ad: portazero-1

14 Common Phone Mistakes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Mar 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I disagree with their portrayal in #10 as a mistake.

On AM, where this courtesy prevails, people in a roundtable will sometimes forget who's next. By the time they realize it might not be their turn, they un-key and check whether in fact, someone else has already begun transmitting. This saves several minutes, on average, of two stations talking at once.

The courtesy of "let me see if I am doubling with someone," also is offered when a roundtable is only loosely structured; i.e. when there is no rigid taking of turns. The chance is far higher of doubling with someone, and it's polite to keep that in mind, and unkey to defer to the other guy.

2. N4MXZ

N4MXZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Norway 4 Mexico Xray Zimbabwe :D

3. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Double U 7 Triple U?:rolleyes:

AK5B, N4MXZ and W7UUU like this.
  4. W2BDN

W2BDN Ham Member QRZ Page

W2BDN for ID.:)

5. K8EEI

K8EEI Ham Member QRZ Page

4ID ? That's Philippines

AK5B, N4MXZ and N0TZU like this.
  6. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

Phone mistakes:
    -Butt Dialing
    -Drunk Texting
    -Hanging up on your girlfriend
    -Autocorrect

and the list goes on...

AK5B and N4MXZ like this.
  7. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why Allow Eight Fat Old Zombies?

AK5B, N0TZU and AG6QR like this.
  8. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's great as a mnemonic, lousy as phonetics.

A mnemonic is to address the problem of remembering a callsign. It needs to be memorable, so it's always original, nonstandard, and ideally a bit humorous.

Phonetics are to address the problem of understandability on a potentially noisy channel. It's best if it's standard, clear, and unambiguous. "Why" is a particularly bad word to use for a phonetic, because it sounds too much like "Y".

There are good reasons to use both of them. They aren't often interchangable, though.

AK5B and WA8FOZ like this.
  9. NM9K

NM9K Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm glad the bulk of you covered it.

As soon as he said "Queen Sugar," I turned it off.

AK5B likes this.
  10. F1RAF

F1RAF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    AK5B, WA8FOZ, K0UO and 1 other person like this.
  11. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. Two people can listen but if they let up at the same time thinking it is their turn, doubling can still happen.

12. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I got chastised by my fifth grade teacher when she asked me to spell something out loud and I used phonetics. I grew up surrounded by fighter pilots and practically lived at the airport so it just came naturally. She gave me a hard time the rest of the year and she is the reason I challenge authority and have little time for opinionated women.

13. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, phone autocorrect and a minute too late to edit my post! I meant to say:

Two people can listen but if they key up at the same time thinking it is their turn, doubling can still happen.
    Reminds me of my old phone I had in my jeans pocket. It kept sending a quick message of "In a meeting" to my most recent contact, my neighbor. I had no idea it was going on until he finally called and asked what my problem was. LOL

14. KE8QEP

KE8QEP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What is with this place?

K7JEM and KQ8W like this.
  15. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

It sometimes has a sense of humor absent SJW norms. Of course it will be reported over and over and silenced which works to benefit the backlash that's soon to come. How do they say, be careful what you ask for as you just may get it?

WD4IGX likes this.