ad: chuckmartin

HR2.0 - KA6LMS HF Special Event | Interview with the Last Man Standing Team!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Mar 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

What is a 'ham radio Celebrity'?

Perhaps you mean someone who started from nowhere, then worked their tail off putting together a string of shows that grew an audience over years and became popular?

That is one way of being picked out of a crowd for a limited 'privilege' that can't be bestowed on everyone.

For six years, LMS selected many guest ops from the pool of everyone who asked. Then someone dropped a turd in the punch bowl by messing with the cast and crew, abusing their 'privilege' when they were invited. The 7th year (the last pre-pandemic year of production), guest ops were specifically invited because the crew trusted them (I got to be one of those ops).

But LMS also had a message to get out, a way to expand their operation and involve more hams in a really fun exchange with the on-set station. That message was passed through all ham media, including the YouTubers and Podcasters. You know, those hams who worked their tails off to build an audience that was attractive to anyone who wanted to reach that audience.

You can become a ham radio 'celebrity' if you want to. Are you willing to put in what it takes?

N8DAH, W4SCT, KF8IV and 3 others like this.
  2. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well said, Gary. Great hearing from you.

3. K9WK

K9WK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Who cares? This should be on facebook not QRZ!

N3FAA, KA2FIR, N4CAX and 1 other person like this.
  4. KN6NWZ

KN6NWZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m sorry if this is a stupid question but I’m new to QRZ. Are there certain content restrictions for this forum other than being ham radio related?

N8DAH, W4SCT, KC5HWB and 1 other person like this.
  5. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well worded. Of course, the answer is no. Why in the world a select few people have and make such a big issue about this constantly is beyond me. Perhaps they're the ones who should stay off QRZ...? o_O

W4SCT, KC5HWB and KN6NWZ like this.
  6. KD5BVX

Great to see a post from you, Gary! And a very well worded post it is! Spot on!

W4SCT and KC5HWB like this.
  7. N1RBD

N1RBD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Serious lack of CW ops during the first 4 hours. :(

KA2FIR likes this.
  8. W4SCT

W4SCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Jason,
    Just caught you on FT8! Thanks for being there and thanks for what you do!
    73 Brad

KC5HWB and KD5BVX like this.
  9. KC5HWB

Watch the spotters because they are there.

10. KC5HWB

Honestly people in Ham Radio Groups on Facebook are more polite, and that is kinda sad.

KD5BVX and W4SCT like this.
  11. K4SUE

K4SUE Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a huge Last Man Standing fan since the beginning. But I doubt if 98% of the people watching have any idea what that stuff on Mike's desk is. If ham radio could have been somehow woven into the plot I think it might have made an impression, but other than to hams, I don't think the series is promoting ham radio in any way. Just my thoughts.

N3FAA and KC5HWB like this.
  12. W9EBE

W9EBE Subscriber QRZ Page

I seem to recall that ham radio was woven into the plot in at least one episode.

K4SUE and KD5BVX like this.
  13. KD5BVX

If you're really a fan then you know it was in a few episodes...but the bigger deal is that the station was an actual working station and was used by the crew regularly and had guest operators. But, again, if you're really a fan then you'd know that...

K4SUE likes this.
  14. K4SUE

K4SUE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, that's the 2% I referred to.

15. N1RBD

N1RBD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

At least four stations had NO CW ops. Disappointing. :(