ad: portazero-1

Progressive Changes at the ARRL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Feb 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. Instead of directing one's ire at the legally qualified recipients of such loans, direct it at the often infamous authors of the legislation: the United States Congress critters in "service" when the law was written.

And don't get me wrong here. I'm no fan of seemingly healthy businesses in line at the government trough filled with hard working taxpayer's dollars.

NN4RH and N0TZU like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not suggesting anything other than the ARRL is doing the proper and qualified actions with regard to a PPP. That is not news.

3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

One can be amazed at someone’s actions or comments without dismissing them.

Their’s nothing in that lineup to suggest a political meaning. The reader is “reading it in”.

WN1MB and NN4RH like this.
  4. KE8QEP

KE8QEP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you go back to the first post "
    ICQPodcast Episode 345

In this episode, Martin (M1MRB) is joined by Leslie Butterfield G0CIB, Dan Romanchik KB6NU and Edmund Spicer M0MNG to discuss the latest Amateur / Ham Radio news. Colin (M6BOY) rounds up the news in brief and in this episode’s features is in an interview with ARRL David Minster NA2AA, and the President, Rick Roderick K5UR as they discuss changes for the ARRL with Frank Howell K4FMH.

5. KE8QEP

Blame them for what?

6. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not being American, I don't know what the "PPP loans" are. I'm assuming that they are government loans intended to help businesses that are finding their finances damaged by the pandemic - in which case the question becomes one of how much damage the ARRL has suffered? I find it hard to see how it has suffered any damage really. It is a service organisation with little face-to-face interaction with the public, so the pandemic restrictions should have had little impact on its running costs or income. It may even end up benefiting if the enforced restrictions on movement result in new hams becoming licenced. Round here, there have been several high profile businesses who initially took up government loans and grants and then gave them back despite the fact that they were entitled to them on the basis that the pandemic had not impacted on their profits. Why? Well, it was fantastic publicity - "Look at us, the country is in crisis and we are not taking public money - unlike our competitor Acme Superstores over there!"

Martin

K3XR and N8ZI like this.
  7. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

So the everybody's doing excuse?

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

OK; I'm game.

How are these "progressive changes'? What are those 'progressive changes'?

Progressing to.... WHAT?

What is the plan, for which CHANGES of 'progress' have been deemed?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  9. KE8QEP

They are perceived to be moving ahead/forward.

K4FMH likes this.
  10. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly, nothing has actually happened yet. Worth keeping an eye on, but it also could be just blowing smoke sort of thing.

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nonsense. You didn't answer the questions. You just felt the need to respond.

Nah. Not interested. Will put you on the ignore list. Thanks.

Yep. Done. Easy peezy.

12. KE8QEP

I tried to answer your question, and I certainly didn't mean to antagonize you, if I did I apologize.

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here are some of the changes happening at the ARRL...

1) Spectrum defense is not supporting the prior version of the 'agreement' with the HOA association. Who knows where that will go.
    2) A better web presence has been planned for years, with no tangible outcome. Not clear if there is any measurable progress on this, but a LOT of money has ben spent with no results to speak of.
    3) The dccline in published media (read: mashed trees) has had an effect and forecasts towards reduced published media are being considered
    4) the rapidly aging demographic has pushed full steam on any useful means to attract young people to ham radio and the ARRL.

Not sure what measured 'progress' there is on these fronts.

What we ARE seeing is an ad-hoc but very key 'mission statement' that the ARRL is there to enhance the experience and enjoyment of ham radio. Huzzah to that!

14. KM4FVI

KM4FVI Ham Member QRZ Page

And you know it all....Mr Know It All....

Please enlighten us with you wisdom!!!!!

W1BR and WN1MB like this.
  15. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Several committees have been formed to study the situation at least to their next elections. Business as usual.:rolleyes:

Wayne Green is sorely missed and no one is carrying on his mission.

K0UO likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.