ad: Schulman-1

ARRL VHF Contests and FT-8

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by N3AWS, Mar 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N3AWS

N3AWS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I spent some time reading the Soapboxes of recent ARRL VHF and up contests and noticed quite a few participants were commenting on FT-8 changing the dynamics in a way that many found harmful. According to them, the rise in FT-8 was resulting in many ops simply staying on six and two and never listening for CW or SSB. These were mostly ops that had invested in large, multi band stations and who specialized in moving stations and running the bands. As higher frequencies result in more points per QSO as well as additional multipliers, this was reducing their scores. Some multi band rovers were also complaining.

Do you feel this is a legitimate complaint or not? Will you modify your methods of operating due to this?

Jim N3AWS

2. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

My typical contest "methods of operating" is: I Don't.
    I do not use "CW" and really don't enjoy SSB, especially with my tiny underpowered station.
    I work 99% digital modes and don't really care about points or online confirmations. I sometimes play during the VHF Contest because of the increased activity! Of course I'm not interested in the points but I submit to be polite for others.
    I have FM on the 'rare' 220, 900, & 1200 bands so I'd listen on simplex there (because I never hear people there otherwise) and stick to FT8 on 144 & 440 for the increased distance.

N3AWS likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

So why then troll this thread, aptly placed in the 'Contests' forum and specifically asking how users perceive FT8 vs. CW/SSB in VHF contests?

The forum the OP used is specifically aimed at those who partake in radio contesting - it's not a dumping ground for "contest haters"

Please be reminded that blatant trolling is against the QRZ Code of Conduct

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    N7ANN, KP4SX, W7EDC and 1 other person like this.
  4. N3AWS

Not to be argumentative, but the sentiments KY1K expressed were also well represented in the Soapbox comments I referred to. As a primarily digital operator on VHF, he gravitates to the activity and that translates into contests. This is one of three groups I noticed.

The second is those who feel that when activity picks up, they will switch from FT-8 to CW/SSB because the rates are higher and QSOs can be moved to other bands easily.

The third group reminds me of the pack rovers. They want to move as many stations as possible to as many bands as possible to maximize their scores which is fine. But some expressly said that FT-8 QSOs should be excluded (perhaps to have their own contests).

I’d like to see some discussion by all involved.

Jim N3AWS

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I think you misread his post - he simply said he doesn't do contests. Period. Not CW, not SSB, not FT8

So why bother posting?

But I'll stay out of it :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN and N3AWS like this.
  6. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sorry I wasn't clearer. I might be active on FT8 during the contest, but it is activity that would NOT be happening in another mode. It's not moving from CW/SSB. It's new added activity.

If I was going to be a blatant troll, I would have said that all contests are dumb and FT8 killing it is a good thing.

W2JLD, ND6M and N3AWS like this.
  7. N3AWS

Frankly, I appreciate any and all activity in these contests!

But sometimes changes meet resistance. Silly arguments over issues like this have caused the number of participants to fall off quite a bit in years past.

I hope by discussion we can avoid that!

73!

8. K1XH

K1XH Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it might start to level the playing field.
    It allows smaller stations to be more competitive.
    It also allows for much more weak signal activity that might not normally occur.

N3AWS likes this.
  9. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's exactly what the big gun stations are worried about, especially on HF.

I don't do a lot of contesting above HF, but when I have, there just wasn't all that much activity. If FT8 adds activity that otherwise wouldn't exist, why the heck not?

N3AWS likes this.
  10. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

aaaaah ,,, CONTESTING!

B.Secret to Bavarian contesting1.jpg

A.Man Falls Asleep During PSK Contest; Macros Complete 78 QSOs1.jpg

CONTEST NERDS
    B.CONTEST NERDS.JPG

B.Eat sleep contest.jpg

MAN EMERGES FROM SHACK AFTER CONTEST SEASON TO FIND WIFE GONE
    B.Man emerges from shack after contest season 2 find wife gone.gif

MAN DEPRESSED MONTHS AFTER CONTEST ENDS!
    B.Man depressed months after contest ends.gif

---Layne AE1N

11. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

i agree, i thought trolling was ONLY DONE ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER.........funny how people want to comment on mode that they do not even take part in or comment on stuff they know nothing about.

while being in this hobby and learned a lot so far...but i think what ive learned the most is about people...............what ive learned about people has filled more than what ive leanred about this hobby.

before people get into this hobby they need to go to qrz and read some of the threads and how people act and treat one another and after reading some of these threads one would have to ask one's self ...why in god's name would i want to get involved in this hobby?

this is not your granfather's hobby anymore

KI4POT likes this.
  12. KI4POT

KI4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nah, don't go to QRZ or any other forum first. Get on the air first. Most hams on the air are much more positive and friendly than a select few on QRZ. QRZ is not representative of amateur radio (but it is representative of the Internet).

Chris

AK7AN and KE8QEP like this.
  13. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Glory to FT8!