ad: elecraft

14 Common Phone Mistakes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Mar 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Quin (K8QS) and Tom (WA9TDD) identify 14 common mistakes ham radio operators make on phone (FM, SSB, AM) -- and what to do differently to maximize communication and boost intelligibility in amateur radio. Video from HAM RADIO PERSPECTIVES on YouTube.

Attached Files:

AA5BK, KI7KCW, N6SPP and 5 others like this.
  2. N1NDN

N1NDN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with most of these, they are quite common and really annoying sometimes! Another perspective is the use of proper phonetics. In the start of the video K8QS introduces himself as K8 "Queen" Sugar", although its an unwritten rule I believe, it should be "Sierra" "Quebec". Maybe somebody has more information on that.

2E0KLX, KN4AYP, KO4PGQ and 12 others like this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

There are no "PROPER PHONETICS" as it relates to ham radio. Nevermind. I'll give someone else a chance to explain.

NL7W, WD4IGX, AA8GK and 2 others like this.
  4. K8QS

I worked a guy in Belgium on 40 SSB and he called me "K8 Quite Sexy."
    Quin, K8QS
    Subscribe to "Ham Radio Perspectives" YouTube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MJT8o8-XMxF8XROf7Q5GA/videos

AA5BK, NL7W, AA8GK and 1 other person like this.
  5. K8QS

So what do you use for "XR"?

6. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not explain yourself? You're doing fine!

N4GST and N0TZU like this.
  7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought you were doing fine.

Please continue while I make some popcorn to eat when the phonetically obsessed people arrive.

2E0KLX, W4IOA, WQ4G and 6 others like this.
  8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

When you approach the "beat your head against the wall" stage it's time to stand back and let someone else pick up the ball.

NL7W, KA2FIR, N4GST and 4 others like this.
  9. K8QS

Hey, here is an idea: Tom and I could do a video on ham obsessions. What do you think? QS

W6RGS and WQ4G like this.
  10. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember, only you can beat your head against the wall. Also, it's rare for someone to change something they are passionate about. ;)

I can see how people want to interject personality into their call phonetics. I also understand that some may not translate well to DXers, so I adapt accordingly.

N6SPP, AK5B, KI5DNS and 1 other person like this.
  11. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I mostly use Xray Radio. K2XR, Dave who I've met a few times and lives not far from me likes to use X Rated. It's an attention-getter in a contest.

AK5B and KI5DNS like this.
  12. K8QS

Roger, dodger, you old codger. Q

NL7W likes this.
  13. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha! I had to lookup "codger". New word of the day, thanks!

N4GST and K3XR like this.
  14. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok, joking aside, yes it’s generally a good practice to use standard NATO/ICAO phonetics. But sometimes the other station just can’t understand so we resort to something else easier to distinguish with more syllables and consonants (I occasionally need to use Zanzibar instead of Zulu, for example). Or when just having fun on a ragchew or whatever. There is no required phonetic alphabet for amateur radio as K3XR said.

NL7W, WD4IGX, N6TDG and 5 others like this.
  15. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Actually they both are kind of sort of correct. At the bottom of the page is phonetic alphabets from WWI on... https://drainfast.co.uk/blog/phonetic-alphabet/?SID=d58733beee562a8cacd80b4ad050f284