ad: Radclub22-1

How to Grow Ham Radio -- Part 2: Attitude

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Mar 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. NJ4Z

NJ4Z Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

[/QUOTE]
    Cal when you get to the first club function, make yourself known, if they don't greet you, walk up to folks and introduce yourself. Get on a local net if you have a set-up, that way folks will know your call when you get to meet in person. The most important for a new ham to do is get on the AIR. Cal you are always welcome to join us virtually in our meetings. send me an e-mail on QRZ and I will get you a link and the meeting schedule Nj4Z

2. NJ4Z

Well said .. and that is the beauty of this hobby, the collective intelligence of Hams is incredible, our resourcefulness is unmatched, and our ingenuity can not be defeated... Ham Radio always finds a way! De NJ4Z

KE0N likes this.
  3. NJ4Z

Leah, you and Josh do an amazing job on helping folks get into and advance this hobby, Josh has been an inspiration to me, and part of why I started my own channel to be another positive voice helping folks get started and advance in the hobby. Congrats on getting your ticket!!! Look forward to hearing you on the air... all the best de NJ4Z

KE0N and KN6NWZ like this.
  4. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

I showed myself "the way" when I was 17 and got licensed attending Novice classes. I remember a high school acquaintance would cause QRM in the class. He's no longer licensed. CB radio and SWL'ing stirred my interest. Today things are different. When I introduced my son's Cubscout pack members to crystal radio kits and kids day there was little if any interest in them.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    NJ4Z likes this.
  5. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

73 QUIN

AND

THANK YOU FOR ALL U DO TO UPLIFT OUR WONDERFUL
    FUN FILLED HOBBY.......BRAVO......

Thanks so much, Carmen. Keep the CFOs going. I remember Jim (TO) and Ken (VVD) from my Chicago days.

Quin

K1LKP likes this.
  6. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

KN6NWZ likes this.
  7. KN6NWZ

KN6NWZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you so much for the kind words and congratulations! I look forward to checking out your channel!

KE0N and NJ4Z like this.
  8. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you would have to try saying that or any radioman having to pass traffic in combat or handling multiple traffic during maneuvers land or sea. One missed call or one bad relay can mean a lot. Its fact that in times of war and emergency Ham operator's are put to use. It's not so much about risk as handling a situation though your handling of traffic could easily put others at risk maybe even yourself. It's really just not a hobby. Probably is for a lot but if your serious about it then do it right.
    I have no problem getting yelled at if I drop the ball.

9. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

OH MY GOD QUIN,

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THAT WALK BACK IN TIME .......BRAVO.......

JIM AND KEN ARE NOW UP THERE SORARING WITH ALL THE QRQ ANGELS.

THREE CHEERS FOR HAM RADIO HEAVEN.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/membership-to-the-cfo-club.749026/

73 ES HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY WEEKEND

CLUCK.........CLUCK.........CLUCK.......

CFO OLE CROW OPERATOR SMALL.jpg

10. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

But we're not talking about people paid to use radio in a professional or military context. And random hams being a critical piece of the emergency response puzzle is a tired fantasy pushed by the ARRL resulting in myriad posts asking "can I haz mars/cap for 'mergencies?".

We're talking about people who are most likely to be saying "you're 59, QSL?" over and over again. But I suppose we all have a little Walter Mitty in each of us.

Chris

11. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

When you do something you should try to do it as best you can and as professionally as possible even if its a hobby. I try not to promote or encourage this race to the bottom so many of you like to.

KR3DX likes this.
  12. NJ4Z

We all enjoy the hobby, they way we enjoy the hobby. We should strive to be the best we can, and help others become the best they can. That said, it is called Amateur Radio for a reason, it is for enjoyment. Agreed that if you take on the mantle of ARES, RACES, MARS and/or AUXCOMM you need to be at a high level, lives may depend on what you are doing. I love the interaction here, de Nj4Z

WA9TDD likes this.
  13. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I received a card in the mail which offered a free first-year for a local ARC. Being that we're in a pandemic, I could only visit with them for their Zoom club meetings. But I'll tell you, it was very strange to me how a person can attend that meeting and be a "stranger" in the Zoom audience, with camera on and mic operational, and never even be asked "Who are you? Tell us about yourself" . . . No welcoming message, no communication directed to new members or prospective members and so on, for two consecutive meetings I attended. Plus, I'm a VE and had offered my services to the organization. Still, no welcome, no comments . . . nothing. An "Old Boys Club" where I was clearly not welcome. On the other hand, there's another ARC a long drive (40 min) away from me that appears welcoming and friendly. I can tell you which one I'll be joining when in-person meetings come back!!

W0JKT and NJ4Z like this.
  14. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So sorry that happened to you, Dave. Part of it is just a lot of introverts. In the next couple videos we are going to address the ways we can rise above this. Stay tuned.

Quin, K8QS
    Subscribe to "Ham Radio Perspectives" YouTube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MJT8o8-XMxF8XROf7Q5GA/videos

15. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Who's encouraging a race to the bottom? How about not freaking out on people new to the hobby when they make a mistake or ask a question? Or act disparaging and try to run them off? How about a little understanding and patience for people who are at least showing some interest in a hobby that most people thought was already dead?

I'm quoting from another thread because it perfectly illustrates the challenge by assholes who think "big boy rules" give them a license to treat others poorly. That's not how "big boy rules" work and people who claim otherwise are hiding their own deficiencies:

Chris

KK4NSF and KN6NWZ like this.