ad: ProAudio-1

HR2.0 - KA6LMS HF Special Event | Interview with the Last Man Standing Team!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Mar 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KN6NWZ

KN6NWZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know the owners of this page personally so I only know what I've read about QRZ's front page filtering process but my understanding is that it's the page owners that choose the front page features by hand. I think Jason has even said that he spoke with the owners of QRZ and they told him to keep posting to the forum category that he posts in and they select his posts when they think it will garner interest on the front page. Truth be told, this conversation we're having on the topic will likely encourage the page owners to continue to put Jason on the front page. Our comments on the thread count as engagement, regardless of whether the comments are positive or negative.

That being said, it appears that the Last Man Standing event is clearly favored. There are many posts on the front page about the various people involved in the farewell activation. Maybe that's why this one was hand picked for the front page.

KF8IV, KC5HWB and G7DAZ like this.
  2. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That is true, he has stated this....and other PAYING members (not myself) have also said that they WON'T be paying into the Zed in the future....so it's a double edged sword......footfall = $$$.......but PAYING members leaving = LOSS of $$$ :(

KA2FIR likes this.
  3. KN6NWZ

I don't know very much about the benefits of QRZ membership. Aside from the titles next to the names, why do people pay QRZ? If it's to support the extensive callsign database, forum and news, I would hope that people can scroll past front page articles they don't want to read and continue to support the site. The other features don't go away just because there's one poster they don't like, right?

4. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the issue though....you scroll past one of his video's then low and behold there's another one and then another one and then....Ad infinitum :rolleyes: .....it's more video than News. I don't like YT but i feel like it's being rammed down my throat when i come on here....YMMV
    I never said i don't like the guy and i don't recall anyone else saying that they didn't like him.....it's as we keep saying over and over and over (it won't end) again and again, please, please pretty &*^%$£@ please just put the video's in the VIDEO section......i know they won't....so let them lose out on members dollars; their choice.

KA2FIR and KN6NWZ like this.
  5. KG5TON

KG5TON Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Leah, KN6NWZ.
    Congrats on getting your license!

KF8IV, KC5HWB and KN6NWZ like this.
  6. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I doubt anyone is jealous unless they are impressed by celebrity. Allen doesn't impress me because I understand there is no honor amongst thieves. He did turn in his compatriots for a lesser sentence which tells me this is a man that cannot be trusted as he would sell anyone out for his own skin. He is an entertainer after all. Just because he put a radio on set does not make him the savor of amateur radio.

I guess if your into that sort of thing its a big deal but I am not. I tend to prefer the people who push forward the state of the art, Instruct and lead the way. It fine you like this sort of thing but don't expect me to pay for it. If you want to pay for it subscribe and join patreon. That's the venue for this kind of drivel.

I know someone here at QRZ likes this stuff, one of the janitors makes a point of following me around about it. But again it just makes sure when my membership runs out I won't be renewing. Many others feel the same as you can see here.

I just wonder if Cardi B was holding a handheld while grinding with her partner a few nights ago if you all would be singing praises over it. I tend to think so.

WJ1MK, KE0GXN, WE4B and 2 others like this.
  7. KN6NWZ

Thank you so much!!

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wondered how long it would take... :rolleyes:

KN6NWZ likes this.
  9. KF7WIS

KF7WIS QRZ CEO QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Leah isn't wrong here gentleman, Many of you like to knock Jason and his content.. but only AFTER clicking on it and engaging in discussion about it. What is a website's purpose if not to engage it's users? Or a podcast's for that matter.. or a video's?

We are always appreciative of those of you who choose to subscribe and our entire 4 person staff works full time to bring you features that you value like XML service, an upgraded QRZ Logbook experience, QRZ Operating Awards, etc. We also put a lot of time and effort into doing things like maintaining the functionality and responsiveness of the callsign database, moderating the forums, and curating the front page, none of which have a huge effect on our operating budget. We do these things because we really, earnestly enjoy being of service to the amateur radio community. We also enjoy being a meeting place of sorts where amateurs can share information and opinions. So, please by all means, continue to do so.

And if you'd like to have a hand in shaping the front page content, click on things that interest you and scroll past those that don't. It's that simple.

73's

Jaime

P.S. Also, before Last Man Standing, how long had it been since a prime time show featured amateur radio?! I thought that was a pretty cool thing. Maybe it's just me...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    KU4MP, KF8IV, KD5BVX and 6 others like this.
  10. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Only if she was holding a Baofeng.....;)

11. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

I meant of Jason

12. KA4TMT

KA4TMT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One of the biggest shows of the last few years has been Stranger Things, Season 3 episode 1 was streamed almost 20 million times in just the first 3 days it was released! How many kids and young adults are watching last man standing, probably less than 1 percent (the show is not geared toward that demographic)but most of those watching Stranger Things are right in the age group we keep talking about trying to lure to Ham radio. Yet all I keep seeing is last man standing like it is the only show with ties to ham radio.

13. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Jaime, good to see you here.

I get tired of explaining over and over again that I, and other posters to these forums, have zero control over what does and doesn't get posted to the front page of QRZ. It's been said so many times, I can't even count - so that means that people either don't understand how the front page works or they choose to ignore it. Either way, I do thank you and the other Mods for the work you do on these pages.

KD5BVX and KI4POT like this.
  14. KF7WIS

KF7WIS QRZ CEO QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Feel free to interview someone from the show or just write an editorial about the show and it’s ties to Ham Radio. I’ll post it front and center as long as your post has some substantial content and an engaging graphic or photo. Looking forward to it!
    I can only post what I receive.

Jaime

KF8IV likes this.
  15. KN6NWZ

I think LMS is popular in the ham community because there is an actual base station that the crew invites operators to transmit from. I love Stranger Things, of course, amazing show but being able to operate from a TV set is a pretty cool experience. And John Amodeo does such a great job of outreach and putting together this last contest. It’s hard not to share his enthusiasm.

KD5BVX and KC5HWB like this.