ad: AbAuRe-1

14 Common Phone Mistakes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Mar 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Non conformists? I tend to agree sometimes it gets frustrating especially with weak signals. Ex Military and Aviators tend not to deviate from standard phonetics but many do wanting to personalize I guess or be funny.

WQ4G, AK5B and K0UO like this.
  2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought I saved it.
    (From the K3XR QRZ page)
    From time to time the use of phonetics, in ham radio, comes up as a topic on various forums.

The only thing you need to know about phonetics when it comes to ham radio.
    §97.119 Station identification. (in part says)
    (2) By a phone emission in the English language. Use of a phonetic alphabet as an aid for correct station identification is encouraged;

Not a "standard" phonetic alphabet and not a specific phonetic alphabet or one from the military, law enforcement, aviation, etc. It's your choice, including the aforementioned.

NL7W and AK5B like this.
  3. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Fun talk. I found my diction got much better after some practice with the mic. Certainly I did get better about not shouting out a lecture and having a steady cadence...too many folks still think the mic is enhanced by holding it too close and raising your voice. Also, The Complete DXer did have some good advice on sending phonetic callsigns, and I've found it works. If the station at the other end doesn't quite get your call, vary the words. So my "Kilo-Whiskey-Zero-Uniform" may turn into "Kennedy-Washington-Zero-United". Also, I use "niner" for "nine" (learned that in aviation) and it prevents confusion with "five." Small tweaks but they add up and make communication different from CW but still pretty effective under marginal conditions.

NL7W, N4GST, K3GTS and 3 others like this.
  4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The only thing you need to know about phonetics when it comes to ham radio.
    §97.119 Station identification. (in part says)
    (2) By a phone emission in the English language. Use of a phonetic alphabet as an aid for correct station identification is encouraged;
    [/QUOTE]
    But
    The
    United States does recognizes the
    International Radiotelephony Spelling Alphabet, commonly known as the NATO phonetic alphabet as the standard.
    It is

Used by
    International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)/ another Federal agency was adopted by many other international and national organizations, including the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), the International Maritime Organization (IMO), the United States Federal Government (as Federal Standard 1037C: Glossary of Telecommunications Terms,[3] and its successors ANSI T1.523-2001[4] and ATIS Telecom Glossary (ATIS-0100523.2019),[5] (using English spellings of Alfa and Juliett), the United States Department of Defense[6] (using standard spellings), the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), and the International Amateur Radio Union (IARU), the American Radio Relay League (ARRL), the Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials-International (APCO); and by many military organizations such as the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).
    If you have a US license are under Federal authorization
    So use the proper phonetic alphabet, I guarantee if I'm landing at a Federally controlled airport using my US pilot's license I need to use proper phonetics/ not something I made up.

So if you're using your license to handle traffic or for an emergency why wouldn't you use the International Phonetics? It is a Good idea to use them for the initial contact to.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    W7RY, N4GST and AK5B like this.
  5. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All of the professional radio services have a standard phonetic alphabet that is enforced. Those that work across various nationalities with native speakers of different languages (aviation, military, marine) use the ICAO/NATO/ITU phonetics. Local law enforcement varies, but you can bet that all the officers and the dispatchers on a particular force are consistently using the standard endorsed by their department.

If you've ever operated on a radio service that had standardized phonetics, you understand the value of standardization, even standardization on an imperfect alphabet. Everyone knows, understands and uses the same 26 words to represent letters, and everyone only has to learn 26 of them. There's no ambiguity. The words don't rhyme with other common words, and are easy to distinguish from one another. Airplanes reach their destinations safely in part because they all use consistent phonetics.

Enough about the professionals. There's a reason we're called "amateurs".

We don't have an authority that prescribes a particular phonetic alphabet. Everyone does their own thing, and nobody has a commanding officer to chew them out over improper radio procedures. Some like that, others hate it, but regardless, that's the way amateur radio is.

If you want to use ICAO/NATO/ITU phonetics, I'd encourage you to do so. I'll even join you. From my piloting days, that alphabet is etched in my brain, and those are the phonetics that come naturally. But you can't expect others to follow suit.

If I hear you using NATO phonetics, I'll be happy and identify as "Alpha Golf Six Quebec Romeo". Otherwise, I might just leave it to you to figure out "Are Gneiss six Quay Rights", (pronounced "our nice six key writes"). Don't worry, I'll repeat it until you get it.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    NL7W, N8PEM, N4GST and 6 others like this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

As well you should. When it comes to ham radio I comply with Part 97 of the FCC rules and regs. A "made-up" phonetic alphabet would be in 100% compliance.

As an aside could you imagine if the FCC required the use of a specific phonetic alphabet ? How much enforcement would that get? I guess it would come right after they clean up 75 meters, 40 meters, etc.

WD4IGX likes this.
  7. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This past weekend there was a big ARRL contest. Did anyone give or get a signal report other than 5-9-9? Actually, I gave one of those contest club stations an S-8. I suspect that it was recorded as a 5-9-9. I will be banished from the 5-9-9 contest club in the future...Oh Shame!!!!

73's corky

AK5B and WN1MB like this.
  8. KY4FN

KY4FN Guest

One of two phonetics questions in the current Tech pool cites using a "standard" phonetic alphabet. The only question in the General question pool on phonetics is about the NATO alphabet. So there's that.

K0UO likes this.
  9. N7FZ

N7FZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From the FCC, Part 97
    97.119, paragrah B, subsection 2.

"(2) By a phone emission in the English language. Use of a phonetic alphabet as an aid for correct station identification is encouraged;"

The operative word there is "encouraged". Frankly I prefer to use the NATO standard and do, Alpha, Charlie, Delta...... But, that is a personal preference. I have heard people use police Phonetic Alphabet, Adam, Boy, Charles, David..... It makes for great fun when someone is telling you their name and trying to spell it. Hahahaha..... I have even heard people use different words to identify the same letter that appears twice in their call sign.. I just say meh... whatever. I do not think it really matters as long as everyone understands it. If I know them well enough I razz them, if not I move on with the QSO. My two cents.

K3XR likes this.
  10. CA3FJK

CA3FJK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

good video. I agree with the content. Regarding to the phonetic alphabet discussion I could add that in my short experience most of the ones using weird words are generally OMs in rag chews, I hear it a lot using countries or Sugar, Salt, Pepper. I guess to each his own but when you are trying to get a DX station using Queen Sugar Sexy Radio, they will ignore you big time.

73s

N7FZ likes this.
  11. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, so we want to use phonetics that listeners will understand. I remember one of my Chicago ham friends in the 1960s used "Sweet Georgia Brown" for SGB. It worked well then, domestically, not internationally. Today it might not even work domestically. I had another friend who was a real rascal. He used "Oscar Zosker Sosker" for OZC so the FCC could not identify him.
    Quin, K8QS
    Subscribe to "Ham Radio Perspectives" YouTube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MJT8o8-XMxF8XROf7Q5GA/videos

N7FZ likes this.
  12. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, I used the ICAO alphabet when flying also. And when doing ARES activities. And usually when operating.

None of which precludes me from occasionally needing to use something else to get through to the brain of the other guy during casual or contest operating after trying ICAO a few times.

It’s a false dichotomy to think that either you’re a “professional” ham or you’re a slob lid. Do what needs to be done to communicate effectively, appropriate to the situation.

WD4IGX, N6TDG, N7FZ and 2 others like this.
  13. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

So this past weekend during the ARRL DX contest, I was listening to a station in the midwest trying to work a JA station. The US station call ended in TY ... no amount of sending "Tango Yankee" got through to the chap in Japan - but the second the US caller tried "Tokyo Yokohama" BAM he was in the JA log.

There certainly are times for "stick to the books" [landing an airplane!] but then there are times when "doing what works" is the best way [a HOBBY like ham radio!]

Dave
    W7UUU

AG5CK, K9UR, N6TDG and 7 others like this.
  14. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Xilófono Radio (Zee-lo-fono Rah-dio).

Works for me with Spanish speaking ops.

AK5B likes this.
  15. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Super example, Dave. What do you normally use for UUU?
    Quin