ad: Schulman-1

MFJ's Martin Jue, K5FLU answers questions on YouTube

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G0KSC, Mar 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G0KSC

G0KSC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Martin Jue K5FLU answers questions of subscribers to the 'Ham Radio Guy - G0KSC' YouTube channel.

Martin formed MFJ Enterprises almost 50 Years year ago and has taken his company to the World’s largest producer of Ham Radio accessories today. You can hear Martin’s responses to some of the most difficult of questions as well the easy ones!

KN4ODM, W7XLR, KC5OMC and 18 others like this.
  2. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Getting the extra large bowl of popcorn out for this comment section should be a doozy. :D

WA3JKD, M0TCH, KB1MM and 2 others like this.
  3. AF7EC

AF7EC Ham Member QRZ Page

Not starting off easy, is he?? :eek:

KG7HVR and N7XCZ like this.
  4. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Kudos for getting the elephant out of the room with that first question.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2021
    W7XLR, N1VAU, N7XCZ and 2 others like this.
  5. KX8C

KX8C QRZ Lifetime Member #153 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

50 years. Amazing. IMHO it is extremely difficult to keep a business running for that long. Mr. Jue is to be congratulated for that achievement! And yes, I have one of his antenna analyzers in my shack.

W7XLR, W5ARM, KG7HVR and 14 others like this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Just as so many dissed on Radio Shack over the years, but bemoaned its passing, so too would be the ham radio world should MFJ go bye-bye.

Are they perfect? Hell no - who is? But they supply a much-needed flow of products to the hobby.

Here's to another 50 years for MFJ!

Dave
    W7UUU

W7XLR, N8VIL, W5ARM and 30 others like this.
  7. K3LU

K3LU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a MFJ Grandmaster memory keyer I've been using regularly for over 35 years and it still keeps going. I've had to replace only one of the four memory button switches. The one button that is pressed 95% of the time. The first one! The memory keyer has outlasted the TS520 I first hooked it up to too, the family TV set at the time, Atari game set, Commodore 64, the first cellphone I ever had and every other important and not important electronic gizmo. I've hauled it to Central America and back many times. It owes me nothing and I thank MFJ for a great product. I have a few other MFJ products that have stood the test of time but this one is my favorite because it was my first. Also hats off to Mr Jue for figuring out how to make a living making and selling gear to radio amateurs who normally aren't known for throwing their money away.

W7XLR, AD0NC, W4MAL and 5 others like this.
  8. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

CW memory keyer Circa 1983, mines. And still going. And yeah, it still can eat a 9v transistor radio battery in no time.

I imagine that this keyer of mine will out last me. And generally
    I prefer it to any other.

Several of these and tuners. Aswell as a few station accessories.

Thanks!
    No matter what!

If it wasn't quite, proper Martin, I made it work to my liking.
    Sorry it voided the warranty... Hams do that.

Happy Amazing Fifty, MFJ!

RRK

KD0WGB likes this.
  9. WU3U

WU3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I’ve had a few flops when it comes to MFJ and a few things that worked really good. Those 939 tuners will tune my short end fed wire on 160m and I’ve made some nice contacts. My LDG tuners will not tune it on 160. I’m sure the efficiency is nil but I worked a bunch of stations with it.

Most of the stuff that I’ve personally seen bad from MFJ had been poor assembly practices. I have a CW decoder that I bought off of someone here on QRZ that there’s no way the thing could have worked for him although he sold it to me in “perfect working condition”. Imagine that. It had a bridged solder joint inside and I hit it with some solder wick and re flowed the two joints and I’ve probably used the thing for 40 hours or more with no issues.

MFJ has allowed a lot of hams that might not have otherwise been able to afford to participate in the hobby a chance at being involved at a lower price tag than buying higher priced gear. You have to give them credit for that but that can sometimes come at a price of getting something exchanged or waiting for something to be repaired until you get something that works. Part of the Good, Fast, Cheap principal. Pick two of those but you don’t get the third one.

Curt
    WU3U

W7XLR, K0PJM, W0AQ and 1 other person like this.
  10. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

You know, I've heard all of the tales about how bad MFJ was in the past.... and maybe it's true. BUT my experience with 'em has been nothing but EXCELLENT. Our local MFJ dealer is always helpful, and all of the MFJ stuff in my shack does exactly what it is supposed to do.

I DID have a bulb in my SWR meter burn out once, though. I called my vendor and in less than a week a pack of three new little bulbs arrived.

Thanks for all you do, Martin!

W7XLR, N2OA, G3SEA and 4 others like this.
  11. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice interview. I watched it in its entirety. MFJ is the brand we love to hate, but in all fairness, for the most part, once the shakedown cruise is completed, the loose screws retightned, the occasional cold solder joint reflowed, you usually end up with a decent product at reasonable price which lasts a long time. Long live MFJ.

VU3DRU and WD5GWY like this.
  12. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had many MFJ (and subsidiary like Ameritron and HyGain) products over a period of decades. Only a couple had manufacturing defects like the infamous cold solder joints. I've had good service out of Martin's products and will rue the day they are no longer around

WD5GWY likes this.
  13. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Terrible audio "quality" for the Jue end of the conversation.

Jue's answer to the first question was wishy-washy. What I extracted was that the training of those who assemble MFJ products and those who do follow up QC is seriously lacking. I'm not buying the excuses. We all know what rolls downhill...

K9GLS likes this.
  14. M0RIF

M0RIF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have just one bit of MFJ kit s manual versa tuner MFJ941E and its just fine for the price, just a bulb replaced and a bit of lube on coax switch, very reliable tuner.

15. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

MFJ has kept many ham radio brands alive and available at reasonable prices.

MFJ customer service is very good when you need it.

Long live MFJ and his company!

W9FL likes this.