ad: QSLWorks-1

14 Common Phone Mistakes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Mar 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Whatever works :)

I listen to the station I'm wanting to call and WAIT to hear how he prefers to pronounce "U".... some stations like "United" and some like "Uniform" so I just usually wait to hear how they do it.

Other times I just blurt out the letters "UUU" and see what happens.

Whatever works :)

I'm not landing an airplane, after all :)

Dave
    W7UUU

NL7W and N0TZU like this.
  2. KN4USA

KN4USA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The number one thing that should be on the list is Phonetics....

3. KN4USA

KN4USA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So you have not listed any mistakes, just things you don't agree with. ANd some of the info you have given isn't even what is taught.

The term “QSL” comes from the international Q code and means “I confirm receipt of your transmission” If it is asked at the end of a transmission it is change to "Do you confirm receipt of my transmission?" If you are the folks trying to Elmer newer folks, the hobby is in big trouble. The overall theme comes off as. "Get off my ham band" Just a couple of grumpy men.

AK5B and K5MUG like this.
  4. AK5CT

AK5CT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Someone said earlier in the thread that all professional radio systems have a standard alphabet. I have a funny story along that line.

Although a banker by trade, I worked part time as a Deputy with the local Sheriff's Department for over 25 years. As the writer mentioned, we had our own standard phonetic alphabet. However, the Natchez Trace Parkway runs through our county and the Trace Rangers and their Dispatcher use the NATO/Federal alphabet. Some nights they would not have a unit on duty in our area and the Trace Dispatcher would contact me, and ask me to take a call on the Trace - I would handle it or see if a Ranger was needed. One night she gave me a call about an abandoned vehicle in the roadway. I found the car, with a tag number (which to me was T-Tom, S-Sam, N-Nora, 1,2,3) . So, being nice, when I called her back, I said the plate is Tango, Sierra, November, 1, 2, 3. There was a long pause, then a slow dry response of, "Wow, I did not know you could speak a foreign language."

That was actually before I became a Ham (licensed 2014), but I knew the NATO phonetics from SWLing, and other sources, so I had no problem adapting to Ham and I rarely mixed up between the two phonetic systems. What I did have to be very careful of - was the few times I would say 10-4, or 10-20, before I realized it. Well, you know what YOU guys think (and often say), when you hear 10-4, on the air. So, it did not take me long to make sure that did not happen again, even though it wasn't what you were thinking.

2014, over 6 years already, and still loving this hobby like it's new !!!

Curtis / AK5CT

W8DE, GM4JPZ, AK5B and 4 others like this.
  5. K4BH

K4BH Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually the current technician exam does ask what word list should be used. It is the ITU/ICAO word list. It acutally makes it easier to understand if the listener and sender are using the same words. So the callsign should be kilo 8 quebeck sierra.

6. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I love using the NATO phonetics, it makes me feel.....special...LOL. But OK with anything that works, even more so if its entertaining...

Kilo-Six-Mike-Tango-Sierra....Over and Out!

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, there is a song there...

AK5B, W0AQ, W0PV and 1 other person like this.
  8. K8HIT

K8HIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Codger is a much nicer form of curmudgeon.

9. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ha, You know you're (me too) an old codger when other guys have to look up the meaning of what we are.

AK5B, VK6APZ/SK2022 and VE6CLG like this.
  10. N1YR

N1YR Ham Member QRZ Page

And as I have pointed out before, "various nationalities with native speakers of different languages" are required by ICAO regulations to speak ENGLISH everywhere in the world when talking to or between aircraft for navigational purposes. There is no such rule for Radio Amateur transmissions.

So it can be argued that ICAO phonetics are meant for English speakers, not all DX.

The case of the JA copying Tokyo-Yokohama but not Tango-Yankee is only one example.

WD4IGX likes this.
  11. N9AMI

N9AMI Ham Member QRZ Page

Uh yes there are "proper phonetics" sir. That's Sierra India Romeo

W7IVK likes this.
  12. KE8HBV

KE8HBV Ham Member QRZ Page

most people use alt phonetics because they are much much easier especially in a contest

13. K8EEI

K8EEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Unwashed Union Uniform

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    WD4IGX and AK5B like this.
  14. K8EEI

K8EEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Whiskey 7 Triple U sounds pretty good .

15. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

That works quite often as well. But I never initiate it with DX stations. It's the DX stations in fact that most often come back with "triple U"

But I always leave it to the other station to decide

Either way, have the same letter three times does afford advantages: "The station with United - the station with United only please" happens a LOT!

Dave
    W7UUU

WD4IGX, AK5B, N0TZU and 1 other person like this.