ad: Halibut-1

Progressive Changes at the ARRL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Feb 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

W5UAA is entitled to his opinion, but its 100% explicit in his Zed bio that "equality" means "communist". Go have a look.

Dave, not all who seek 'equality' are communists. Some of us are appreciative that INDIVIDUALS are equal in their OPPORTUNITY--or should be. Throwing artificial barriers on the individual is how some, including myself, see it= tragic. Merit, talent, achievement count. I'm not going to wear stilts while my near Celtics neighbor is going to get his ankles chopped to make us "equal". Jeez, this thread is sounding like a Vonnegutt short story....

SO let's stop this discussion and keep it elsewhere. But the Part 97 test pool is not going communist.

Thanks.

2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I definitely support the ARRL, however I also disagree with many of the Boards actions over the years.

W1YW likes this.
  3. NN5AA

NN5AA Ham Member QRZ Page

I know you said "equality". Is that the word you meant to say, or was it "equity" ?

Are you speaking of "equality of outcomes" versus "equality of opportunities" ?

Am I correct in inferring that your of the opinion that the Amateur Radio license question pools are going to get even easier than they are now, so that "outcomes" are even more inclusive, basically a lowering of the bar even more for prospective licensees ?

73, NN5AA - Now Need 5 Additional Acres

4. WW5F

WW5F Ham Member QRZ Page

The same words means different things to different people. The rate of "semantic change" has never been faster than it is today thanks to the current information revolution. Language and culture are intertwined. Change the language and you change the culture. And because of this advanced rate of semantic change today, we are accelerating the natural cycle and outcome of human nature. Human nature is constant. Cultural evolution is constant. And human nature always finds a way to break through the behavioral, cultural, social and religious boundaries currently constructed.

Look at history.

All I'm really saying is this "out of the blue" public notice from the FCC is one of these instants. Nobody of importance is paying any attention to it right now because it seems innocuous. Anybody who says anything negative about it is called a crazy conspiracy theorist. My guess is we'll get another VEC or two and that'll happen without incident, too. We may or may not see news articles on what may be a squabble over one of the next question pools. The next question pool will come out and by then, it'll be too late to do anything about it other than complain about where the future of amateur radio licensing is heading based on this new question pool. This is how "progress" is made.

Look at the history of amateur radio licensing.

(Yes, it really is breath taking.)

WN1MB likes this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

He appears to mean that the question pool will become an indoctrination process for "equality"....

Again, Guy is welcome to his opinion. But he is quite clear about how he means "equality", as from his Zed bio:

"Looks like the communists have won. Given the support from the news media and the judicial branch this last election, and the fact that only 20 state AG's have written letters objecting to some of the bills passing through congress right now, it looks like we've already gone over the cliff. The current administration is going ahead full speed and know they only have the current two year election cycle to firm up centralizing all power and control into the hands of the communist democrats in Washington DC. We may achieve "equality" like Venezuela has achieved "equality" within the next 5 or 10 year."

K7JEM likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Guy,

You would be much better understood if you clarified by what you mean as "equality" with the Part 97 test question pool.

Your definition of "equality" elsewhere on the Zed (on your bio page) can only be interpreted such that you expect the Part 97 question pool in the future to reflect tenets of socio-communism. If that is not what you mean, it really is up to you to say what you mean--explicitly.

Chip W1YW

7. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

He'll let you know when Q clues him in.
    [​IMG]

W0AEW likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think your comment is unfair and unreasonable.

Guy obviously has concerns about political directions for the US. That is his right to express. The problem is invoking inference rather than specifying direct meaning.

The Part 97 question pool has to do with radio and operating practices. It will remain that way.

Chip W1YW

9. WW5F

WW5F Ham Member QRZ Page

You keep asking me what that word means to me. It doesn't matter what my definition of that word is. It doesn't matter what your definition of that word is. What matters is what people coming of age learn what the definition of that word is.

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com...ces/useful-information/understanding-equality

Warning: we are now drifting into a subject area that is discouraged in these forums. Read Marx, Rousseau and Engels. Then compare what they said back then to what you see in the news today. These philosophers are not taught in schools any more. And for a very good reason by the self-anointed. The founding of this nation was based on a different belief on where rights come from and what equality means because of semantic drift today.

That's it. I may have said too much. I expect to be cancelled now. Truth is a dangerous thing to more and more people these days.

I'll suggest one more time, let's drop it and see what happens to the question pools. We'll have plenty of pointless bickering opportunity then.

SK... please...

WN1MB likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That's fine. I just want you to understand what the Part 97 question pools 'test' on. Social and political ideology is not it.

Wishing you the best.

Chip W1YW

11. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

What specifically do you think will happen to the question pools? I am not understanding your fixation with the questions, they are maintained by the QPC, which is a subset of the NCVEC. This is directed by FCC rules. I wouldn't expect to see any drastic change in the questions from one era to the next, the pools can only be changed every 4 years.

http://www.ncvec.org/page.php?id=338

12. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

*deleted*

13. KD7LX

KD7LX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How's the view up there on the cross?

N4AAB and WD4ELG like this.
  14. KS4TD

KS4TD Ham Member QRZ Page

I was first licensed as a "no-code" Tech in November 1997. Almost immediately after receiving my initial callsign, I was called to my face, by some crusty old man who was around when Jesus invented b0th dirt and radio, an "appliance operator". Fast forward a few decades and here I am, an Extra class appliance operator who still enjoys amateur radio ... and I still don't know CW yet ... and I haven't killed the hobby, much to some people's chagrin. I still love to ragchew and work digital modes like Olivia and Feld Hell. My tastes in amateur radio have changed a bit over the years because of new technology — or, sometimes, old technology — I discover along the way. Now that I'm medically retired I'm starting to teach myself CW because when I started in amateur radio, I had no interest in CW. Over the years, my tastes have changed and I'd love to use CW even if I can't send or receive quickly.

If I may, a bit (or a dit, maybe a dash) of advice: ignore what everyone else says about amateur radio and do what you like and are interested in. I've been a member of the ARRL off and on for years and the ARRL has helped me a lot in many ways, technical or non-technical. Go out and experience amateur radio for yourself. Some so-called ham that's been in the hobby for 50 years talking crap about you? Turn your VFO knob or walk away. Don't let malcontents in the hobby spoil it for you.

You will see many complain about the ARRL on QRZ but, when pressed, refuse to do anything to make the ARRL better or, by golly, start their own organization with their own beliefs and standards they want to see for amateur radio.

I wish you the best with your new hobby. Amateur radio has been a good friend and a hobby for me over the years and I am sure it will be the same for you.

Sean KS4TD
    "It's not the class of the license but the class of the operator that counts."

AC0GT, AG5DB, K1XS and 7 others like this.
  15. KX2L

KX2L Ham Member QRZ Page

The word progressive to me usually has bad vibes. Been a ham over 40 years. So many things the ARRL has twisted and supported that I don't. Been an ARRL member off and on. I think I will let my ARRL membship expire again.

ND6M likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.