ad: M2Ant-1

HR2.0 - KA6LMS HF Special Event | Interview with the Last Man Standing Team!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Mar 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Tonight I get the privilege of speaking to John Amodeo and other staffers from the popular TV show 'Last Man Standing' starring Tim Allen as KA0XTT. To commemorate the last season of Last Man Standing, I'm honored to have been invited to operate as one of the Special Event Stations later this month. Tonight we will talk about details of that event.

Event Info here: http://gsbarc.org/lms

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][/COLOR]

KD5BVX likes this.
  2. KA8VNG

KA8VNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thing's like this really put the fun back in radio. I will try to make a contact. ( GREAT )

K0RVW, KC5HWB and KD5BVX like this.
  3. K7CB

K7CB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course you got to spend time at the station - you're a privileged "celebrity" amateur...an average amateur would never get invited.

N4CAX, G7DAZ, N3FAA and 2 others like this.
  4. KN6NWZ

KN6NWZ Ham Member QRZ Page

An open invitation to the LMS event would be great but I think that might be more people than the crew could handle. I heard they previously had some bad actors that caused issues opening the studio more publicly.

I think it is nice that they are reaching out to people who put an effort into growing the hobby through their outreach efforts on many platforms. A lot of these ham radio creators spend a lot of their time teaching and sharing making the hobby more accessible.

K2TY, KF8IV, KF7WIS and 2 others like this.
  5. K7CB

K7CB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I appreciate that they have a station and wish they had featured it more on the show to promote the hobby. I just find it kind of ironic in today's political and social atmosphere with people complaining of equality and "white privilege" that one had to essentially be of privileged "celebrity' status to even get a glimpse of the station in person or be a member of their club.

6. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

It's private property, they can grant access to whomever they please. However, there's a clear path to you getting access here. Start a Youtube channel, grow your viewership, and you too could get to play on someone else's station. :)

As for using it to promote the hobby more, the show isn't about amateur radio. They've already gone over and above the sort of "promotion" the hobby gets in most productions.

Chris

KT4ZE likes this.
  7. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Everyone get's their 15 minutes they say but I think the Romans said it best that when god comes for us men will go mad.

G7DAZ and KE0GXN like this.
  8. KO2Q

KO2Q Lifetime Member 562 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

There's "privilege" in every aspect of life. I don't move in those circles either but it doesn't bother me in the least. I know where my lane is and I stay in it.

If all this bugs you that much do what I do - don't watch "youtubers". They have bugger-all to say that interests me (plus many of them are quite excruciating to listen to) so I don't bother.

I also don't know what this "last man standing" stuff is all about and I really don't care.

KE0GXN and G7DAZ like this.
  9. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

i read that as desperation....however YMMV ;)

TEACHING....Seriously ??? o_O .....IMO the only thing the "creator" is sharing is his YT earnings with his bank-manager :rolleyes: ....again YMMV.

KA2FIR, 2E0HVK, WN1MB and 1 other person like this.
  10. KN6NWZ

[QUOTE
    Have you not seen the multitude of technician exam and general exam prep videos from multiple YouTube creators?

Also, I think you're seriously overestimating YT earnings for ham radio operators. The idea that YT earnings are going to justify the kind of banking relationship that puts someone in front of a banking manager is laughable. And even if YT creators were making money from videos, how is that different from all the people who make exam test prep books, paid apps and websites, etc.? It's just a new delivery platform. Anything that grows the hobby in a positive way should be embraced. Otherwise, you're creating an exclusive mentality that closes off the hobby to newcomers.

You have to meet the new generation where they spend their time. For various generations that can be forums, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, Reddit, TikTok, etc. I don't get the venom towards YTers.

N8DAH, KF8IV, N4AAT and 4 others like this.
  11. N4CAX

N4CAX Ham Member QRZ Page

There should be some way to filter out what comes up on the qrz front page. I get tired of seeing the dude always making some stupid face like he needs to take a crap. :D

DG7AC, KB2HSH, NN4RH and 6 others like this.
  12. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Jealous much!

K2TY and KD5BVX like this.
  13. G7DAZ

This i agree with.....FOR FREE....and not for monetry gain !!

I've met the "new generation" and most of them can't spell, can't string a sentence together, can't write a letter (using a pen and paper) and can't have a conversation without having a mobile phone stuck to their ear, can't think for themselves without having to get someone else's opinion or a "like" or some other attention seeking response via your "social media" :rolleyes:

KA2FIR, 2E0HVK, WJ1MK and 1 other person like this.
  14. KN6NWZ

I'm a new ham part of the social media generation and I can absolutely spell, string a sentence together, write letters with a pen and paper and have plenty of conversations without a mobile phone stuck to my ear. In fact, I had one yesterday with a radio in front of me. And I could care less if people like me but I do care about being respectful of others.

I get that hams by nature are community service oriented, I share that value. I think that's where some people get turned off by perceived monetary gain. I'm sure we're not going to come to an agreement about the merits of authors, programmers and content creators being rewarded for their efforts, either through incidental revenue or through social media recognition. They are doing a lot for the preservation and growth of the hobby with their time and skills.

KF8IV, KC5HWB and KF7WIS like this.
  15. G7DAZ

i did say "MOST" ....i admire that you're an exception to my generalisation which was about FB, Twitter etc. etc. i.e. social media; not Ham Radio (i didn't mention Ham Radio)

not perceived at all; he DOES make money from his YT channel and i for one have nothing against this whatsoever....my beef (and some others on the Zed) is the FRONT PAGE SPAMMING.....he knows where the VIDEO SECTION is....he just CHOOSES to completely ignore it and purposefully chooses to PUT it on THE FRONT PAGE !!

I'd like to agree with you (nothing personal) but in the case of the OP he knows what he's doing, i think he posts on the front page just to piss people off....YMMV

KA2FIR and 2E0HVK like this.