ad: MyersEng-1

Letter to the ARRL... by W6LG - Jim Heath Youtube Elmer

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by KI5MIT, Mar 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI5MIT

KI5MIT Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KI5MIT

KI5MIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Jim just posted the response from Dave Minster, the CEO of the ARRL.
    Wow.

N3AWS likes this.
  3. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Since I can read faster than watching a video:

Issues:
    Losey presentation (key note speech) from the league (disorganized/scattered presenter). Refers simply to ham radio as just a "hobby". etc. The ideas presented in the video make no sense.
    What efforts did you make on the FCC license fee? Going from $50 to $35 with no justification of where the $35 came from.

He wrote a letter Mar 8 to the ARRL CEO (Dave Minster) on why someone should join the ARRL (why is it important for someone to join the ARRL ). Asked for a set of bullet points.
    Jim complained about the logo in the letter, askes for props to help support his videos.
    No answer in 3 weeks. Invitation to Dave Minster to appear in his youtube channel 4 times. Jim was going to create a video on why someone should join the ARRL

To the ARRL: Is that the best you can do?

So basically Jim has a lot of youtube followers and feels he should get some special ARRL treatment. I wasted 11 mins of mine life on a video..
    Newsflash Jim, at least the league treats you like everyone else.

PY2RAF and KA0HCP like this.
  4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for summarizing. I didn't watch, I knew it would be like that. I think the Pres did the right thing.

PY2RAF and N2EY like this.
  5. WW5F

WW5F Ham Member QRZ Page

I wasted several minutes of my life watching this video too. The thing that overwhelms me is the fact that if we are a "service", and should be emphasizing that we are a "service" instead of being a "hobby," then why not show some examples where state and local level government organization have benefited from our "service"; thus, showing we are volunteering our services for free; therefore, should be paid to get a license instead of having to pay for a license?

Where's all this great "service" we provide?

That was an appropriate response from NA2AA. In this case, I support the ARRL.

AA5BK, K8PG, N2EY and 2 others like this.
  6. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Was this asking for special treatment? Even if it was then it's still a popular YouTube personality asking for some assistance in promoting the ARRL. I would hope than any entity would jump at the chance for some free advertising, or at least something of little cost to them. Consider what he asked for, it wasn't much.

A set of bullet points on why someone should join your organization should be something any organization that relies on membership fees to survive has on hand. Answering this request should be a matter that could have been handed off to public relations and answered with a brochure and a one or two page letter mailed in response. I don't see this as asking for special treatment, I see this as an enthusiastic member and/or YouTuber personality asking for some help in creating new members for the ARRL. This might not have been the top priority for the ARRL but a quick turn around with something useful for the guy was called for.

A request for what is the proper logo to use should, like the bullet points to encourage people to join, have been in easy reach for the president of any organization. Branding is a big deal and anyone asking for the current logo should have been replied with alacrity. Asking for a prop might be an odd request but something could have been worked out. Maybe send some magazine samples. Perhaps send a hat, t-shirt, stress toy, or other trinket. Perhaps send a nicely worded letter that no such "props" can be sent at no charge but they can work out a discount for some items from the on-line store.

This was an opportunity for the ARRL to get some good publicity with very little effort on their part. They dropped the ball on this badly. If they can't be bothered to send the guy a letter with some bullet points, a few stickers (serving as both a "prop" and an indication of what the current logo looks like) then they deserve to lose members.

WQ4G, KK1N, AG5SU and 1 other person like this.
  7. WW5F

WW5F Ham Member QRZ Page

He doesn't come across as a very open and inviting person. He comes across as a person who conveys he's owed something. His video repels anyone under 50 years old. It's easy for anyone to see he's not someone who's going to be successful recruiting new folks into amateur radio. It's pretty obvious to anyone who's in any kind of touch with younger folks today. Anything you give him is going to be wasted. And he's going to keep blaming the things he gets for free as the problem. This is a no-win situation.

I'd turn him away too.

Edit: The problem with recruiting new hams today? HE is the problem.

Asking the ARRL for bullet points on why to join the ARRL? Why ask? It's already available. https://www.arrl.org/join-arrl-renew-membership/

Want the ARRL logo? Have to be a member and it's available for download under "Can i use ARRL logos?". http://www.arrl.org/copyright

Bottom line, he's asking stupid questions that already have answers! He's asking the ARRL, "Is that the best you can do?" He should be asking HIMSELF that question.

Edit2: By the way, I lived in Rocklin CA for about a year back in the late 90's. Got out of there as fast as I could.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    PY2RAF, W4LJ, N2EY and 6 others like this.
  8. AJ4WC

AJ4WC Ham Member QRZ Page

Another, I am going to personally and single-handedly save amateur radio with this one QRZ post, or YouTube video cross posted to QRZ in this case.

The idea that a hobby needs to be “saved” is silly. You can’t force people to engage in something just because you find it interesting. People will find other hobbies to engage themselves. My dad liked to throw horse shoes and those crazy lawn darts...

W4LJ, N2EY, WG7X and 1 other person like this.
  9. KD7LX

KD7LX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Knowing nothing of W6LG other than this little tirade, my gut reaction was that here is a typical old fart/ham radio curmudgeon, bitching and moaning about the ARRL. I don't blame Mr. Minster for telling him to go pound sand. I've been in a lot of jobs dealing with the public, and know that when somebody comes at you like this there is absolutely no way to please them. Does he expect to get his ass kissed because he has a YouTube channel? Like I said, all I know about W6LG is what I saw in this video. He could have a rich legacy of being a great asset to the hobby, and if so, it seems a shame to piss away that reputation making a nasty video like this.

W4LJ, N2EY, WG7X and 1 other person like this.
  10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I read the replies first and saved 11 minutes.

W4LJ, N2EY, KG5THG and 7 others like this.
  11. NN5AA

NN5AA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm with you on this, Dan.

&3, Vince - NN5AA

WG7X, N3AWS and K3XR like this.
  12. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hip boots and snorkel at the ready.
    (The S***'s gonna get deep)
    Ymmv

K6VOX likes this.
  13. K6VOX

K6VOX Ham Member QRZ Page

Throws a "full" body sealed suit @ kd8dey.....I think we will need an upgrade as the high wall of S^%$ is incoming....

14. KB9MWR

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    K4AVF and N2EY like this.
  15. KB9MWR

@AC0GT
    For what its worth W6LG, Jim had some modest requests and likely good points like the bulleted list etc.

I was initially annoying having to watch a video vs read. In a perfect world, KI6MIT wouldn't have posted this here and thus I'd know nothing of Jim's rambling and I'd be happier.
    Makes me wonder if Peter, KI6MIT helps this joker pump his youtube channel earning or something. The post here had no intro comments from Peter.

But since I had too watch to find out, I can say Jim comes off as an older crabby guy who thinks the world owes him something or that his shit doesn't stink or something. (Others have made the same observation)

I am not apt to waste any further time to see if Jim has any real content (like anything technical)...

N3AWS likes this.