shooting this into your electronics?

WD8MPQ, N6OUI, N1RBD and 4 others like this.
  3. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Why be a lightweight, charge it with propane and impress your friends.

N8VWY, K3BR, N4GST and 7 others like this.
  4. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

And when the can blows up the eye protection will be the least of your worries.

W4AIN, WD8MPQ, K1LKP and 1 other person like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Spoiler alert: the answer is....
    yes

K1LKP likes this.
  6. N1IPU

Always someone in the crowd who doesn't get it. ;)

N4GST, N6OUI and K1LKP like this.
  7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Golly, what could possibly go wrong? Make sure someone holds your beer before you do it.

Oxygen and moisture in the recharge air will contribute to degrading the can contents, depending on what it is. Also they will corrode the inside of the steel can over time, adding corrosion products to the contents.

I could only see doing this in an emergency if there were no other way to obtain the product or a substitute, and the need was critical and urgent. I would use only enough pressure to expel the contents, not 95 psi, and would replace the can as soon as possible.

WD8MPQ, N6OUI and KR3DX like this.
  8. N1IPU

If you have access to dry nitrogen your really good to go. Pressure is the other side of it though. I would think 1o psi would be fine. Really though if your that hard up for two ounces of anything it might be time for a plan.

W9FL and N0TZU like this.
  9. VE3VXO

VE3VXO Guest

If you have access to dry nitrogen, what are you doing wasting your time with a can of air?

K8VHL and W5LMM like this.
  10. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

OK FOLKS,

WE HAVE TO GIVE SOME CREDIT TO W5JDX.

HE HAS A LOT OF GOOD INTENTIONS AND
    HAS DECIDED TO SHARE IT WID THE ZEDDERS.

THE ZEDDERS HAVE MADE THEIR FEELINGS KNOWN
    ABT THIS POSTING.

WOULD I DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS --- NO WAY.

======================WHY

=====================-BECZ

================================I
    ================AM

CHICKEN 2.jpg

BE VERY CAUTIOUS WHEN SOMEONE ASK YOU FOR ASSISTANCE WITH
    CHANGING OUT THEIR MUFFLER BEARINGS.

TURN UP THE VOLUME AND ENJOY THE VIDEO

73 ES HAVE A FUN FILLED WEEK

LIKES BLUE OUTLINE.jpg

AI8O, K0UO, W4WKU and 2 others like this.
  11. WA5KM

WA5KM Ham Member QRZ Page

trash

NN4RH and K9GLS like this.
  12. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

If your aerosol cans run out of propellent before they run out of product, you don't know how to use an aerosol can correctly.

WP2ASS, NN4RH and K9GLS like this.
  13. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't try this at home...try it at your friend's home.

NE8P, AC0GT and W4AIN like this.
  14. 2E0WMG

2E0WMG Ham Member QRZ Page

Serious question, all I do is give the can a shake, hold it upright and press only as hard as I need to get the required amount of whatever out, I can’t say I have ever noticed this problem happening to often if at all but am I missing something else?

KR3DX and NN4RH like this.
  15. N1IPU

Not going to make a video but if you are so desperate to save the contents just pick up some safety wash bottles. You can poke a hole in the can and draw it out. Spray it where you like.

Honestly these youtubers are in a race for the bottom just to make videos. Even here were flooded by 10 minute vids that the info contained it 30 seconds max if there is any at all. Much of it downright wrong or even dangerous.

“Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. One may protest against evil; it can be exposed and, if need be, prevented by use of force. Evil always carries within itself the germ of its own subversion in that it leaves behind in human beings at least a sense of unease. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. In all this the stupid person, in contrast to the malicious one, is utterly self satisfied and, being easily irritated, becomes dangerous by going on the attack. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one. Never again will we try to persuade the stupid person with reasons, for it is senseless and dangerous.”

― Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Letters and Papers from Prison

AA7BQ, KPK2019, KR3DX and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.