ad: CQMM-1

Ham Nation 3-17-2021: Hand Tools, ICOM Antenna, Last Man Standing Special Event and W4KEV

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KN6NWZ, Mar 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KN6NWZ

KN6NWZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you so much! He is a pretty great guy, I’ll pass along the message!

2E0TWD likes this.
  2. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll pass at $1 per cup. I guess I'm too cheap! :)

KN6NWZ and K9GLS like this.
  3. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Too cheap? Don't be so hard on yourself. You have more common sense.

4. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure about common sense, but I'm keeping a $1/day in my wallet. LOL

KN6NWZ and K9GLS like this.
  5. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've watched HN for a number of years and often watch the "back issues" when exercising.
    I find it an entertaining amateur news source.
    Great that Josh picked it up and I haven't noticed any drop-off in production quality.
    The updates on the larger ham events such as Huntsville, Orlando, Dayton are helpful.
    Keep it going and maybe experiment a little with some new ideas.

KN6NWZ likes this.
  6. KN6NWZ

Ah yes, it’s a little pricey! I drink a couple of cups of tea a day so I use it more to find new teas to enjoy. If I find something so really like, I’ll buy a package of just that tea. It’s like visiting a virtual tea room instead of a tea shop, more for the sampling experience than the everyday cup of tea.

KQ8W likes this.
  7. KN6NWZ

What a weird way to insult someone you don’t know because they have a tea drinking hobby that might cost a little more money.
    What a nice way to welcome a new ham to the QRZ conversation.

8. KN6NWZ

The Ham Nation team does such a great job! It’s an interesting take on ham radio news and topics, I feel like it’s a good mix for all generations of hams. Thank you so much for watching, I’ll pass your kind words onto Josh!

9. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

Fair point. It's easy to criticize others on their spending when it doesn't align with your ideals. I have more money in my bicycling gear than ham radio and many people just don't understand why anyone would put that kind of money into a bicycle.

10. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I get it. I was a cyclist long before I got into radio. Here in NoVA, it's not unusual for people to show up at group rides with multi-kilobuck bikes, some upwards of 20k. All of my ham radio expenditures combined wouldn't buy me a decent custom ride.

Luckily for me, I've managed to recognize the fact I'm not good enough to take advantage of a high end bike. It saves me money. :)

Chris

11. KN6NWZ

Oh, that comment wasn’t directed at you. You were perfectly polite in your response. It was directed at the guy who alluded to the insult that I have no common sense because I spend a little more on tea sampling.

My husband was an avid cyclist and even got into biking to work everyday to fit his rides in until one day he got in an accident with a car. He rode for a while after until we had kids. We still have all the cycling gear, I believe because he hopes that between all his other hobbies like ham radio and responsibilities he’s going to start riding again. Ham on bikes does seem like a good way to incorporate fitness into radio though, lol!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    KQ8W likes this.
  12. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Not a fan of the subscription services but I grew up with a very English mother and used to visit regularly. For me having a true British tea is comfort and remembrance. Worth a little extra for that. Last time I ordered it was about 5 pounds plus shipping for 80 bags. So a lot less then a dollar a cup.

13. KA4TMT

KA4TMT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A
    As a lover of cycling I feel the pain. Blown off the road by uncaring or rude motorists enough times to give up on it unless i am on a dedicated trail or path and no I don't mean a bike lane they will blow you clean into the weeds on those as well. You can incorporate it in your set up. Hook up a bike driven generator and have your husband pedal while you operate portable!

14. KI4POT

I've been doing that lately. Either as transportation to an operating site (such as biking to a WMA about 11 miles to do a POTA activation), or to "operate" while riding. I did a gravel ride this weekend and took an HT along so I could work a few stations in the VA QSO Party (my route took me up and over a local mountain). We won't mention the time I put an antenna on my bike while participating in an MS150 ride about 14 years ago. I was doing the ride and providing updates to net control running support comms.

I just got back from a ride and a radio was tucked into the Revelate Mtn Feedbag. It's a sickness...

Chris

KN6NWZ likes this.
  15. KI4POT

I go to the UK twice a year for work (last trip was Glasgow, Birmingham, and London). Or did before Covid. Over here, I like Irish Breakfast Tea and Scottish Breakfast Tea. Both are nice and strong and hold up to a little milk. I can't find those over there, it's all just "breakfast tea". :)

Chris

KN6NWZ likes this.