ad: QSLWorks-1

Progressive Changes at the ARRL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Feb 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

If ARRL wasn't damaged by the pandemic, they should pay it back, otherwise, they're profiting at the tax payers expense.

I'm not eligible for covid payments as an individual taxpayer, but if I were, I'd consider it a welcome tax rebate.

Not so, for an undamaged "charity" which suffered no financial harm, and let's be honest, it's easy to be "charitable" with someone else's money.

It's an undeserved windfall for many businesses, but as a longstanding member of ARRL I believe a decision to keep the money is somewhat sleazy.

That's my opinion and everyone is welcome to his/her own opinion.

YMMV.

WN1MB likes this.
  2. KM4FVI

KM4FVI Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope you’re feeling better Tom!

3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know it all.

But I do know that Hiram Percy Maxim died in 1936, and that any patents he held expired decades ago. So his estate isn't funding the ARRL.

I also know that it costs millions to run an organization the size of the League. What you see in QST is only the tip of the iceberg.

I've been to Hq, done the tour, operated W1AW. I know the Newington/Hartford area - today, not 20-30-60 years ago.

If someone can do a better job, they can start their own organization.

W1YW and KA0HCP like this.
  4. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

YES CARL,

WAYNE IS SORELY MISSED
    AND
    WE CAN CARRY ON HIS MISSION

WE MUST ALL REMEMBER AND THAT INCLUDES ME.
    NO BALL BUSTING SMALL NEW.jpg

AND TO

_CALM_AND_TAP_OUT_MORSE_CODE_NEW.jpg

K1LKP SOCIAL SMILING JUNE 2020 WITH CHICKEN SMALL.jpg

KM1H and W1YW like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Overall,

I think the ARRL is doing pretty well. I like the idea they are being forward looking. They weren't always.

N0TZU and K1LKP like this.
  6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I’ll drink to that! (...tea).

W1YW likes this.
  7. K1LKP

8. N2EY

Why?

Ol' Never Say Die was the kind of person who never let facts or logic get in the way of what he wanted to say or do. Particularly if it sold his magazines.

He was "mostly harmless" as long as he wasn't taken seriously.

I seem to recall that he started an organization - some sort of "Foundation for Amateur Radio" or some such - but it never went anywhere, did much of anything and quietly faded away.

Thanks for the link.

How much money does ARRL get from Maxim's patents?

9. KC5NOA

KC5NOA Ham Member QRZ Page

That is what I did!

10. K1LKP

HI JIM,

GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU ONCE AGAIN.

WAYNE GREEN JUNE 2020.jpg
    THE USS DRUM HAD AN OUTSTANDING WAR RECORD DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Drum_(SS-228)

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/qst/navy-trains-radio-technicians-nov-1942-qst.htm

WAYNE GREEN VIDEO.jpg

JIM,

I SERVED AS A RADIOMAN ON AN OLE WW 2 DIESEL SNORKEL SUBMARINE BACK IN 1961 TO 65.

I SERVED WITH GREAT PRIDE ALONG SIDE MY FELLOW SUBMARINERS

HERE IS A PIX OF ME ON THE TIGRONE AT THE ESCAPE BOUY MESSENGER.

K1LKP AT Escape_Buoy.jpg

IT MUST BE NOSTALGIA REGARDING W2NSD - WAYNE GREEN.

JIM, LET ME WISH YOU A SOON TO BE HAPPI BDAY.

I TURN 77 IN APRIL AND I KNOW THAT I WILL BE TEN YEARS YOUR
    SENIOR IN APRIL.

WE COME FROM A DIFFERENT ERA IN HAM RADIO.

I GOT THIS CALL BACK IN JULY OF 1959 AS A NOVICE - KN1LKP

KN1LKP_1959.jpg

How much money does ARRL get from Maxim's patents?

THE ANSWER IS BURIED DEEP INSIDE HERE

TREASURE CHEST.jpg

OAK ISLAND IS A TREASURE HUNT ON THE HISTORY CHANNEL
    AND THOSE FOLKS HAVE BEEN WORKING LIKE DOGS FOR MANY YEARS
    TO GET THEIR HANDS ON THE TREASURE.

AND

WE ARE ALL WORKING LIKE DOGS TO FIND OUT THE
    RICHES OF THE ARRL.

ITS HUMAN NATURE .........

73 ES HAVE A FUN FILLED WEEKEND.

K1LKP SOCIAL SMILING JUNE 2020 SMALL.jpg

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2474900/goodbye-wayne-green--and-thanks-for-the-memories.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Green

http://www.arrl.org/news/ham-radio-publications-pioneer-visionary-iconoclast-wayne-green-w2nsd-sk

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2532177/tech-visionary-wayne-green--still-on-a-mission.html

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/wayne-green-w2nsd-sk.405618/

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think some folks are confused about HPM.

There was HIRAM MAXIM ('father')

and...

HIRAM PERCY MAXIM ('son')

HPM was a minor inventor who had success with mufflers and the 'Maxim Silencer'. His big passions were ham radio, film making, cars,and writing. His writing resulted in a screenplay that was pretty well known in its day (you can dig out that trivia). HPM was an enthusiast who actually made things happen.

HM ('Hiram') was a 'Maine'iac who deserted his wife and child and became SIR HIRAM Maxim in England. He was a major inventor , best known for the machine gun, which basically enabled WWI o_O . Less known is his profound mechanical skills and the invention of the STEAM POWERED PLANE, which more accurate JUMPED rather than FLEW before it crash landed.

HM was wealthy from his patents.

Folks understandably confuse the two and thus assume that HPM was a very wealthy man. That was actually his father. HPM was 'well off' but not nearly as wealthy as his father.

I do not know if HPM and HM had a 'normal' father son relationship beyond HPM's childhood years. My recollection is 'no'.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    W1BR, N2EY and K1LKP like this.
  12. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

You have been fussing about Wayne just about every time he is mentioned on here and its getting old, stale and boring so stop it please. You didnt really know him and the many things he did to foster ham radio even before 73 Magazine.
    It was nice to see Chip give you a history lesson on the Maxims, that must smart ....Mr Know It All....

W1BR likes this.
  13. N2EY

Not me. I know the history quite well.

Agreed. Success enough to have financial security, anyway.

Weren't there Gatling guns as far back as the Civil War?

In any event, the father did indeed invent the "Maxim gun", which was more portable and, as you note, made WW1 far more deadly. And got very rich from it and other inventions.

All true. Of course the patents held by the father expired a century ago if not more.

Also, the father's name is usually shown as Hiram Stevens Maxim.

Exactly. More to the point, the ARRL does not have oodles of money from the Maxim inventions/patents.

Well he did write a book about his childhood....

HPM was a devoted husband and father, according to all who knew him. Far ahead of his time in many ways.

It should be remembered that HPM's wife, Josephine (Hamilton) Maxim, was instrumental in the advancement of Amateur Radio. Although not an amateur herself, she was fluent in French and accompanied HPM to the World Radio Conferences in Paris in the 1920s, where HPM and others pushed for the recognition of Amateur Radio as a separate radio service, with its own bands and rules, protected by international treaty. The effort succeeded in 1927, when the treaty signed that year set up Amateur Radio by international law.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    W1YW likes this.
  14. KL7SB

KL7SB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For what it is worth, if they legitimately qualified for the PPP Loan (and I have little doubt that they did) and qualify for the forgiveness, they are not only correct in taking it, but also have a fiduciary responsibility to do so. We already forget, but *every* business/organization was sweating cash liquidity at the time, and other than those selling Protective equipment, everyone had at least some revenue drop. In some cases it turned out to be temporary, but there was no way to know at the time. There were defined circumstances to use the money (mostly Payroll) and I'm sure that was followed. Remember, this was part of a economic stimulus package. No point in arguing the politics here, but bottom line is a lot of us got through the pandemic without financial ruin, because this money was out there and circulating.

N4QX, W0PV, W1YW and 1 other person like this.
  15. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, Once you take the morality of it out of the equation. Wall St. does the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.