ad: k1jek

Icom ID-4100 quick review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Jun 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

In this video, just checking out the latest ID-4100 50 watt Dstar mobile by Icom. Thanks to GigaParts.com for letting me check it out..

The radio is not complicated, and is very familiar to those ID-51a users out here.
    Let me know what you think about this radio. 73
    KJ4YZI

Attached Files:

NU4R, N9PBD and AD0YR like this.
  2. AD0YR

AD0YR Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish I was younger!!!!!

NU4R likes this.
  3. W8LGZ

W8LGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I had one of the first 10 sold by Universal Radio. Very nice radio, found it quite similar to my ID-51. However, once installed in my car, the display became nearly useless in the daytime. The sun almost completely washes out the display, no matter which color or brightness. If you can mount it where the display will be shaded from the sun, should work just fine. I returned it after a week and got the ID-5100 instead, much better for my needs.

Jim, W8LGZ

NU4R likes this.
  4. WD5G

WD5G XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had my ID-4100A in my vehicle for more than a week now. It replaced the ID-880H I had in the car for 4 or 5 years. I had my ID-5100A in the for during a long road trip to Florida and found the screen to be too big for my needs. The ID-5100A screen was also ann0ying at night, and yes I do know how to manipulate all the settings. The screen on the ID-4100A is hard to read, especially at arms length or more. The screen does not have enough brightness for my liking, even at its max setting. Also, the fonts used are too small when the radio is in the DR or memory mode. In the VFO mode, the numbers are easy to read.

The GPS in the ID-4100 makes it a joy to use when traveling, as it can identify nearby FM repeaters, as well as D-Star repeaters, and then automatically program all the required settings for that repeater. The quick menu button function is a welcome addition over the ID-880H, especially when using the radio in a mobile.

The ID-880H had issues with harsh transmit audio in the FM mode. The ID-4100A does not seem to have this issue. Unlike the ID-880H, the ID-4100A has primitive audio equalization settings for TX or RX.

For those that don't know, Icom recently released a free version of the RS-MS1 application for both IOS (Apple) and Android operating systems. You need to have the UT-137 Bluetooth module installed in the ID-4100 for this to work wirelessly with your iphone, ipad or Android device. This application has some pretty cool functions in it.

For what it's designed to do, I give the ID-4100 a thumbs up! But I do hope Icom gets out of their apparent financial difficulties and becomes profitable enough to once again be able include the mounting bracket with radio. Doesn't it seem dumb that a radio designed for mobile use would not include a thin piece of stamped sheet metal to mount the radio? It probably costs a whole 50 cents to make. It's a big Dooooh for Icom.

Dave, WD5G

NU4R and WD4DXQ like this.
  5. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good job sir!

6. PA5VEN

PA5VEN Ham Member QRZ Page

I got it mounted permanent in my car and I really like this little radio!
    73, PD5VEN

7. K2MR

K2MR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Had mine in the shack for quite a while and recently put in my car. I like it better there because with the head mounted separately and the unit under the seat, I don’t hear the fan which runs whenever the unit is keyed. Receive quality is very clean. I do use a Motorola external speaker. My control head had a run in with a cup of coffee today due to an emergency stop. The display went out and I figured it got fried. I unplugged it, shook some coffee out of it and took it home, opened it up, and used my wife’s hair dryer to dry it out good. Fortunately, it survived. I am very satisfied with the unit and have no difficulty reading the display in the car. The mobile head mount is easy to use and I like the installation in my CRV.

8. KN6HVU

KN6HVU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, I'm trying to connect my ID-4100 to a repeater. Is there a place where I can find instructions on how to connect to a repeater?

9. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Lots of YouTube videos show how everything on it operates.Step by Step instructions that you may Pause & Replay until you get it & it's FREE.

Clayton
    W4KVW