ad: Sussex-1

HT Antenna Comparison - Signal Stick, Diamond SRH770S and Abbree

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Mar 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

In this video I compare three antennas to see which one, if any, out performs the others. I will be comparing the Signal Stick from Signal Stuff, Diamond SRH770S and the Abbree "Tactical" Antenna. I travel 1/2 mile, 1mile, 2 miles and 5 miles from my home. I also have a QSO with 2 others in the area. The Radios used were the Wouxun KG-UV8E for receive, and I transmitted on the Yaesu FT-70.

KB7THL, AF5SB, KO4NCD and 6 others like this.
  2. N6DAI

N6DAI Ham Member QRZ Page

I watched it. Good video. Thanks for sharing your results.

KC5HWB and WJ6F like this.
  3. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for watching!

KC5HWB likes this.
  4. N6JPG

N6JPG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting comparison. Thank you. Of course, height always wins but I still think I'll try one of the Abree's just for fun. I'll just have to be careful not to poke someone's eye out with it.

WJ6F likes this.
  5. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Abree...very disappointing in a light breeze. It's like trying to hold a tape measure up in the air, just folds over with the slightest wind. In the trash it went.

AJ6KZ, 2E0TWD and KR3DX like this.
  6. N6JPG

At least its cheap.

WJ6F likes this.
  7. KT4RAM

KT4RAM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good video brother. Thanks for sharing the tests and results.
    Always good to hear from a fellow traveler.

WJ6F likes this.
  8. N6VL

N6VL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The video doesn't state which band was used in the test. 2m or 70cm?

WJ6F likes this.
  9. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting video, I thought the Diamond would be your winner, but have to say I think the Abree edged it. 73. P.S. beautiful country and excellent picture quality outdoors.

AJ4LN and WJ6F like this.
  10. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Yep we are a society that would rather have cheap instead of quality. I'm so tired of hearing "well for the price it's good enough". No it's not. At least it didn't take much room in the trash.

K1TDB, K7SKE, KK5JK and 3 others like this.
  11. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

My apologies for that. It was 2m that was used. The QSO was on 146.52.

KC5HWB, AJ6KZ, AJ4LN and 1 other person like this.
  12. KN6NWZ

KN6NWZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The Abbree is tacticool but the signal stick is made in America and the purchases fund hamstudy.org which is an amazing study tool for the ham exams.

KD6URO, DM5KA and N7EKU like this.
  13. KI4POT

KI4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've used a Signal Stick on my HT to make contacts for SOTA in the Appalachian Mtns. I think my longest contact was 50-odd miles (from W4V/SH-009 to Charlottesville, VA). Another member here, KE8OKM, also used one on summits from Skyline Drive. I could pick him up from my home about 40 miles away, but couldn't quite copy him fully. However, he made contacts, so others obviously could. Made In America, and support for HamStudy are two more reasons to buy a proven performer.

Chris

KN6NWZ likes this.
  14. N6JPG

OK. Just took delivery of the 28" Abree. Night and day from the Diamond SRH77CA that was on my Yaesu handheld. Did a quick check with a friend through my local 2m repeater (about 13 miles away and through the local foothills). He said I was about 50% into the repeater with the Diamond and was full quieting with the Abree all while sitting inside my house. I noticed as well that the repeater was about S-5 on receive with the Diamond and 10 over 9 with the Abree. And flimsy? No, not at all. It wavered a bit when I first unpacked and unfolded it but it soon stayed straight and shaking it about on top of the radio it remained fully upright. A tiny bit ungainly at 28" but for about $17, you won't find a better antenna.

W4VTP likes this.
  15. KO4NCD

KO4NCD Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoyed the video and since I own two Abbree 28” antennas as well as a couple others that go with my TYT UV-8000. One is very similar to the Signal Stick and another is a telescoping one that works much better than I had anticipated even for Tx. Living in Orlando, the terrain is flat with many obstructions. I seem to use more 70cm repeaters at times and I wonder how the same ones would fare in a different environment and different frequencies.