ad: QSLWorks-1

Most Used Frequencies for Summits on the Air Activations

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NJ7V, Feb 26, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it relates to many because of contesters thinking any frequency in use or not they are good to go. The one I heard yesterday ignored calls from net control but made contact with an operator on the net when called directly, he was told it was a net but didn't seem to care. Still kept calling CQ even after was told. Some just want to see the world burn as long as its not at their expense.
    I tend to think many involved in these acronym fads forget that decades ago hams operated portable, at parks and at summits. They didn't need to make a big deal over it. Didn't feel the need to be an "influencer" Now that the SOTA/POTA acronym is popular on youtube it attracts flies like its some big deal though there really isn't anything new under the sun.
    Thinking of doing a video on maritime mobile and calling myself an MM operator. In time it will keep the coastguard busy on the weekends at least.

K0UO and NJ7V like this.
  2. NJ7V

NJ7V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hahahaha valid points! All of them. And have to say, it sounds like that SOTA dude was a douche based on your description - sadly. MM LOL! Thanks for the chuckle man!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    KB3JAE likes this.
  3. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Then he was just an ass. There are lots of them out there in every activity. He probably did some assholish things driving home too.

I've got a book on QRP operating from 2001ish that mentions mountain topping, operating from parks, etc. But I find the structure around SOTA/POTA keeps it from feeling so random and helps me develop some some goals. I have to give credit to those programs for reinvigorating my interest in radio. Aside from using my 2m HT while hunting or my mobile while driving to hunting camp, I seldom touched my radios. Covid got me looking at them again as something to occupy myself during our nasty early Spring last year when we were locked down. Finding SOTA (and later POTA) kept my interest up all year and continues on. It's a fun niche to the hobby and intersects with other things I'm already doing (hiking, biking, and being outdoors).

Do it. I have very little experience with boats and fewer yet operating radios from boats. It could be interesting seeing how that mode of operation differs from other mobile or portable environments (aside from the water).

Chris

K4LNW and N1RBD like this.
  4. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I may be mistaken, but it looks like you just drove to the summit, which seems to be outside the general rules: Operations must not be in, or in the close vicinity of, a motor vehicle.

Did I miss something?

5. KI4POT

Drive up summits are legal. They exist so activators who can't hike up can still participate.

It depends on your definition of "vicinity". I'm mostly a "hike in" activator, but there's one summit here in VA that is a drive up (no trails, just a poorly paved and curvy road) with a small parking area and a thin green strip of land around the parking lot before you hit the downward slope. The entirety of the flat land on that summit, parking lot included, is about 50' x 100'. My QRZ Profile pic is me doing an activation there. I'm about 5' from the parking lot.

So, is vicinity 10'? 100'? A quarter mile?

I interpret it as "not right next to your car" and not using power from your car.

ETA a pic of the summit I was referring to.
    rn.JPG

Chris

NJ6J, KA0HCP, W7UUU and 2 others like this.
  6. N1RBD

N1RBD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you the guy Doug sent the email out about? I may tag along.

7. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Most SOTA chaser's watch the spots on the SOTA web page to see what freq. they are using ! no matter what band ! or mode ! Phil KI6PMD ..

NJ7V, K9EZ and AJ6KZ like this.
  8. NJ7V

Yeah that must be me :). Great! Come along.

9. NJ7V

Yes. True! The listing was more for the benefit of the activators.

10. NJ7V

It's always been permitted to drive to the top of a summit. We used to hike out of the activation zone with our gear and then back in, after we had parked our vehicle, but that requirement has long since been removed. Straight from the rules it reads:

"Summits that are accessible by road can still be included in the programme, although operation from within vehicles or the near vicinity of activator’s vehicles is not permitted."
    "Operations must not be in, or in the close vicinity of, a motor vehicle. No part of the station may be connected in any way with the motor vehicle..."

This piece can be misleading because it implies what you are suggesting "...However, the use of a bike (non-motorized) or animals to enter the Activation Zone is permitted."

But this part was removed: “The method of final access to the Summit must be non-motorised”

I was a little unsure myself a while back, so I emailed one the the guys in charge and he confirmed that the rule was removed and drive-ups are permissible so long as you follow the other rules that are still in place regarding not using your vehicle once on top.

I would just add that few "eligible" peaks are like this. Almost all require some sort of hike. It's a nice reprieve to occasionally activate one of the drive-ups.

AJ6KZ likes this.
  11. W7MDN

W7MDN Ham Member QRZ Page

That looks awesome. I'd bring a lawn chair and a cooler and make a day of it. What a cool view.

NJ7V likes this.
  12. K7AEM

K7AEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Harquahala is an amazing peak, I'm leading a jeep club back up there next month. I was amazed to find it was a SOTA peak. Yesterday I spent 8 hours activating a summit that was less than 7 miles round trip. Sheer verticality and bushwhacking is so often the name of the game in this sport. If we find the occasional Harquahala along the way, take it!

NJ7V likes this.
  13. KI4POT

Thanks!

We didn't linger too long. It was a nice day and the parking lot was full. Plus, one of our party isn't a ham, so we didn't want to bore him to tears. Once we were done, we returned to our base camp at the next summit over (Flagpole Knob), had some food, then took our 4x4s down the other side of that summit. Great weekend, two summits at 10 points each, camping, 4x4s, plenty of action on HF and 2m, and great food. We're going back in April.

Chris

14. W7MDN

W7MDN Ham Member QRZ Page

That sounds like a fun weekend. Only things missing are beer and guns.

15. KI4POT

:cool:;)

Chris