ad: chuckmartin

How to Grow Ham Radio -- Part 2: Attitude

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Mar 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Coconut butter.

NJ4Z likes this.
  2. W4HM

This post sounds pretty negative to me.:D

3. W4HM

I joined a local club twice in the past 26 years and had the same negative experience each time.

I did join a QRP club in Denver, CO in 1994 and it was all good. Really knowledgeable nice people.

4. KC7MAW

KC7MAW Ham Member QRZ Page

Embrace what is already happening.

I recently returned to the hobby after taking 19 years off. What I see is a hobby that has made adjustments and is continuing to adjust. One of biggest obstacles to on-air enjoyment for your modern day ham is the Noise Floor and Antenna Restrictions. POTA, SOTA, and Digital Modes are amazing developments for the new modern day ham. Recognize that for most, a 50 foot tower on the property is not even in the realm of possibilities. Your State and Local Community planning departments pursue policy that further increases urban density. This has been going on for 30 plus years and there is no end in sight. The hobby is adjusting, embrace it and if you can't embrace it, then at the very least don't go out of your way to denigrate it.

N1VAU, K4MID, KR3DX and 1 other person like this.
  5. KN6NWZ

KN6NWZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video! Thank you for shining a light on how important it is to be inclusive in the hobby. Honestly, there’s a lot of etiquette involved in ham radio and that can be extremely intimidating. I think giving newbies some grace and gentle education when you encounter them on the air goes a long way.

I also find that the ornery attitude sometimes encountered in online ham radio groups really deters newbies and I think one of the reasons we see this behavior is because people want to show their knowledge and some do so with a high and mighty attitude that comes off as derision. It’s honestly more helpful to communicate knowledge in a kind way because not only does it help newbies, it’s better for the community at large.

There are groups that really focus on the inclusivity piece, Ham Radio Crash Course FB group being one of them, addressing rude behavior and clearly identifying that gate keeping and condescension is not tolerated. After all, we all start somewhere and not everyone has an Elmer to help give them guidance and confidence when they first get on the air.

K6VOX, N1VAU, W0JKT and 6 others like this.
  6. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Operators don't need to be coddled if you want them to be worth their salt. I had a flight instructor when I was in my early teens who would smoke cigars and scream in my ear in the most critical phases of flight. I hated the man until I had those critical moments solo. Then I learned why he was such a codger. Actually saved my life down the line from the lessons he taught and the stress he created. I began to understand. World is a complicated place so if you need to be coddled all the way through you may not perform when its required. Being said fowl language and harassment is not good but a slap in the face can be a good thing. We can see the results of coddling today and it isn't pretty for anyone.

KA2FIR likes this.
  7. KN6NWZ

KN6NWZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don’t think asking for people to respectful and considerate to their peers is coddling. The attitude that a person just starting out should have the same knowledge as someone who has been operating for years is not good elmering.

K4KFW, W0JKT, G3SEA and 4 others like this.
  8. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

HORSE AND WATER.jpg

73 ES HAVE A FUN FILLED WEEKEND

KA2FIR likes this.
  9. KI4POT

KI4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Flying an plane and operating the radio as an amateur are not even in the same galaxy in terms of risk.

One of my other hobbies, and one that has had a significant impact in how I interact with others, is the study of "applied violence". I would say the stakes there are closer to flying a plane than operating a radio. The best instructors in that realm, outside specific scenarios, do not randomly scream at or attempt to generate false emotional stress in students. I've trained under some who have found unique ways of introducing stress in students demonstrating a technique. Ever had to make calculations based on random numbers thrown at you in order to determine which "attacker" to engage? It reminds one of the bridge scene in Monty Python and The Holy Grail ("Red! I mean blue!").

Regardless, that sort of thing has no place where the most serious stakes are forgetting to use the right "Q code".

Chris

W0JKT, KY4FN, KN6NWZ and 2 others like this.
  10. K1LKP

YOUR WORDS OF WISDOM ARE MUCH APPRECIATED.

======== write THANK TOU.gif

ONE WORLD HAM RADIO.jpg

======================= COEXIST.jpg

==================== PEACE TREE.jpg

73 ES EVERYONE PLEASE HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY WEEKEND

W9EBE, WA9TDD, KN6NWZ and 1 other person like this.
  11. NJ4Z

NJ4Z Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Love IT!!!

W4HM likes this.
  12. KQ0J

KQ0J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KA2FIR “you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink”

As a long time horse owner I used to retort " I can't make him drink, but I know how to make him thirsty .... "

KR3DX, KN6NWZ and NJ4Z like this.
  13. K1LKP

Great points, Cal. We are talking about human nature, not just ham radio. But as we will unpack in a few follow-up videos, when the "positive persons" decide to get together and make positive things happen, the negative folks for the most part will eventually tag along.
    Quin, K8QS
    Subscribe to "Ham Radio Perspectives" YouTube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MJT8o8-XMxF8XROf7Q5GA/videos
    [/QUOTE]

the negative folks for the most part will eventually tag along.

====== NEGATIVE FOLKS.jpg

NEGATIVE BATTERIES.jpg

73 QUIN

AND

THANK YOU FOR ALL U DO TO UPLIFT OUR WONDERFUL
    FUN FILLED HOBBY.......BRAVO......

14. NJ4Z

I am terribly sorry you had that experience. That is why Quin and Tom are doing the video series. We have to identify the problem to address it. There are many many more good hams then the grumpy hams that hate change and are not very passionate about he hobby. This is about making the effort to make the change. It is about making the decision to be the one who starts the change. I can tell you I did not have a great experience the fist time I visited my club. I was new, didn't know a soul, had my call for 2 whole days. I walked in it was like I was invisible. After about 20 minutes another person walked in had been in the club for a year saw I was new and talked with me. We became friends. The next meeting i got to the clubhouse early and waited by the door and I greeted each person coming in. Member, non member it didn't matter. I didn't like the way I was treated coming in, but I decided I wasn't going to let that stop me on my journey. The same change became infectious, now it is a race to see who can greet new people first. De NJ4Z

KB3LKM, N0TZU, KE0N and 1 other person like this.
  15. NJ4Z

yep the horse has to want to drink and hams have to want to change, but they need someone to show them the way and how it can be. De NJ4Z